Season Tickets

carlukemurray

Does anyone know, or would anyone like to hazard a guess at how much income is generated by the sale of season tickets at Motherwell?

I was just reading online about FC United of Manchester, the club set up by disillusioned supporters of Manchester United who were fed up with increased prices and the glazers takeover.

They set up a scheme where people could pay what they can afford and what they think represents value. Radiohead did a similar thing with the release of one of their albums.

FCUM set a target of £125,000 and while they haven't achieved it, they are close with 951 season tickets sold bringing in income of £105,000. An average of just over £110 per season ticket.

Now I don't have a season ticket for Motherwell, at the current prices I have no interest in buying one, but with the number of empty seats at the ground for the majority of games I can't help but think that something needs to be done - not just at Motherwell but at the majority of Scottish clubs.

It would be fantastic if Motherwell took the initiative and allocated a stand, or sections in the East Stand/Cooper where people could pay what they want for a season ticket (maybe setting a limit of £100).

It's almost £300 for a season ticket in the Cooper or East Stand. Too much. It might work out well if you go to every home game. If you don't there is no in between.

In the current climate I pick and choose my games. Going to some at home and the odd away. However if there was an option to buy a season ticket at around £200 I (and I'm sure many others) would take it up and attend more games, putting bums on seats and adding the support of the team and the atmosphere in the ground.

Opinions and ideas welcome.

away games are often better than the home games, as is the atmosphere

just trying to say that there are a lot of people out there who would go to more games if prices were lower. it is stating the obvious but i really think that sooner or later something dramatic will have to happen in scottish football to encourage people to attend games

motherwell should take the lead

Posts like this really do my nut in, I usually ignore them but you got a bite this time, basically what you are saying is Motherwell let me in for next to nothing so I can save my money and go to away games.......unbelievable.

you said you would pay £200, well give up a few away games and hey presto, every home game.

I agree with Murray on most points!

Football is too expensive and it's alienating fans, particularly occasional fans who can take it or leave it.

I work a lot of weekends, so don't have a season, I get my dads when he can't go, and pay in the rest of the time.

£20 is too much though!

£15 is around the mark i think prices should be, thats inline with prices in other european leagues, and more like value for money.

I went to killie on sunday, and no way was that £20 worth of entertainment, and we won!!!

The east stand has a great atmosphere at times, but its a dump of a stand, facilities are awful, views arent great, the roof leaks....

Compare it to a cinema, bowling alley, leisure centre....

We, as football fans are crazy for paying premium prices for a crap product in crap facilities!

Anyway, who cares, hopefully tomorow night is £20 well spent!!!! :rolleyes:

Crap product in crap facilities? Tell you what mate don't bother going to the game today you won't enjoy it even if it is a thriller. Aye I suppose Motherwell should just let everyone in for free, then all the players will play for free, all the staff will work for free and all live happily ever after.

Crap product in crap facilities?

Are you trying to say it isn't?

Im not talking about tonights game.

Im talking about Motherwell v ICT or StMirren in January.

I don't want in free (unless they're offering), but i think SPL football is too expensive. This isnt a dig at MFC, in fact we have been one of the teams trying to keep prices down.

I can't believe you think you're getting value for money paying £20 upwards to watch SPL football!

Football is expensive to follow and not everyone can afford to go to matches but i still think a season book at Fir park is a good deal. If you go to every home game then you are actually saving money buying one.

You only need to look at the ticket prices in England and at Celtic and rangers to appreciate how reasonable the prices at Motherwell are.

Granted the product on offer is not as good but the simple fact is that sucess costs more. If the Well do the business tonight and get through to the group stages then you can be certain that the prices will go up, big name team at Fir park, more demand for tickets etc etc.

Scottish football is only worth about £10-£12 IMO, and that's roughly how my season ticket works out so I'm happy to pay that. Football is more expensive than it should be in this country, footballers are overpaid in this country, the TV money was meant to help keep costs down but greedy agents bumped up players wage demands knowing full well clubs would pay them so that 'bonus' cash is now budget cash.

Previous administrations have sold football down the river, ordinary fans have been priced out and a more middle class audience sought and gained. The wee schemies were not wanted and have been priced out accordingly, whether you liked it or not they made up a good proportion of our traditional fan base. They now can't afford it so there's a large swathe of the population unable to attend. We can't replace them cos the 'safe' audience football authorities crave just doesn't exist in the same numbers.

