Financial Blunder?

Catweazles ring piece

I posted this very subject before our first euro match and unfortunately, its sadly come back to bite us on the ar$e.

I fully appreciate that finances are extremely tight,but, if C.B. and A.K. were given a bit more support on replacing the departing Coke, JOB, Lucas, I'm highly confident we would be sitting in the group section draw today.

Not only that, but the financial return could have set the club in a healthy position over a 2/3/4 year period.

All ifs and buts,I know. But a little extra quality would have carried us over the line.

I honestly believe the management team would have argued this very case and fought tooth and nail for these extra finances.

Mistake made? or financial prudence?

I only hope C.B. and A.K. have the fight left in them to carry on with a reduced war chest.

Thoughts?

I think the mistakes that took us into administration won't be made again, and unfortunately that means spending beyond our budget in the hope that it yields better results on the pitch. I think Boyle is relying on very shrewd appointments to take the club forward now.

We mightve drawn Man City , been horsed 10-0 and been back in administration

That is the debate!

The problem is, the draw was favourable and giving C.B. the support IMO would have carried us forward not only in Europe, but in the domestic competitions.

We all know where our deficiencies lie since certain players moved on - we just haven't replaced them and have ultimately paid the price.

I think we have what it takes to qualify again. Next season.. we will be higher seeded(?) maybe an even better chance of reaching the group stages... we have defiantly been moving forward as a club.. and I think exciting times are ahead. Hope we can build on what we have achieved so far this season and maybe get a good cup run.. push for third.. their isn't much between the teams in the league, except maybe the hamiltons etc what we need to remember is the season has just begun! Their will be so much more drama to come..

We dont want to get back to the days of spending more than we can afford on past their best players. We need to build a team and i think that given some time CB and AK will deliver a good side. That said there needs to be some investment in the team, a few well placed experienced players to back up young team ie Murphy, Forbes, Saunders, McHugh, etc.

If we can get some good loan deals or unearth some good talent from lower leagues, ie Randolph then we will do ok. I have to agree though that if we still had , Coke, JOB, Jutkewitz, etc then we would have gone through last night.

For me, it would be a recless gamble. For a club that has been down that path before, it was a wise move. With the European competitons you don't know how its gonna work out with the draw, etc and upsets can happen if we draw a weaker team, etc.

Smellic are the perfect example of a gamble backfiring, they have spent crazy money for the Scottish game this year and are now out of both Euro cups - wait til you see their finacial figures next year!

The only way we were going to improve the squad greatly was with Reynolds being sold, which didn't happen unfortunately.

We can't spend what we don't have, and I agree we badly needed a creative spark last night, but I'd rather get beat 1-0 agaisnt a very average bunch of dirty cheating bastard Scandanavians than see us fall into dark times again!

ML1 sums it up perfectly. We could have splashed the cash got Liverpool or Man City and got mauled and be in the same position we are right now. The fact we got a much unexpected chance in the Play Off Round has left us with a lot of 'what ifs'.

ML1 sums it up perfectly. We could have splashed the cash got Liverpool or Man City and got mauled and be in the same position we are right now. The fact we got a much unexpected chance in the Play Off Round has left us with a lot of 'what ifs'.

100% correct mate - also last nights game must have put about £100 000 (after costs) into the clubs budget so not a complete loss.

I wonder how much The Duke would have cost us in a transfer/wages combo? From the outside, it seemed like yesterday was crying out for a player like him who can finish. Speculate to accumulate may have worked in this instance with The Duke's fee & wages covered by the increased revenue stream from the Europa League but, if we lost, may well have fecked us for years to come. It's definitely a gamble, that kinda thing. Kinda feels like our failure to move Fraser (thanks very much McGhoo) and Reynolds has hampered us a bit - mgiht have offered us a wee financial cushion that would have allowed a wee bit more imagination/freedom in the transfer market.

We mightve drawn Man City , been horsed 10-0 and been back in administration
This is Motherwell. We could have brought in 3 new players against that team and still lost one-nil. You just can't mortgage the future of the club on something like that.

I wonder how much The Duke would have cost us in a transfer/wages combo? From the outside, it seemed like yesterday was crying out for a player like him who can finish. Speculate to accumulate may have worked in this instance with The Duke's fee & wages covered by the increased revenue stream from the Europa League but, if we lost, may well have fecked us for years to come. It's definitely a gamble, that kinda thing. Kinda feels like our failure to move Fraser (thanks very much McGhoo) and Reynolds has hampered us a bit - mgiht have offered us a wee financial cushion that would have allowed a wee bit more imagination/freedom in the transfer market.

Depending on where you look, Lukas cost £300k - £1m and was on around £6k - £8k pw , bottom line with a wage decrease maybe,top line way out of our reach.

