Scottish Fitba

Bop

If we had a league of 18 there would be meaningless games near the end on the season. Big deal. The clubs that had these games could introduce their younger players to first team football Which is very difficult to do in todays set up. You could have play offs with the bottom two teams being relegated and the 3rd bottom and 4th bottom teams playing each other to stay in the league. The losers would play third place in the first division for the right to play in the top league. This would probably keep at least 8 teams involved in the relegation battle right up until the last few games of the season. This would leave the rest of the teams to concentrate of europe and beating rangers and celtic. A lot more teams could go out and actually try to beat the old firm instead of trying to get a point. If teams only had to play each other twice there would be more chance of a really good game as the teams wouldn't know as much about each other. The whole thing stinks. Will Motherwell, Hibs and Aberdeen still be for it if they get relegated. I think not. The teams in the SPL can not see the bigger picture. People are turning there back on football and they will not come back so their son's and daughter's will not come to football. When are the clubs going to wake up they are killing our game.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know league reconstruction is the big issue but how about making the scottish cup semi finals a 2 legged tie play each other home and away.imagine if we drew someone like hearts in the semi there would be huge excitement and im sure both games would be a sell out and let both clubs split the money thats made.enough of playng semi finals at a half fill hampden and it would give teams playing the old firm more of a chance if they played them over 2 legs

i know league reconstruction is the big issue but how about making the scottish cup semi finals a 2 legged tie play each other home and away.imagine if we drew someone like hearts in the semi there would be huge excitement and im sure both games would be a sell out and let both clubs split the money thats made.enough of playng semi finals at a half fill hampden and it would give teams playing the old firm more of a chance if they played them over 2 legs

I agree with you to the bit about giving teams more chance. Say we beat Rangers or Celtic 1-0 at Fir Park. There is a good chance we will lose by more than 1 goal at their grounds. In my opinion you have more chance in a one off match.

You know what, 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 teams changes nothing. You can dress it up anyway you want, but the product will remain exactly the same, in fact potentially an 18 team league would only excacerbate the dominance of the 'Big Two'.

Scottish football needs radically re-built from the bottom up. But what are the real issues?

The argument that the dominance of the 'Big Two' detracts from the quility of the league may not ring true. Look at the EPL, only 3-4 teams can realistically win that league out of 20. That is the exact same ratio as 2 teams dominating 10 teams. So having a realistic chance of winning anything doesn't seem to curtail the English, Spanish or Italian leagues. What sets those leagues apart is primarily the size of the country, as it enables larger support, which equals more revenue, which means bigger stadia, bigger wage structures and ultimatley better football.

Is Scotland now just too small to support the number of professional teams. Maybe the implosion of Scottish football would be the best thing that ever happened, as the number of teams that re-form, when and if it is re-built, could be limited, thus strenghtening the support base of the new teams, resulting in increased revenue, better/bigger stadia and a bigger wage structure......thus generating a better product.

I truely believe Scottish football needs something much more radical than the number of teams in the league, to enable it to be re-born as a product which suits all involved and make Scottish Footbal stronger as a whole. Perhaps a bigger amature set up similar to Germany would suit our league structure, with pro clubs limited to no more than say 20?

So......back to my original point, the size of the league changes absolutly hee haw. Much more radical re-thinking is required, but it wont happen as the powers that be are only concerned with self preservation! No body has the guts to rip it all up and start again.

Maybe we could do worse than look at the american system where the players are owned by the league, and that the team that finishes bottom gets 1st pick from the draft next year, meaning that no team can dominate. Now that would be far more exciting! No?

Nothing wrong with a hard-earned draw, and more teams would park 11 in the box hoping to sneak a win on penalties.

Nothing good about parking 11 in the box hoping to sneak a draw either. It’s meant to be entertainment and I would prefer to see a clear cut result at the end of each game. Any “hard-earned draws” decided on penalties might produce more defeats for the Old Firm as well. :thumbup:

Communications and Consultation

The club will consult supporters on a regular basis through meetings and dialogue with the Association of Motherwell FC Supporters’ Clubs, the Motherwell Supporters’ Trust and members of the Millennium and Vice-Presidents Clubs.

The club also intends to undertake, at appropriate intervals, questionnaires, opinion polls and suggestion schemes, to allow as many of our supporters as possible to express their views and opinions on a wide range of issues

Taken from the club charter...Waste of time actually transfering it onto the new website as its an utter joke.

if Sky/ESPN dont like the games and decrease the tv deal then the clubs just tell the old firm to get fucked with their 80% between thenselves + scraps between the rest.

