Today's Referee

Kmcalpin

Craig Thomson deserves a thread on his own for a totally inept display. His weak handling of the game played right into a streetwise Accies hands.

Why was Canning not red carded at the penalty?

Why were Canning, Hasselbaink and the Accies no 18 not yellow carded for cheating and diving? Ross Forbes' booking was a total disgrace - the "tackle" took place just in front of us and despite not being touched the No 18 fell to the ground as if poleaxed. Martin Canning gets hit with the ball in the stomach and then falls to the deck holding his head?????

These are but 3 examples of a very long list of injustices.

He didn't but when you consider Celtic are complaining so much about a referee's performance in a match they WON imagine how they would react if they were on the receiving end of that display. My only criticism of Craig Brown is he tries to be Mr Nice Guy too often. After the Rangers defeat he criticised the side for a lack of a 'mean streak'. Irony isn't lost on me. There is getting stuck into referee's for honest mistakes in dubious incidents that happen at 100 mph in which they only have the benefit of seeing it once. Difficult to criticise imo. Today Thomson made a mess of it all over the park and some of his decsions were borderline incompetent.

Times like this Craig Brown should speak out.

Poor application of the rules aside, he didn't lose us the match.

Yes we had a good hand in losing, ourselves, but the ref had a huge influence too. Had he clamped down on Accies fouling and play acting that may well have forced them to change their tactics. For example, McGlaughlin looked to have had Nick Blackman in his pocket all game but much of this was achieved through illegal means. Had the ref clamped down on this, Blackman would have been far more effective.

Our loss was due to a number of factors - poor decision making off the the pitch, a jaded tired performance on it, weak refereeing, and a streetwise Accies performance.

I think his biggest failing was not clamping down on time wasting. Every time a goal kick was given it was the best part of a minute before the game restarted. You can deal with timewasting in two ways - one by booking someone or two by adding on 10 minutes or whatever at the end but he did neither. The penalty looked generous from where I was and I spoke to a level headed sensible Accies fan who had a much better view than I did and he agreed. But again having given the penalty it looked like Blackman was going to roll the ball in and again we agreed it should have been a red. Imrie turned the ball round the post with his hands - he apparently admitted so at full time. I thought Forbes' booking looked fair enough from where I was though I don't dispute the Accies player made a total meal of it. I really felt that for Scotland's best referee (and I don't normally have a problem with him) he was very poor today overall. But I want to keep saying this though - we were murder today and the fact the referee was rotten should not be used as a smokescreen for us being miles below our best.

I really felt that for Scotland's best referee (and I don't normally have a problem with him) he was very poor today overall.

Sorry but ^_^

Craig Thompson has never given us a decent crack of the whip in all his days reffing our games. I remember his first ever inept showing at Fir Park and have never once got the impression he has improved. Maybe it's just us right enough but his performances have never once risen above fuckin' shocking. And that's being generous to the big lanky streak of pish.

I'd be more inclined to say Craig Brown had a bigger influence on the result than Craig Thomnpson had

Totally disagree. Playing Forbes aside what tactics or what available player that we had on the bench would have made any difference at all to the game? The ref ruined the game by his inept performance and by not clamping down early on. The second half was a total non event as he allowed Accies to kill the game by time wasting, diving and persistent fouling. Non much CB could have done to counteract such a poor display by the ref. We didn't play well but the ref must shoulder most of the blame in my book for it being such a poor game.

People are paying a lot of money to go and watch games and ref has a major responsibilty in making sure that the game is allowed to flow and is worth watching.

Craig Thompson should've buried that penalty we had...oh, wait. ^_^

The referee didn't miss any of the chances we had. Not his fault we didn't score.

But if blaming the referee helps then go for it, whatever makes you happy.

Some fouls will always go undetected during games and refs, like everyone else do make mistakes. However, yesterday Craig Thomson allowed much of yesterday's game to be played outwith the rules and thats not on. He made so many errors, both large and small, which influenced the course and character of the game.

