Odense Vs. Motherwell

LadywellToi

• Replies 862
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst thing is, I know its the hope thats going to kill me. I'm too young to remember the Scottish cup and as far as I remember I've put endless hope in Motherwell in Scotland and always get pumped.

CIS final, Scotland-Italy, Scotland-Netherlands, Motherwell-Nancy, that glorious hour against Steaua, any of the times we've been pumped out the cup by fucking St Mirren or some other first division diddy. Actually, just every fucking time we play St Mirren.

I'm trying to pretend just now that I'm not fussed and that I'm just delighted for us to be in this round of the cup and how exciting that is for me and everyone else.

It won't last though, i know that for a fact. Folk saying we've got a chance and that we can go and five ourselves a chance against the Danes. I'll start believing next monday. Tuesday I'll spend all day googling facts and figures about Danish football, calculating our advantages in heights, weights, experience, goals, how bedded in they are, whos a diver. By wednesday I'll be twitching in my seat at the prospect, nay, fact that we're going to win. Thursday will be a complete waste of time. I'll be looking through the draw figuring out what'll happen in the group stages.

Just once, it'd be nice for it to happen.

I just feel that we have really good manager in place for these type of games. Craig Brown got a reasonable Scotland squad to two major championships and got them through pretty tough qualification groups. One thing I always remember about his time in charge of Scotland was that we were very hard to beat away from home and always seemed to sneak a result at home.

If we can keep it tight in the away leg and fustrate them then we might just do this.

The worst thing is, I know its the hope thats going to kill me. I'm too young to remember the Scottish cup and as far as I remember I've put endless hope in Motherwell in Scotland and always get pumped.

CIS final, Scotland-Italy, Scotland-Netherlands, Motherwell-Nancy, that glorious hour against Steaua, any of the times we've been pumped out the cup by fucking St Mirren or some other first division diddy. Actually, just every fucking time we play St Mirren.

I'm trying to pretend just now that I'm not fussed and that I'm just delighted for us to be in this round of the cup and how exciting that is for me and everyone else.

It won't last though, i know that for a fact. Folk saying we've got a chance and that we can go and five ourselves a chance against the Danes. I'll start believing next monday. Tuesday I'll spend all day googling facts and figures about Danish football, calculating our advantages in heights, weights, experience, goals, how bedded in they are, whos a diver. By wednesday I'll be twitching in my seat at the prospect, nay, fact that we're going to win. Thursday will be a complete waste of time. I'll be looking through the draw figuring out what'll happen in the group stages.

Just once, it'd be nice for it to happen.

:whistling:

Brilliant post mate. Pretty much the same thoughts as myself. At the moment, I'm of the thought that we're the underdogs and if everything goes to plan, Odense will progress.

However, this time next week, all bets will be off and i'll be expecting us to take 3 or 4 off this mob!

Sometimes I hate what following Motherwell does to me!!

Along the FM theme, me and a h*n supporting mate did it on FIFA 10, I went all the Scottish Europa teams and he went the foreign ones. Glad to report that Motherwell won 2-0, Celtic got beat by Utrecht 1-0, and Dundee Utd beat AEK Athens 1-0!

Seriously though, I think the fear of the unknown is perhaps elevating Odense to a status where they are considered to somehow be inherently better than us. We've had people saying they're not as good as the Old Firm, and about on a par with Hibs. We can beat Hibs, Hibs can beat us, but it's by no means a foregone conclusion or anything like the 30/70 kind of chances people are quoting on here. We are quite capable of drawing twice with the OF (potentially winning on away goals or extra time/pens).

What I'm saying is that Odense should not be feared at all. It might not be the prettiest to watch, but Craig Brown got his tactics absolutely spot on over the two legs against Aalesund. Do that again and I can see us progressing.

That, and ye's should all get in amongst the Fifa treble! :whistling:

I am bored at work so running several simulations of the game with probable lines ups etc on FM :whistling:

We won 3-0, drew 0-0, won 4-1, won 2-0 and 1-0 :O but thats FM manager.. :thumbup: motherwell are always 10x better on it :P

Christ thats some job you've got if you can sit and play FM all day

Im in an office in a warehouse in a deserted warehouse complex in Grangemouth :whistling:

At least 3/5 days a week I am left here alone :thumbup: it doesn't pay great but I am not exactly overworked :P

Not all day, I spend a lot of time wondering around asda and if I get really bored I sprint up and down the warehouse :O

Seriously though, I think the fear of the unknown is perhaps elevating Odense to a status where they are considered to somehow be inherently better than us. We've had people saying they're not as good as the Old Firm, and about on a par with Hibs. We can beat Hibs, Hibs can beat us, but it's by no means a foregone conclusion or anything like the 30/70 kind of chances people are quoting on here.

Aye, exactly. People are shitting it just because we have heard of a couple of their players: carrol, djemba x2, helveg...

But tbh if you think about hibs they could say that they have an ex sunderland and arsenal striker who has moved in a million+ quid deal, (stokes), a guy who has ran the show in the champions league a few times for celtic and went on to man utd (miller) etc.

