Get One Over Brown

LadywellToi

Just listened to Craig Brown's interview on the BBC, found myself turning into a clone of Tourette's sufferer Pete from Big Brother as it progressed.

I'm personally annoyed with the inconsistency of his stories over the past week and manifested when he said that he left Motherwell as we had a small squad compared to the rest of the SPL and Aberdeen had more resources, however in the press conference said Aberdeen has a small squad compared to the rest of the SPL.....?

The final bit got me thinking .... What do Aberdeen have over us?

An impressive purple patch 30 years ago and some serious European silverwear, a one club city (opposed to a town among many others), 150 miles from Glasgow and the OF and 50ish from their nearest SPL rivals. An average gate that is closer to 13,000 than 6,000 and finally 3 times as many season ticket holders and consequently the increased revenues that go hand in hand.

Brown used these as reasons to go for the "bigger" job. So I put it to all Motherwell fans reading this, let's actively do something constructive rather than petulant protests to highlight the mistake he has made. So the task is rather than writing signs, turning our backs or paedo chants, go out and switch the effort to actively recruit two people each for a half season ticket, its not the same financial burden as a full one in the summer.

It would be ironic that Brown leaving citing he wanted more money for transfers resulted in the Motherwell fans rising up allowing the new management team a swollen budget, in excess of before they jumped ship. For me this is a better legacy of the past weeks sorry affairs than what has been suggested so far.

We had 9,000 at FP for the Odense game only four months ago, every single one of us knows at least 2 people who used to go regularly to FP and one who could be swayed.

Maybe if a club official reads this they may consider offering an incentive for the season ticket holder and their two buddies. (i.e. a percentage off the price and a cash rebate for the season ticket holder?)

Let's be constructive in our protest rather than destructive and childish. Lets go a bit of the way to increase our standing compared to them and next season when we have an increasing gate, Aberdeen's will falter, playing in the 1st Division after all does have that effect.

Just listened to Craig Brown's interview on the BBC, found myself turning into a clone of Tourette's sufferer Pete from Big Brother as it progressed.

I'm personally annoyed with the inconsistency of his stories over the past week and manifested when he said that he left Motherwell as we had a small squad compared to the rest of the SPL and Aberdeen had more resources, however in the press conference said Aberdeen has a small squad compared to the rest of the SPL.....?

The final bit got me thinking .... What do Aberdeen have over us?

An impressive purple patch 30 years ago and some serious European silverwear, a one club city (opposed to a town among many others), 150 miles from Glasgow and the OF and 50ish from their nearest SPL rivals. An average gate that is closer to 13,000 than 6,000 and finally 3 times as many season ticket holders and consequently the increased revenues that go hand in hand.

Brown used these as reasons to go for the "bigger" job. So I put it to all Motherwell fans reading this, let's actively do something constructive rather than petulant protests to highlight the mistake he has made. So the task is rather than writing signs, turning our backs or paedo chants, go out and switch the effort to actively recruit two people each for a half season ticket, its not the same financial burden as a full one in the summer.

It would be ironic that Brown leaving citing he wanted more money for transfers resulted in the Motherwell fans rising up allowing the new management team a swollen budget, in excess of before they jumped ship. For me this is a better legacy of the past weeks sorry affairs than what has been suggested so far.

We had 9,000 at FP for the Odense game only four months ago, every single one of us knows at least 2 people who used to go regularly to FP and one who could be swayed.

Maybe if a club official reads this they may consider offering an incentive for the season ticket holder and their two buddies. (i.e. a percentage off the price and a cash rebate for the season ticket holder?)

Let's be constructive in our protest rather than destructive and childish. Lets go a bit of the way to increase our standing compared to them and next season when we have an increasing gate, Aberdeen's will falter, playing in the 1st Division after all does have that effect.

Good post Ladywelltoi. Late here to post but just wanted to say that I don't think Aberdeen will be relegated and their attendances have been much better than ours, in fact, the attendances at Fir Park are kind of disgraceful for a SPL Club.

great post and great idea.........however I'm afriad it isnt going to happen

no matter how good we are playing, or how bad we do........our support rarely changes. cup final in 91, cup final in 05, occasional one off games at Fir Park - yes folk have come out to support us, but there must be more than 1 reason that they dont come every week.

coming from EK, i've tried to be an ambassador for the well but its a haven for hunville and timville - but ive managed to persuade some to come for many years. But with the crowds as low as they are these days and the atmosphere near enough non existant - its hard to encourage folk to come - theres no fun left in the game - for that reason only, its only the diehards who will part with their cash (and too much at that) and attend games

i think the club should move everyone from the Cooper(controversial!), and offer the family deals in the POD or East Stands and offer the full DC to local schools/football teams - not just one off games, but for the full season. The only way we are going to get more fans is if we get the younger ones hooked. There is little chance that someone who is 20+ is going to have their head turned and be claret and amber

Great post!

and i have bought my half season ticket last week, but im not allowed to use it until boxing day against Rangers, i was really hoping to go tomorrow! =(

The only problem is the league is sooooo boring, if the changes go through we might get a bigger attendance but right now it is too boring even in football manager its boring

We need to address this situation first before we can talk about attendance

It's a vicious circle, you need more money to improve the quality and need improved quality to attract the fans.

