Stv News Report The Well Might Be On The Move

delboy

If top level officiald are speaking of this on tv i dont see thm being at Fir Park in 5 years.It should be made aware that the Fir park school is moving to the Globe area found that out today by accident whoever buy that bsite will want the stadium land too.Supporters groups need to make themselves heard at a time like this.

You mean Knowetop Primary or Fir Park School? Two separate schools and I don't think Knowetop are moving anywhere. That's the one behind the East Stand.

End of the day we can't afford to move, can't really afford to stay either possibly so the board seem stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really know what to feel about moving on. Sometimes our present home really can get you down and we're all aware about the pitch/maintenance problems but then you get games like our last home game and the old place was fairly rocking.I'm not from Motherwell but I'd also hate to play somewhere not really in the town and in a plasticy, lego-land Bill Barr designed "arena", which is what we'd end up with.

I've not really added much to the debate but there you go.

To be honest, I don't know what the hatred of St Mirren's ground stems from. Aye, its a bit soulless, but the atmosphere at Love Street was pish as well. The 'Well end at the 3-3 game there was brilliant.

Move the stands in 5 feet on each side, make them that tiny bit steeper and it'd be fine.

I read somewhere recently that Aberdeen have to spend around half-a-million every year just to keep Pittodrie up to safety standards. That seems excessive to me, but if it's the case, no wonder they are moving.

We're not a kick in the baws off of that either btw... Over the last decade-ish the bill has been ever increasing and will continue to do so. The club will hemmorrhage money until we move Stadium I'm afraid.

They do and it is, every end of season, like throwing money away really.

Fir Park is mostly a new stadium, the vast majority of it is less than 20 years old.

Believe it or not new stadiums also have high maintenance costs.

As for the pitch, we could replace it every season (at £250,000) for 40 years at less cost than building a new lego stadium on another site, never mind anything that was good.

We will not be moving anywhere unless we get a megarich benifactor prepared to pay for the new stadium. Fir Park and the land owned my Motherwell FC (actually our chairman) extends to approx 7 acres. A new stadium will cost in the region of £7m to £10m not including the cost of any land at Ravenscraig. That would mean we require a developer to pay more than £1m an acre, even in the boomtimes a few years back land values never reached this much. Then you have to take into consideration the demolition of the stands and any remedial works required. The sale of Fir Park to fund a new stadium does not add up. Its time for the board to wake up and smell the coffee. Instead of paying consultants lots of money on feasibility studies why not just accept the fact that money needs to be spent on FIR PARK.

:lol: ? Apart from the sale of Fir Park to fund a new stadium not adding up - which a blind man running for his life could see. What utter tosh.

As told to me by a member of club hierachy towards the end of the 90's, the club had a bid tabled by a landlease company in excess of what you have quoted. Moves also made under the previous Chapman stewardship... Demolition of the stands and any remedial works? Sold as seen is it not? Many existing items have re-sale value too, albeit many small scale although many an asian of slanty-eye would be doing cartwheels at the amount of steel. The board have woken up and smelled the coffee, hence, the requirement for change. Evolution? Embrace it. Progress? You'll never stop it.

Yeah, but I mean spending some real money not just some cheap patch up job to keep the old lady ticking over. They have to accept that Fir Park is our home and always will be.

How, very, erm parochial. Too many trying to grasp onto halcyon days that have long since passed Fir Park by... Would the club be what it is today had we stayed at Roman Road? The logistics of your wish just doesn't compute, there are deep rooted problems (many that non-rank and file would know of) that are making the calls for change.

I'd love Motherwell to stay at Fir Park - it would just be immense.

But it's never gonna happen.

We're all guessing at the calculations - but my guess is they've already been done and we need to move as soon as is logistically possible. We'll be holding off to make the move as 'break-even' as possible.

As for it being anywhere near as costly to maintain a new stadium vs a 50% decrepit stadium - well Stevie Wonder just passed me on a bike in hysterics at that.

The hope (against hope) is that the new stadium will be something to be proud of. What we've all seen on our travels is that they by and large are to a template, and that's not gonna be great.

What helps?

