Motherwell Players For Scotland

prideoflanarkshire

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as Lasley always gives you 100%, there is no way anyone is buying the Lasley for Scotland line.

Reynolds should be in the squad. Scotland are desperately short of pace and he is quicker than any of the defenders currently in the squad. He is also one for the future, whcih you cant say about Lasley.

Did any of the team that finished second and third in the early 90s get a cap for Scotland ? I was thinking of the likes of McKinnon, Lambert O Donnell etc!

I think Davie Cooper only ever won 1 cap whilst playing for Motherwell and that was coming on as a sub!

Oh aye and Lasley for Scotland ;)

I think Cooper was picked for the 90 World Cup squad but got an injury near the end of the season.

This has been going on since Moses was a boy.

Take the guy Macfadyen who played in teh 30's (I think). Scored 52 league goals in a season and then 45 the following season. How many caps......2 :thumbup:

Those figures may not be exact but you get the idea.

It's hardly fair quoting that statistic, in the three years when McFadyen was at the top of his game, 1932-33-34, we only played 11 internationals and we had a settled side at the time with Jimmy McGrory and Bob McPhail the main strikers. The paucity of internationals is shown by the fact that McGrory only ever won 7 caps and McPhail 17, although his cap career lasted from 1927 to 1938. We didn't have any European Championships and qualification for World Cup qualifying didn't really start until the late 1940's so basically we had the Home internationals and the occasional friendly.

Today if you're a half decent player you can have 50 caps by the time you are in your mid twenties, Darren Fletcher for instance.

The likes of Willie Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, Billy McNeill, Dave MacKay, Peter Lorimer, and Ian St John only ever got around the 20 mark.

Not because they were any worse than Fletcher but because there were fewer matches and more competition for places.

By a country mile. "Scandalous" is an overused word these days, but it was absolutely scandalous that he never won a cap.

What was really scandalous was the fact that our best right back at the time won most of his caps at left-back.

Danny McGrain was played at left back to accommodate Sandy Jardine on the right, and any time Jardine couldn't play, McGrain was at right back and in came Willie Donnachie, it was this set up that kept Joe Wark out of the Scotland side.

Scandalous is exactly right.

In my opinion, none of the current squad currently fit the bill for Scotland. Mark Reynolds is better than Garry Kenneth, but at the same time Weir, Berra, McManus and Webster are better than him. Steven Hammell probably should have had more caps for Scotland, but now I think you'd have to say Wallace and Whittaker, and probably even Kevin McNaughton are preferred, although I'd easily pick him before Davidson or McEveley. I think the only player in my time that truly deserved a cap that didn't get one was Martyn Corrigan. Considering at Corrigan's prime (2002-05) we saw some truely shocking right backs in the form of Maurice Ross, Robbie Stockdale etc.

On the eve of the scotland game, I am getting more and more p'd off with the Scotland team selections:

Davie Clarkson - They struggled to get a cap when at fir park, however, the min they move to a English 'bigger club' they are picked.

Keith Lasley, Steven Hammell - Could also be in with a shout of getting a chance as they could easily be on the same level as charlie adam, barry Robson, paul dixon, callum davidson

I just feel that players within fir park are over looked and could be easily picked. Whats ur thoughts?

Clarkson got his first cap (and scored) while at Motherwell, then his next 3 or 4 squad inclusions were on the back of that as Burley couldn't really drop him as he had done nothing wrong in a Scotland shirt - was soon off the radar though. Pretty sure McCormack was capped at uss too but might be wrong.

I can't see how Lasley would get near a midfield of Fletcher, Brown, Thomson et al!!

Hammell isn't anywhere near as good as we all think he is.

Reynolds - meh, perhaps but he can be made to look silly against SPL forwards at times - what would Torres and Villa do to him?

Pretty sure McCormack was capped at us too but might be wrong.

He was. In the game against Czech that Clarkson scored in. Sure enough he moved on a few weeks later tho. I'm proud of Craigan's achievement of 47 caps for NI while at Fir Park. Just wish one of our players managed the same feat. So many players over my time have been over looked, usually for Old Squirm players can't EVER see that changing.

Mark Reynolds - Why can he not get a cap for the full team?

:dash2: Cos he isny good enough.

I like Reynolds and give him my full support as a Motherwell player but the fact is he just isn't, by any stretch of the imagination, an international class defender, certainly not at this moment in time anyway. He needs to significantly improve his positional sense and concentration for starters if he is to have any hope of getting near the National team.