All I know is I know at least 3 Well fans who are either disenfranchised, apathetic or have work commitments regularly on a Saturday that I may be able to convince to come back. I'd rather spend 20 minutes on each of them than spending the time planning Craig Brown's demise.

Weesacs, I think the problem is too many of us find it easy to suggest something can't happen than being optimistic. I take heart from the story of Robert the Bruce and the spider. We now have a focus being "get it up you Cragie" to try to increase the attendances. Maybe the club should look at that as a marketing strategy.

As for Aberdeen not being relegated, please don't crush my only Christmas wish.

I'd like to see something like this from the club.

"As we discussed last week loyalty is in short supply in Scottish football, however MFC recognise the loyalty of our entire support over the years whither it be a core season ticket holder or occasional/big game fan. We have decided to start an initiative to address the issues that certain former employees cited as reasons for going elsewhere.

Therefore, any season ticket holder who introduces 2 new half season ticket holders receives a £50 rebate on next years renewal. The introduced fans receive a half season ticket for the concession/student rate for the remainder of this season.

We call it the Craigie Drive.

We are glad to announce the following drive to increase our support, revenues and re-dress some of the balance in the perception of some in our game."

i would love to see increased attendances at FP and get the atmosphere back - you cant deny its a good place to be when the fans are backing the team. On the downside, we'd need to start queuing for a pee again!!!

did you not like the idea of getting local schoolkids and amateur teams in?? could this work?

even the group that I sit with now at the football is dwindling away - family or work commitments or even just having "something better" to spend our money on

Motherwell and its surrounding area is an extremely large catchment area - why do folk not want to come? Bellshill, Uddingston, Viewpark, Mossend, Holyton, New Stevenson, Newarthill, Cleland, Newmains, Carluke, Law, Lanark, Larkhall........any others? there must be loads of schools/teams in this area? What is the total population of the areas listed above? And what % is 4/5000 of that figure?

do you seriously think the club will offer £50 back for "recommend a friend"? I'm not dissing your idea, cos I am certainly open to anythig that will bulk the crowds up, but I honestly dont think that will work. JB has tried several schemes already, and nothing has worked.

Do you want the simple reason why nobody comes to SPL games?

Cos its total and utter shite that costs a fortune.

Some good ideas here but sadly the truest words in the whole thread are in bold above!!

Amazes me though that the biggest hope we have for changing the game is to revert back to a 10 team league so we can keep the 3 or 4 games against the scum - and Motherwell were a key part in developing this radical new proposal!!

Some good ideas here but sadly the truest words in the whole thread are in bold above!!

Amazes me though that the biggest hope we have for changing the game is to revert back to a 10 team league so we can keep the 3 or 4 games against the scum - and Motherwell were a key part in developing this radical new proposal!!

That supporters forum / council must've worked well

I'd like to see something like this from the club.

"As we discussed last week loyalty is in short supply in Scottish football, however MFC recognise the loyalty of our entire support over the years whither it be a core season ticket holder or occasional/big game fan. We have decided to start an initiative to address the issues that certain former employees cited as reasons for going elsewhere.

Therefore, any season ticket holder who introduces 2 new half season ticket holders receives a £50 rebate on next years renewal. The introduced fans receive a half season ticket for the concession/student rate for the remainder of this season.

We call it the Craigie Drive.

We are glad to announce the following drive to increase our support, revenues and re-dress some of the balance in the perception of some in our game."

Great effort LadywellToi and I wish you success in your endeavors supporting our MFC. You remind me of myself trying to bolster support in the 70's and 80's when there were no computers, so I tried through letters to the Motherwell Times and other areas. To be honest, I thought our attendances were bad then (maybe 5,500 average) but when I saw less than 3,500 against Hearts, I was totally bereft of any possible solution. Keep up the great work, I appreciate what you are doing and you write exceptionally well. You can't beat common sense and I think you have that in abundance.

:thumbup:

The club is probably at its lowest point at the moment. Our manager walked out on us in distasteful circumstances, we suffered a frustrating midweek defeat, we're rudderless on the field and there's no sign of a new manager being appointed. All bad news so far.

Things will pick up when a new man is appointed - they usually always do, unless the appointment is very unpopular.

We've been through this cycle before, many times.

As Harri Kampmann famously said "The sun always shines in the morning".