I'm not considering players outside our wage structure.

I'm not talking about spending loads of money.

All I'm looking at is a player/players to replace outgoing players who can perform in certain positions. Attacking mobile midfielder preferrably LHS.

I really like John Sutton. But, have him in the box, swing in crosses and he'll score goals. Have him in midfield and he will not get up and support crosses from a flying Humphrey.

Finances needed to be spent for a player for our league campagne, never mind the last euro round. C.B. should have been supported to give him that extra leverage to progress to the money making stage.

He didn't get the money and we are out.

Diplomatic as the gaffer is, do you not think he is thinking along the same lines?

Remember quite a few on here want to get in for a tenner, speculate to accumulate is right oot the windae while other clubs are paying top dollar for an average player, we are scrapping around the bottom of the barrel looking for the odd decent player who has not been picked up. That is the reality

100% correct mate - also last nights game must have put about £100 000 (after costs) into the clubs budget so not a complete loss.

Possibly but a match against man City or Liverpool would probably have doubled that with the extra interest and TV revenue.

I think retrospectively we were in a win win situation, splash a few bob on some experience and we get it back with a draw against a bigger club, or make it through to the group stages and get £1m straight into the bank.

I also believe we had a cash flow problem due to the sponsorship deal falling through thus we were unable to bring in what was needed.

Every club in Scotland apart from Rangers and Celtic have paid no transfer fees to get a player. All have been either free transfers or loan deals.

Even Rangers and Celtic have had to sell players to buy. In fact Celtic have made a profit and Rangers have spent just under £2 million.

That is why we haven't been splashing the cash.

Also we were very unlucky not to make it into the group stages - I would say overall we matched Odense. Just one of those days at Fir Park unfortunatley.

I think we have done ok in the transfer market anyway. Randolph looks excellent. Blackman looks like he could become a very good player this season. Not too sure about Casagolda yet, but he has played once and setup a goal so at least he is contributing. And if Gow gets onto a game then we all know how good he could be.

I think finances are so tight that to speculate to accumulate is not an option anymore. Sadly.

Possibly but a match against man City or Liverpool would probably have doubled that with the extra interest and TV revenue.

I think retrospectively we were in a win win situation, splash a few bob on some experience and we get it back with a draw against a bigger club, or make it through to the group stages and get £1m straight into the bank.

I also believe we had a cash flow problem due to the sponsorship deal falling through thus we were unable to bring in what was needed.

That was always my thinking. A win - win situation.

The annoying factor was I always believed we would splash the money to replace a left sided attacking player, I just hoped it would be before the euro match.

Anyway, its done and dusted.

I just hope the season pans out favourably and we don't look back saying, "what if!"

:blink: Eh? Not much sense in that there and coming from someone with the financial background you claim to have too... The charitable organisation were given ample opportunity to get involved. Their businesss model required a 14 week turnaround to secure funding from on high and rightly the board didn't offer the jersey space on trust. So no sponsorship agreement in place to fall through?

You made spurious claim previously regarding selling of replica kit without the sponsorship logo as a need to generate cash... how? Club shop is outsourced, presumably with the proprietors paying a set fee with perhaps additionals depending on quantities sold. Similar to that of appointing a club sponsor - the contracted monies are highly unlikely to be stumped up immediately. So that theory of inability to recruit also has nothing to do with the price of cheese or steam navigation.

:ph34r: Eh? Not much sense in that there and coming from someone with the financial background you claim to have too... The charitable organisation were given ample opportunity to get involved. Their businesss model required a 14 week turnaround to secure funding from on high and rightly the board didn't offer the jersey space on trust. So no sponsorship agreement in place to fall through?

You made spurious claim previously regarding selling of replica kit without the sponsorship logo as a need to generate cash... how? Club shop is outsourced, presumably with the proprietors paying a set fee with perhaps additionals depending on quantities sold. Similar to that of appointing a club sponsor - the contracted monies are highly unlikely to be stumped up immediately. So that theory of inability to recruit also has nothing to do with the price of cheese or steam navigation.

We were led to believe, on this very board by Ms Dempster, that a sponsorship deal was in place and an announcement would be made shortly that would be the envy of other clubs fans. Ms Dempster may have been a bit premature with her announcement but the fact that she felt safe to make the annopuncement suggests to me that the negotiations fell through at a particularly late stage.

One of the main points of sponsorship is the name on the jerseys, if you release strips without a sponsor it means fewer strips on the street advertising the sponsors product and thereby affects the fee involved.

I'm well aware that we dont get monies upfront when a sponsorship deal is agreed, some clubs do request a percentaghe though, but banks will be more than happy to fund purchases on the strength of a signed contract which is gauranteed income.