The Aberdeen Tapping - The Plot Thickens

Wishaeboy1

Aberdeen statement

The case for the defence from Aberdeen on tapping has been made today.

Milne now claims they were approached by an agent on behalf of Brown and Knox!!

This is interesting for two reasons:

1. If true, it means that Brown and Knox have been telling serious fibs. Can someone in the media please ask the pair if this is true.

2. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the argument that they were guilty of tapping. Just as 'Craig told me not to ask Motherwell' is not a defence. Neither is 'but they wanted to come to us'.

It is also pretty comprehensively contradicted by every statement that Brown has made since Wednesday. At no point did he imply that he was the one doing the courting. Why would he have turned down an offer that he was asking for.

Is it just me or is it crying out for someone in the media to try and join the screamingly obvious dots and expose this stuff?

So someone at Aberdeen is guilty of lying. Either it is Milne or it is his new management team. Scottish media - answers please.

SPL please take note.

A bizarre story just took a turn for the even weirder. Is Milne thinking any of this through?

Aberdeen statement

The case for the defence from Aberdeen on tapping has been made today.

Milne now claims they were approached by an agent on behalf of Brown and Knox!!

This is interesting for two reasons:

1. If true, it means that Brown and Knox have been telling serious fibs. Can someone in the media please ask the pair if this is true.

2. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the argument that they were guilty of tapping. Just as 'Craig told me not to ask Motherwell' is not a defence. Neither is 'but they wanted to come to us'.

It is also pretty comprehensively contradicted by every statement that Brown has made since Wednesday. At no point did he imply that he was the one doing the courting. Why would he have turned down an offer that he was asking for.

Is it just me or is it crying out for someone in the media to try and join the screamingly obvious dots and expose this stuff?

So someone at Aberdeen is guilty of lying. Either it is Milne or it is his new management team. Scottish media - answers please.

SPL please take note.

A bizarre story just took a turn for the even weirder. Is Milne thinking any of this through?

Is he capable? :thumbup::whistling:

Saw that too, he mentioned not needing an agent at his age!!! Some serious lying going on. Milne trying to say today that Well didn't complain after Broon knocked them back the first time. Why would they? Broon was staying at that point!! The fact they go back a second time without notifying Well is shocking but Milne thinks its ok! Wankers!! The lot of them. Another 5 - 0 next week would do just nicely!!!!

From what I'v read in the press Brown's story is that him and Knox don't have agents but they were contacted by an independant agent "touting for business" and asking him if he'd be interested in the Aberdeen post. I'm not sure what he claims his reply was but it ended with him meeting Miller and Milne "out of common courtesy" and carried on from there. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter how the meeting came about it's still blatant tapping.

I don't particularly want to go to in depth with this argument because it's another saga that scottish football does not need at this minute in time.

Having looked at both John Boyles claims and those of Mr Milne in the press over the past two days - something is glaringly obvious.

Motherwell,it's board of directors and everyone else in a position of power have absolutely noone to blame but themself in this matter.

Yes, i am quite willing to believe that Brown and Knox were giving it the gentlemens agreement pish but look - Boyle wouldn't run any other business deal without signed contracts so he cannot very well complain about losing out in this scenario.

The loyal old man image is out the window, it wasn't an SOS call from Boyle for the motherwell job - Brown and Knox were touted for the job,and Boyle used it to his advantage to out Gannon.

Knowing that this touting was how Brown and Archie went about business should have made Boyle realise what he was on to without written contracts - plums,and that's what he will get in a court of law aswell.

The Spl may punish Aberdeen for breaking the good spirit of the game but they can't and won't do anything legally.

Yes Motherwell fans were lied to, but not just by Brown and Knox, but by their own Board of Directors who once again failed to do anything when the cards were laid out in front of them. Feel sorry for the fans - yes, for Motherwell FC - NO.

With certain key players coming toward the end of contracts etc i would hope that MFC will act on this basis because as it stands, losing a few of these key players might not necessarily mean the worst for Motherwell, we've seen in previous years that Motherwell always seem to pull something out the bag in regard to renewing their ranks. However losing these players IS a big deal,and it IS a risk and without the correct,shrewed managment team in place it is a perilous situation - one that Well fans would do without after a few years of a revolving door in the managers office.

