Odense Vs. Motherwell

LadywellToi

Delighted with the draw. Imaginine playing Man City, Fenerbatche or Villareal. We would have NO chance against them.

Odenese is the best team we could have drawn. Im not saying we are goign to beat them but i say we will give them a good game. They are regular European competetors and have some quality.

We can beat this mob, i fance going back to Denmark, lovely country.

Love the Wiki addition ... "patient" does that mean "score 2 early on play like school boys for 60 minutes then get a break away goal".

Anyway, the recent showing in European competition is pretty decent:

In 2006 Europa Cup they met Llanelli and beat them 6-1 on aggregate. The did this after progressing via the Intertoto Cup and playing "Diet Celtic" and winning on away goals: Odense vs. Hibs match report

In July 2008 they played Aston Villa in the third round of the Intertoto Cup. OB managed a 2–2 home draw on the 19th but a 1–0 away defeat on the 26th, so missed out 2–3 on aggregate to Aston Villa.

OB played Genoa in the UEFA Europa League. First game at Stadio Luigi Ferraris resulted in a 3–1 defeat and the home game gave a 1–1 draw.

I think most Motherwell fans would be happy with results of that nature from top teams in two of European footballs top leagues. We are the underdogs in this tie however I reckon they are at the same level as Rangers or Celtic. Its well within us to raise our game at supposedly better opposition (i.e. 2 games vs. Rangers in 2010, we'd have won on aggregate.)

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Best having the second leg @ FirPark, get the placed filled to the rafters !!!!!!!!!

This tie is not beyond us. Think of the number of players we can add to the squad if we get thru'.

Would rather have had the home game first to be honest. Think that is also your best chance of a bumper crowd.

I see someone has already updated the Odense Wiki page ^_^ Wee bit of mind games, good stuff. So who was it, someone here???

"OB have been drawn to take on Scottish giants Motherwell F.C. in the 4th qualifying round of the 2010/11 Europa League. Motherwell are unbeaten in Europe this season and have only had one goal scored against them in four games. Motherwell play a patient fluid counter attacking style with quick one touch passing and have Euro club record breaking striker Jamie Murphy in great form"

Seems about right to me

:D

Love the Wiki addition ... "patient" does that mean "score 2 early on play like school boys for 60 minutes then get a break away goal".

Anyway, the recent showing in European competition is pretty decent:

In July 2008 they played Aston Villa in the third round of the Intertoto Cup. OB managed a 2–2 home draw on the 19th but a 1–0 away defeat on the 26th, so missed out 2–3 on aggregate to Aston Villa.

OB played Genoa in the UEFA Europa League. First game at Stadio Luigi Ferraris resulted in a 3–1 defeat and the home game gave a 1–1 draw.

I think most Motherwell fans would be happy with results of that nature from top teams in two of European footballs top leagues. We are the underdogs in this tie however I reckon they are at the same level as Rangers or Celtic. Its well within us to raise our game at supposedly better opposition (i.e. 2 games vs. Rangers in 2010, we'd have won on aggregate.

Just need to forget about December 2009 :ph34r:

Gaffer seems to think the first game is in Denmark. "I like the prospect of the second game at home, you know what you have to do, if it goes to extra time and penalties you have the home advantage," Brown added.

'Well travel to Denmark for the first leg on 19 August with the return at Fir Park seven days later.

Would rather have had the home game first to be honest. Think that is also your best chance of a bumper crowd.

I would disagree.

If we can keep it close over in Denmark then the return leg at Fir Park will be arguably one of the biggest games the club have played.

I would disagree.

If we can keep it close over in Denmark then the return leg at Fir Park will be arguably one of the biggest games the club have played.

IF exactly. You also run the risk of going back to Fir Park with a 3-0 (or similar) defeat. The crowds aren't coming out for that. At least if first game is at home you start with a clean slate and expectations high.

Nice reply Finlay.

But if we can progress through to the group stages, it would be a heck of a lot better for thousands of 'Well fans to witness the event rather than a few hundred who can make the trip to Denmark.