Filled in corners - Parc y Scarlets / Almondwale

Steep stands - Tynecastle

Close to the pitch - Tyncastle / Tannadice

A bit of elevation Parc y Scarlets / NDP / Some of Tannadice

A bit of variation across the stands

What doesn't

New St Mirren Park

Whilst I admire yer enthusiasm SD, our board will go for whatevers cheapest to keep the costs down. A thoughtless lego-built stadium is sadly inevitable.

If we're gonna continue wi adding to our stadium wishlist then decent leg-room for tall folk should be number one on the priority list. If we move to a new stadium then I think we should look to replicate the old turnstle block which used to sit where the Chapman building is now.

For me though I'm in the stay at Fir Park camp. All stadiums have high maintenance costs as Health and Safety regs lead to more pressure on the club with regards to maintenance. Fir Park is fit for purpose. Yes its seen better days but what old building hasn't. If we move to a new stadium in a couple of years time then we could be in the same boat as we're currently in, in 20+ years time unless we go down the Falkirk route of joint ownership.

i love fir park and its our home. IMO there are 2 options

1) stay at fir park and rebuild every stand then most people would be happy

2) move to a nice new stadium

either way fir park is falling to pieces and needs a lot of work and the cost of the upkeep every year could be the reason they are looking to move

I wonder if we ever move if the official website will mibby shows us a couple of teasers ie. A pic of half a breezeblock or the corner of a steel girder! :lol:

Some folk on here have to get a bit of a grip. Fir Park is hardly "falling to pieces" and its certainly not a "death trap". Yes its in need of repair but its not about to fall down. A number of folk are forgetting about the history of Fir Park. Its constantly evolved to the state its in today from when we first moved there. Every so often the stadium requires some new change or another from installing floodlights, covered terracing or new stands.

The main thing with Easter Road, there is plenty of room for them to expand the current stadium. I don't see this room at Fir Park.

It could be done - I think we could upgrade without increasing our footprint too dramatically.

The obvious drawback is we need to sell the place to fund anything we do.

There's scope on the main stand side - the POD could be replaced without increasing the overall height with a steeper stand that reaches a fair bit higher than the current one.

If you look at the shape of the POD roof I think we see that it has tons of headroom that we could use up with 'seating height'

We'd need to remain at 2/3 the length of the pitch as I don't see the neighbours agreeing to us filling in the gap on the South Stand side.

We could however go right to the touchline with seating and fill in what was the old 'enclosure..

That would be a braw stand.

On the East Stand side we'd have to apply to go a bit higher - but with a steeper stand - we may not encroach on our neighbours too much.

The only upgrade to the two new stands, as has been mentioned in many threads by a few posters, is the replacement of some of the metal sheeting on the south stand with some transparent material.

I wonder if we ever move if the official website will mibby shows us a couple of teasers ie. A pic of half a breezeblock or the corner of a steel girder! :lol:

Some folk on here have to get a bit of a grip. Fir Park is hardly "falling to pieces" and its certainly not a "death trap". Yes its in need of repair but its not about to fall down. A number of folk are forgetting about the history of Fir Park. Its constantly evolved to the state its in today from when we first moved there. Every so often the stadium requires some new change or another from installing floodlights, covered terracing or new stands.

Agree to an extent Dodge.

However - I think that the day that the POD doesn't get a safety certificate may not be that far off.

Not that it's unsound / about to fall down - it's just that H&S / building regs evolve and get tighter year on year.

The timber frame, flame retardent coated or not, will soon become banned from holding supporters.

Agree to an extent Dodge.

However - I think that the day that the POD doesn't get a safety certificate may not be that far off.

Not that it's unsound / about to fall down - it's just that H&S / building regs evolve and get tighter year on year.

The timber frame, flame retardent coated or not, will soon become banned from holding supporters.

thats what ive heard the main stand is getting harder to get a safety cetrificate because of the wooden structure also the east stand isnt to far behind the pod i dont think there is a sat when piss isnt running out of the toilets which is an issue on its own hence the reason to revamp or move

Oi! Gaag, Fuck Off :lol:

Also, they do have higher attendance but Easter Road will not sell out. They'll have a decent number of empty seats when it opens. Either that or they'll give even more of an away allocation and still be left with large chunks of empty space.

The difference is the blue-print of Easter Road when completed still leaves the possibility of expansion, but despite what SD says (and he does have a point tbf) we don't have the possibility like Hibs with the space we have.