I listen to Talk Sport on the way home and even Adrian Durham was talking about it last night, he can't understand why Reynolds is not being picked before Weir. Its embarassing that the national team apparently has to rely upon a 40 odd year old rather than pick a capable younger player.

Levein hasn't got a clue. Proved that beyond doubt dropping Faddy for fuckin Naismith.

Oh and Reynolds is good enough. Why do some of our fans have this inferiority complex about our players, no other fans I know slate their own players as much. If Reynolds was playing for Rangers which he could have been last year, he would be an automatic pick for Scotland.

Oh and Reynolds is good enough. Why do some of our fans have this inferiority complex about our players, no other fans I know slate their own playteers as much. If Reynolds was playing for Rangers which he could have been last year, he would be an automatic pick for Scotland.

I think Reynolds is good enough as well, talented young defender. I believe this time next year when he is plying his trade for a "bigger" side it will be a whole different story, no doubt he will be considered good enough then. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves to be honest, he has been a consistent performer since making his debut in our side, outwith the malpas season we have been strong in a sense defensively. In the other thread we are raving about Craigans well deserved 50th cap, a magnifcent achievement considering he has gained 47 of them with us. I think Mark will get his chance, looking forward to seeing that.

Injuries / unavailabilities a couple of years ago could have given hughes and g smith a chance too but they were ignored. We can go back as far as boyd (got in only just before he left), maxwell and mccart for more examples.

If you look at the team that played against Odense:

Randolph - Might possibly become 3rd choice or so for Ireland but cant see him being much better than that.

Saunders - Even at his young age he wont be good enough for Scotland. At best he will be an average SPL defender.

Hammell - Not fulfilled his early promise. Also very prone to some shockers too. Nothing more than an average SPL defender.

Reynolds - Not progressed as we had all hoped. His decision making at times is poor but does have very decent pace which covers up for alot of his flaws. Decent SPL defender but nothing better.

Craigan - Good SPL defender but surprised he has managed to get to 50 caps even if it is for Northern Ireland.

Hateley - Will never get capped.

Humphrey - Will never get capped.

Murphy - Potential to possibly be capped in the future but on current ability and potential I don't see him being a regular for Scotland at full cap level.

Sutton - See Hateley & Humphrey

Lasley - Decent SPL midfielder but that is his top level. Not even close to being in the same bracket as any of the midfielders in the Scotland squad.

Blackman - See Hateley, Humphrey & Sutton.

We don't have anyone in the current squad who is better than any of the players in the squad in their position. Deal with it!

If you look at the team that played against Odense:

Randolph - Might possibly become 3rd choice or so for Ireland but cant see him being much better than that.

Saunders - Even at his young age he wont be good enough for Scotland. At best he will be an average SPL defender.

Hammell - Not fulfilled his early promise. Also very prone to some shockers too. Nothing more than an average SPL defender.

Reynolds - Not progressed as we had all hoped. His decision making at times is poor but does have very decent pace which covers up for alot of his flaws. Decent SPL defender but nothing better.

Craigan - Good SPL defender but surprised he has managed to get to 50 caps even if it is for Northern Ireland.

Hateley - Will never get capped.

Humphrey - Will never get capped.

Murphy - Potential to possibly be capped in the future but on current ability and potential I don't see him being a regular for Scotland at full cap level.

Sutton - See Hateley & Humphrey

Lasley - Decent SPL midfielder but that is his top level. Not even close to being in the same bracket as any of the midfielders in the Scotland squad.

Blackman - See Hateley, Humphrey & Sutton.

We don't have anyone in the current squad who is better than any of the players in the squad in their position. Deal with it!

You dont think he's good enough to get a cap for Jamaica?? :blink:

Given the very limited exploits we seen of Hutch last season, I wouldnt be surprised if he gets a couple of moves and really ups his game. Getting into the England squad would be a hard task but we have only really seen a few games from the boy.

Dont agree with atleast some of that. Reynolds is as atleast as good as Weir (albeit he is in his 40's) and Weir has the disadvantage while playing for Scotland that Bougherra isn't playing along side him. Also International Referees wont allow him to make up for his lack of pace by constantly dragging back attacking opponents, like he gets away with evey week in Scotland.

Our International team should bite the bullet and start playing the younger players like Reynolds now, even if we dont qualify for the nexst tournament or 2, we will be no worse off than we are now and it will give us a chance to establish a younger stronger team for the future.