We look like a team that knows how to play European football though, 4 ties so far, 3 wins and a draw, 6 goals for and 1 against, and we've yet to concede from open play.

Granted, Odense is a step up in class from what we've played so far, but then again we're a class above what we've played so far.

Odense will not want to slip up at this stage so will probably play it a wee bit cagey, whereas we have nothing to lose we've got as far as we should and anything from here on in is a bonus.

We've got a chance, and we're capable of taking it, that'll do me.

Qualifying for the group stages will be up there with 1991 for me, I'm nervous already. Even if we don't a decent performance will set us up and give us a bit of confidence in the league.

:woop:

Nice reply Finlay.

But if we can progress through to the group stages, it would be a heck of a lot better for thousands of 'Well fans to witness the event rather than a few hundred who can make the trip to Denmark.

No question.

I was coming from a financial point of view though.

Don't know if I feel relieved or disappointed.

Probably the 'weakest' side we could have drawn but they will still probably be favourites to win over the two legs - however we have probably as good a chance as we will ever have of getting to the group stages.

It would have been amazing to get a Villareal or Manchester City at Fir Park but realistically we would probably have had our arses handed to us.

We've been really lucky with this draw. Odense were pretty much the weakest seeds in there, and a lot of non-seeds will be very envious that we've drawn them. In fact, I think they were only seeded due to other seeds being knocked out.

Not that we have any more than a slim chance of progression, but it's good to have that slim chance. We could have been in for a very disappointing time against a real big gun, especially if the first leg had been drawn away.

Hi Guys

I see u liked the draw as well as we did. U got the luck of finishing at home, but I predict a close tie. Maybe we'll benefit from being in europe every year, but as far as i've been able to see both our teams like to play positive football so it should be a good tie!

Easiest way for u guys to come to odense must be:

1. Catch a plane to Copenhagen.

2. Directly from the airport take the train and 95 minutes later you are in odense. The rail station is 10 minutes from the ground and 10 seconds from the nearest bar! <_>

Looking forward to welcoming u to odense!

Cheers

Hi Guys

I see u liked the draw as well as we did. U got the luck of finishing at home, but I predict a close tie. Maybe we'll benefit from being in europe every year, but as far as i've been able to see both our teams like to play positive football so it should be a good tie!

2. Directly from the airport take the train and 95 minutes later you are in odense. The rail station is 10 minutes from the ground and 10 seconds from the nearest bar! :thumbup: )

Cheers

Sounds good, thanks for that mate <_>

Hell this is Denmark. We've got more bars than any other nation in the world considering how few customers we are....

Good times.

How big is the centre of Odense? Is everything in walking distance or is it quite widespread? Don't want to end up in a hotel ages away from everyone else!

Good times.

How big is the centre of Odense? Is everything in walking distance or is it quite widespread? Don't want to end up in a hotel ages away from everyone else!

Its fairly small. If the hotel says midtown/centre u should be allright. Just look for the zip code "5000 Odense" on the websites and u should be cool. Anything else stay away!

Its fairly small. If the hotel says midtown/centre u should be allright. Just look for the zip code "5000 Odense" on the websites and u should be cool. Anything else stay away!

Thanks for all the information, one thing you can be sure of is that the Motherwell fans who travel will have a great time and there will be no trouble, and that you will have a great welcome in Scotland. It was great fun last night having a drink and a chat with the Alesund fans and just the way it should be.

Hi Guys

2. Directly from the airport take the train and 95 minutes later you are in odense. The rail station is 10 minutes from the ground and 10 seconds from the nearest bar! <_>

Cheers

Amy idea if this bus still runs from Billund?

Billund Airport only has one terminal and a limited selection of international flights. Upon arriving at Billund Airport, take the "737 Ekspressbussen" (Express Bus) to "Dannebrogsgade" which is right behind Odense Railway Station. This trip takes approximately 1½ hours, and costs DKK 100.00 (approx. $ 15).