Gow In Talks With Motherwell Gaffer Brown

Wellworn

Three clubs in battle for Gow

Bert Mitchell

Share blank.gif0 comments 23 Aug 2010

St Mirren boss Danny Lennon is facing a three-way fight to land former Ranger Alan Gow.

SportTimes under-stands the 27-year-old is holding talks with Motherwell gaffer Craig Brown today while Hamilton boss Billy Reid is also interested.

Gow is a free agent after parting company with English League One side Plymouth Argyle and failing to land a new deal elsewhere, despite trial periods in Greece and Russia.

It is believed that Gow was an interested spectator at Parkhead yesterday as the Paisley side were thrashed 4-0 by Celtic.

And Lennon admitted: "I have spoken to Alan and I think he is at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing football at a decent level and we can give him that.

"We are hoping we can move things on from there."

The major stumbling block over Gow's re-location to the SPL is thought to revolve around his wage demands which might price Saints out of a deal.

would have thought we were were covered now up front and cant see where he would fit in. Probably rumours from Gow's agent to bump up any signing on fee/wages :evilgrin:
As was said in the "Ins & Outs" thread, he could be a creative midfield option. The way it is reported in the ET makes it sound more than a rumour.

If we can afford him then I would say sign him. If he can get his form back he would be a great player for us.

It depends on how much he's wanting.

There may be better players available who would fancy a crack at the Europa League and want the same wages as Gow.

Plus he's a midfielder, no' a striker

Both his own bio and his wiki page have him down as either preferring to play as an attacking midfielder that likes to get in the box or as a striker.

I think our immediate problems lie elsewhere on the pitch and if we have spare money then lets get that sorted first.

He is most effective playing in behind the main striker or as an attacking midfielder, so if we can sign him I'd be well happy. It possibly depends on us qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League, or Mark Reynolds leaving though.

It possibly depends on us qualifying for the group stages of the Europa League, or Mark Reynolds leaving though.

If Reynolds leaves wouldn't our priority be getting in a decent young defender to take his place? Or do we have anyone waiting in the wings of equal quality or the potential to be as good?

Both his own bio and his wiki page have him down as either preferring to play as an attacking midfielder that likes to get in the box or as a striker.

I think our immediate problems lie elsewhere on the pitch and if we have spare money then lets get that sorted first.

Immediate problems, perhaps. Remember though that we only have Blackman on a 6 month loan and Casagolda on a 1 year deal. If we could secure a player like Gow on a 2 or 3 year deal it would give us longer term stability.

Immediate problems, perhaps. Remember though that we only have Blackman on a 6 month loan and Casagolda on a 1 year deal. If we could secure a player like Gow on a 2 or 3 year deal it would give us longer term stability.

Thats a fair point but in reading through his recent history he has been touted/touted himself around a fair number of low premiership/championship sides over the years and i cant see him now being committed to a 2 or 3 year deal with us. He would see us as a one year deal to sell himself on somewhere bigger. Would also be concerned about the hamstring injuries that he seems liable too.

Again though, i can see your thinking and would have agreed under other circumstances.

Reserved the temptation to mention him throughout the summer as most folk tend not to rate him on here.

If he is over any injury woes, I'd love him at Fir Park. Would offer us some much needed creativity and is comfortable with the ball at his feet.

If he is interested in coming here, I imagine any deal may be pending on Thursday's result.

I think we need another defender as a priority over another midfielder.

Do we hell. We have 3 decent hardworking mids in Jennings, Lasley and Hately. One winger in Humphrey and after that what, Fitzpatrick who I reckon if stays fit and finds form will do a decent job in the mould of Lasley and Jennings probably not as effectively but put a shift in. Forbes who has a good left peg but no engine and disappeared in games sometime last October and whom the manager doesn't seem anymore inclined to through into the team at the minute.

So if we can get a proper left sided option who can add a bit of creativity and maybe even a goal or two we should be snapping them up given half a chance. Dunno if Gow is really up to the SPL but if wages aren't an issue probably at least worth a look.

If things go well on Thursday evening then I envisage Jack and Victor will have a number of post-it notes left on their desks from interested players/agents who would jump at the chance to get regular TV exposure from European football.

I also reckon many of these players may have been considered by many Well fans as out our league both in terms of ability, profile and cost.

I'd hold off at present just to see how the land lies on Friday morning.

As for Gow, all three teams will be there or there about in terms of what he can be offered weekly, however I would have thought we offered more in terms of win bonuses :nod:

Sadly its the Hibs Gow who then did his hamstring, although I accept he was a star at both Airdrie and Falkirk about 4/5 years ago.

If he has signed though then Brown/Knox must see something that he can bring to the team and when/if he runs out in a Well shirt then we should all give him a chance.

Would question another player on a one year deal though.