That said, CB got his tactics and team selection wrong. Even allowing for that he could have rectified matters, through changes much earlier in the game. Ross Forbes was not a success, and could easily have made way for Mark Fitzpatrick (how match fit is he?) or preferrably John Sutton. Alan Gow should have been moved either back to play behind the strikers or out to the left wing. John Sutton should have played alongside Nick Blackman.

As an aside do we ever practice set pieces? They were woeful.

CB has done an excellent job so far but he got things badly wrong yesterday.

Totally disagree. Playing Forbes aside what tactics or what available player that we had on the bench would have made any difference at all to the game? The ref ruined the game by his inept performance and by not clamping down early on. The second half was a total non event as he allowed Accies to kill the game by time wasting, diving and persistent fouling. Non much CB could have done to counteract such a poor display by the ref. We didn't play well but the ref must shoulder most of the blame in my book for it being such a poor game.

People are paying a lot of money to go and watch games and ref has a major responsibilty in making sure that the game is allowed to flow and is worth watching.

True. But senior international defenders have a duty not to down aircraft or maim supporters in the back row of the stands with their passes. I know lots of you don't like when he's not playing or being hooked at half time. Craigan was the most accurate Hamilton passer yesterday.

We need a centre forward to play as a centre forward.

We need to change it when it's not working.

The list is very long.

Craig Thompson was pish - i agree. But he didn't lose us the game

True. But senior international defenders have a duty not to down aircraft or maim supporters in the back row of the stands with their passes. I know lots of you don't like when he's not playing or being hooked at half time. Craigan was the most accurate Hamilton passer yesterday.

We need a centre forward to play as a centre forward.

We need to change it when it's not working.

The list is very long.

Craig Thompson was pish - i agree. But he didn't lose us the game

Absolutely agree he was a bit part player in a god awful day , at least we know the hackies players were being dicks on purpose firing balls into and over the stands at every opportunity, but we're meant to be better than that, time to ditch the SFA coaching manual and make subs when they're needed and not the 75th minute.

WANK end of.

I have to pick and choose my games this season (money tight and all that) what I paid to watch yesterday was awful. No sorry it was worse than awful. If the ref wont let the game flow and lets players off with play acting and time wasting I for one won't be back in a hurry. Shocker of a ref and a waste of my hard earned....

WANK end of.

I have to pick and choose my games this season (money tight and all that) what I paid to watch yesterday was awful. No sorry it was worse than awful. If the ref wont let the game flow and lets players off with play acting and time wasting I for one won't be back in a hurry. Shocker of a ref and a waste of my hard earned....

Shame you wasted your money, the most annoying thing that Thomson will get paid for that terrible display yesterday.

Twice hes been at FP this season and twice we have been on the wrong end of some shocking decisions !!!!

Randolph fouled/assaulted at Hivs goal,then handball to put ball in net,Stonewall penalty against Sutton Hivs go up the park and score 3rd goal.

Yesterday the constant time wasting,fouling,stealing yards at throw ins etc etc went unpunished.

He then awards a penalty, for what looked like a clear goal scoring opportunity, why was Canning not sent off ?????

Law 12 states that a player should be sent off for:
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area.

or
  • denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick.

THOMSON arse hole !!!!

Sometimes refs get it wrong,but he just decided not to up hold the rules.........will he get punished fot it ???????? Dont thinks so

Will it be all over the papers ???????? Dont thinks so......does nae involve the old firm

Thomson should have a few games back at junior to get back to reality

For me one of the biggest issues was the lack of appropriate added time at the end. There were 5 subs made plus almost 2 minutes wasted whilst Thomson faffed around booking 2 Accies and talking to CB. So its clear he made no allowance for their blatant time wasting.

To stop teams doing that there needs to be a deterrant, but as long as spineless c**ts like Thomson are officiating then teams like Accies will keep employing those ugly strategies.