Football is expensive to follow and not everyone can afford to go to matches but i still think a season book at Fir park is a good deal. If you go to every home game then you are actually saving money buying one.

You only need to look at the ticket prices in England and at Celtic and rangers to appreciate how reasonable the prices at Motherwell are.

Granted the product on offer is not as good but the simple fact is that sucess costs more. If the Well do the business tonight and get through to the group stages then you can be certain that the prices will go up, big name team at Fir park, more demand for tickets etc etc.

Wigan Season Ticket - £250 averages out to £13.16 per game

Motherwell Season Ticket - £270 averages out to £14.21 per game (if you get your full quota of home games this year)

Blackburn Season Ticket - £209 averages out to £11 per game

Obviously the big bucks from Sky help subsidise these smaller premier league teams offers. But when you look at the average ticket price across Europe then SPL teams are quite clearly fleecing their fans.

Motherwell's pricing is as competitive as can be, within an unbalanced and unreasonable SPL ticket price structure.

The problem is that if we go on the basis that the quality deserves a price of £10 to £12 per game then it will drive the quality down further as the level of player we can go for will be worse than what we can at the moment.

Its a fine balance to strike and I don't think its possible when you have a league just down the road that has teams in its lowest league who can outspend teams in our top division.

We need to look at Norway and Denmark and see how they can achieve a decent level of competition and also finance with a league very similar to ours.

Also the marketing of the SPL is piss poor. Why for example are the SPL BBC highlights not shown on Saturday after Match of the Day? I have no interest whatsover in the Championship or below and I am sure I am not the only one in Scotland.

We have lazy people running our game and their half arsed appraoch has gotten us in this mess.

OK. Had a bit of time to work it out.

From May 1991 to July 2010, given the average yearly rate (not calendar year, season year) of inflation, £7 roughly works out as £10.64.

i was 7 in 1991 and the only comparison i have is that a pack of polo mints were 10p and now they're 28p. the price of a pint has more than doubled as well has it not?

does any know how the average wage of cup winning team compared to the average wage of the OF teams of the day?

OK. Had a bit of time to work it out.

From May 1991 to July 2010, given the average yearly rate (not calendar year, season year) of inflation, £7 roughly works out as £10.64.

Many thanks for your time and effort.

It really puts a new perspective on current prices.

Tenner a game and I would renew my season ticket. In a climate when everyone's wages are being frozen, I am loathe to pay more for my season ticket than I did the season before, despite the misleading 'frozen' price claim by the club; that once the surface was scratched was a lie!

thanks for the sensible replied to the thread

phoenix, at no time did i suggest i want to get in for free (although that would be nice and i'm sure most people would love a freebie)

i'm happy to pay but merely highlighting that i'd go to more games if it was cheaper

i don't buy a season ticket at the current prices as i don't go to every home game and i don't agree with the price of the tickets. i would go to more games and consider buying a season ticket if they were cheaper and would be delighted if Motherwell led by example with an initiative to encourage more supporters to get into the ground. not just people of my age (mid-30's) but kids too. when i was a kid the claret and amber club got you into games for £1!

for a dad to take two kids to see motherwell is costing £40-£50 plus food, drinks and programme. it can't last.

johnstone - very good idea about the bbc putting the spl highlights on on a saturday night

Even the big guns in England offer good value. It costs me £37 for myself and son to go to Man Utd and about £26 for the train down. Last season it cost me about the same to watch the Well at Tannadice.Better value down south by far.

£700 for the cheapest season ticket for you and our son...........which train company did you travel with £26 were you on the roof :rolleyes:

Even the big guns in England offer good value. It costs me £37 for myself and son to go to Man Utd and about £26 for the train down. Last season it cost me about the same to watch the Well at Tannadice.Better value down south by far.

We've been through this before. The money Premiership clubs get from their foreign and domestic TV contracts means the ticket revenue isn't that significant. They could afford to let everyone in free all season if they wanted never mind charging £37.

At Motherwell its basically the season ticket and gate revenue that keeps the club alive. Motherwell FC is basically our club, we have to pay for it or it doesn't exist. It's that simple.

Believe me I'd rather be paying £12 rather than £20 but I'd also rather pay £20 to keep the club going than see us fade away down the league system or just go bust.