Now don't get me wrong,i can't Boyle bash to much- things are very difficult in Scottish football and infact, Scotland as a whole right now. I know there isn't any cash and accept that perhaps further cuts need to be made. All im saying is that they need to be managed correctly.

Obviously i hope it works out,but Boyle must now show his worth and appoint someone who will get the club through a very very difficult period ahead rather than be sidetracked fighting for pennies from Milnes table.

There was a contract, Brown + Knox were asked to come in and do a job,they have been paid for that job for 11 months,its just the same as a month to month or rolling contract. The "Gentlemens Agreement" part is there was no contract end date or release clause type stuff therefore we cant claim for 2 years wages or whatever and they could have walked at any time without ramifications.

If theyd both quit, then met Aberdeen officials a couple days later nothing could be argued but Aberdeen are very guilty of tapping up,TWICE! They tapped up Brown + Knox the first time,got knocked back n tapped them up again therefore they should be fined and receive relevant sanctions, the only way we lose out is any compo for us would be minimal as there wasnt years left on any contract.

The only problem with this is that the rules state a 'written contract' must be in place before Aberdeen could be accused to 'tapping up' - technicality yes, but none the less so binding. Motherwell would need to PROVE a written contract,something that i doubt is/was in place. That's the problem. I'm not saying that Motherwell should have been out offering three year deals to anyone,but even a years contract shows better stability.

Aye I read that about the SPL rules, but there could still be punishment for Aberdeen if it was seen to be not in the spirit of the game. From a legal standpoint, Motherwell are in the right so even if they didnt have that concrete written contract the SPL rules want, if they took it to court We would win and the SPL would have to act anyway as theyd look ridiculous if they didnt, if we push it as vigorously as possible there will be sanctions against the Sheep

With certain key players coming toward the end of contracts etc i would hope that MFC will act on this basis because as it stands, losing a few of these key players might not necessarily mean the worst for Motherwell, we've seen in previous years that Motherwell always seem to pull something out the bag in regard to renewing their ranks. However losing these players IS a big deal,and it IS a risk and without the correct,shrewed managment team in place it is a perilous situation - one that Well fans would do without after a few years of a revolving door in the managers office.

As far as I know the club is acting on this issue to try to tie up the players you mention. Thats as much as it can do. It cannot force players to sign deals. It certainly won't be made any easier if they receive offers from bigger clubs.

I would not take all that you've read as being the gospel truth. Your comments about Jim Gannon being pushed out are not accurate for example.

Offers from a bigger club who were managed by others perhaps, but given that the management at Aberdeen are a couple of liars who shat on the players they were managing just a few days ago might make a great deal of difference. It won't be a massive difference in wages between us and them anyhow, and given Blackman is on a set amount paid by Blackburn that won't be in the equation.

as i said on a few occasions before - even though i came across as a nice old gentlman basher, these are exactly the same channels that brown came to our club.

I heard that the surprise call from JB was complete bollox. my source says brown was put forward as an option to gannon.

Something I have always believed myself but never had it 'confirmed' to me if you know what I mean.

Any idea on the time frames Steve i.e. Brown sounded out and 'put in place' a week, two weeks, before Gannon was told to go?

I'm pretty sure Gannon was sacked in the morning and Brown and Knox had been announced THAT NIGHT. There must have been a bit of overlapping.

Wouldn't be harsh on Boyle. Consider the fact that our Board was taking a chance hiring Brown and Knox full-time. So, had they not worked out it would have been easier for the Board to release them, it works both ways. However, in retrospect, it didn't work in the Club's favour.

I won't be too harsh on the club over this. I think it's worth waiting a while until 'Flow/LD/Boyle/Whoever sheds some light on the actual events that took place then we can form an opinion from there.

Obviously my opinion and that of just about everyone else is always formed by what we hear and read, and we haven't heard much from the club yet. So I'm looking forward to hearing in a bit more detail how these events transpired and how the club view it.