Reputations count for fuck all. If any of the guys at Odense were THAT good they'd no be there. This is no Nancy or Bucharest.

It won't be easy, but we have a chance. 60/40

I just feel that we have really good manager in place for these type of games. Craig Brown got a reasonable Scotland squad to two major championships and got them through pretty tough qualification groups. One thing I always remember about his time in charge of Scotland was that we were very hard to beat away from home and always seemed to sneak a result at home.

If we can keep it tight in the away leg and fustrate them then we might just do this.

This. Our strongest asset in this tie is Craig Brown. If we had any of our previous 4 or 5 managers going into this tie, I'd have written us off already. Craig Brown and Archie Knox know the game inside out. And I get the impression that there's a bit of determination on Brown's part to prove this as I reckon he hasn't had he credit he deserves over the years. Dour, dull Craig Brown and his dour, dull teams are the underlying impression you get when you read the media talking of his time with Scotland. No mention of the fact that Smith and McLeish used the same tactics when with Scotland. I think (and this sounds ridiculous) Criag Brown feels he has something to prove. And I think we might be the benficiaries of that...

Aye, exactly. People are shitting it just because we have heard of a couple of their players: carroll, djemba x2, helveg...

But tbh if you think about hibs they could say that they have an ex sunderland and arsenal striker who has moved in a million+ quid deal, (stokes), a guy who has ran the show in the champions league a few times for celtic and went on to man utd (miller) etc.

Reputations count for fuck all. If any of the guys at Odense were THAT good they'd no be there. This is no Nancy or Bucharest.

Roy Carroll!! Over rated goalie. It certainely will be a tough tie but I'm sure the games going to be tighter than a duck's arse. With the experience of Brown and Knox I'm positive we could do something here. I think MFC are getting into the swing of this european malarky. Believe!

Aye, exactly. People are shitting it just because we have heard of a couple of their players: carrol, djemba x2, helveg...

Spot on, and spot on Melvin Bragg too.

How good would it be for Scottish football if us and Dundee Utd could get through to the groups!

after celtic blacked out the commentary on the braga match the bbc should be blanking them but with so many celtic minded working there that will probably be there first choice.

the most sensible option would be to show united at home first then if we're still in the tie after our first leg show the game at fir park.

the most sensible option would be to show united at home first then if we're still in the tie after our first leg show the game at fir park.

Disagree with that, just about every Motherwell and Dundee United fan will have the opportunity to see their team at home. Much fairer to broadcast the away legs.

Disagree with that, just about every Motherwell and Dundee United fan will have the opportunity to see their team at home. Much fairer to broadcast the away legs.

motherwell and dundee united fans make up a tiny propotion of the viewing audience, the home legs are likely to be the more exciting games where the scottish teams have a go and the tv money would stay in scotland rather than going to ob and aek.

I agree it will depend on the celtic game, however, I also think the BBC should ignore them simply because of celtic's ignorance in not allowing the BBC radio coverage of the home leg.

It will aslo dempend on Danish tv, if there is another game they want to show then they will pick that one and not our game. This happened when we played Aalesund, Danish tv showed Molde v Stuttgart, therefore, it was very hard to find a live stream

I am going to Denmark, as are many, so am sure the motherwell fans staying home will get min by min updates from us that are there

pride'

From The Daily Record:

Europa League boost for Motherwell as Odense face losing star duo

Aug 10 2010 Alan Marshall

MOTHERWELL were given a boost yesterday with the news that Europa League opponents Odense could be without two of their star players when the sides clash.

The Danes will almost certainly be without keeper Roy Carroll for the final qualifying round ties after the Northern Irishman damaged his hamstring at the weekend.

And midfielder Johan Absalonsen could be on his way to a German club before the first leg takes place on August 19 in Odense as five Bundesliga clubs are keen to land the Danish international.

If Carroll fails to recover from his injury in time to face Craig Brown's men, it will be a blow for Odense boss Lars Olsen.

The former Rangers and Manchester United keeper has made the No.1 shirt his own since moving to Denmark in 2009.

But the 32-year-old had to come off after 25 minutes of Sunday's 3-2 defeat by Danish champions Copenhagen and Olsen believes Carroll has no chance of playing in the Europa League contest.

Carroll, who played just one game for Rangers in his year as Allan McGregor's understudy in 2007-2008, was replaced by Alexander Lund Hansen, who is very much seen as a back-up keeper.

Absalonsen is being chased by a string of German sides and the 24-year-old has impressed since moving to Odense in 2006.

Against Copenhagen he was watched by representatives from Bayer Leverkusen, Cologne, Mainz, Freiburg and Hannover.

Absalonsen began his career at Brondby and was a teenage sensation, playing against Barcelona in the UEFA Cup at the age of 18 before moving to Odense to get more game time.

He has been capped twice by Danish national coach Morten Olsen and is in the squad to play Germany tomorrow night.

Odense's defeat to Copenhagen has left last season's title runners-up struggling at the wrong end of the Danish League.

Manager Olsen said: "It is a bad season when you have just four points from four games. The players will have to work hard to get back on form."