In my eyes We need -

a 16 team league

play each other twice

start early July

mid season break

play offs between 2nd + 5th (2nd at home v 4th,3rd at home v 5th,if win,2nd at home in final)

2 Down, 3rd bottom + 3rd in Div1 play off

Play-Offs 2 legged

12/4 Voting Structure

Even Split of TV + Sponsorship Cash (Old Firm can have right to sell their games outwith UK+Ire)

Tv deal can be done in 1 or 2 packages with up to 60 games per season (2 per wknd)

Have a proper Derby Day weekend and promote the shit out of it

Trial of "Friday Night Football" and promote the shit out of it

23 Man Squads (8 under 21`s in squad) Max 6 u-19s named in reserve (incase of injuries)

Sliding Pricing Structure, Cheapest Adult seat in all grounds £5,Most Expensive £25

If there has to be play-offs (and I'm not a big fan of them) then I can tolerate them for promotion like they have in the English lower leagues. I don't think there should ever be play-offs for relegation, though. Doesn't sit right with me.

You know what, 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18 teams changes nothing. You can dress it up anyway you want, but the product will remain exactly the same, in fact potentially an 18 team league would only excacerbate the dominance of the 'Big Two'.

Scottish football needs radically re-built from the bottom up. But what are the real issues?

The argument that the dominance of the 'Big Two' detracts from the quility of the league may not ring true. Look at the EPL, only 3-4 teams can realistically win that league out of 20. That is the exact same ratio as 2 teams dominating 10 teams. So having a realistic chance of winning anything doesn't seem to curtail the English, Spanish or Italian leagues. What sets those leagues apart is primarily the size of the country, as it enables larger support, which equals more revenue, which means bigger stadia, bigger wage structures and ultimatley better football.

Is Scotland now just too small to support the number of professional teams. Maybe the implosion of Scottish football would be the best thing that ever happened, as the number of teams that re-form, when and if it is re-built, could be limited, thus strenghtening the support base of the new teams, resulting in increased revenue, better/bigger stadia and a bigger wage structure......thus generating a better product.

I truely believe Scottish football needs something much more radical than the number of teams in the league, to enable it to be re-born as a product which suits all involved and make Scottish Footbal stronger as a whole. Perhaps a bigger amature set up similar to Germany would suit our league structure, with pro clubs limited to no more than say 20?

So......back to my original point, the size of the league changes absolutly hee haw. Much more radical re-thinking is required, but it wont happen as the powers that be are only concerned with self preservation! No body has the guts to rip it all up and start again.

Maybe we could do worse than look at the american system where the players are owned by the league, and that the team that finishes bottom gets 1st pick from the draft next year, meaning that no team can dominate. Now that would be far more exciting! No?

But the number of teams dictates the number of times they playe each other. The majority of paying punters are sick to the back teeth of DundeeUfuckinited 6 times a season. It's the repetion. It's the over familiarity. It's the negative football.

The lap dogs are shit scared of losing a home OF gate - yet at every ground in scotland the home fans stay in the house / pub as its on Sky or ESPN (which is basically a public servic organisation for old firm fans) and overall the gate (and income) is impacted.

There are 16 - 18 teams that deserve a slice of the action and a better chunk of the games income.

These are the guys (The SPL wanks - ourselves included) that should be coming up with innovative measures to promote attacking football and develop youth for the good of the national game, while at the same time distributing wealth and allowing teams to have an opportunity to breathe.

Yet all they have done is preserve 4 OF clashes per season and satisfied the OF lap dog clubs that have zero ambition

as well as this we need to bring in safe standing areas, theres nothing in the law stopping it, the taylor report was only ever reccommendations that were taken on board

and perhaps the most important thing, the SCOTTISH MEDIA promoting the Scottish Game, the premiership isnt the best league inthe world and even the championship is full of shite teams but youd never know that cause those leagues are bigged up so much

But the number of teams dictates the number of times they playe each other. The majority of paying punters are sick to the back teeth of DundeeUfuckinited 6 times a season. It's the repetion. It's the over familiarity. It's the negative football.

The lap dogs are shit scared of losing a home OF gate - yet at every ground in scotland the home fans stay in the house / pub as its on Sky or ESPN (which is basically a public servic organisation for old firm fans) and overall the gate (and income) is impacted.

There are 16 - 18 teams that deserve a slice of the action and a better chunk of the games income.

These are the guys (The SPL wanks - ourselves included) that should be coming up with innovative measures to promote attacking football and develop youth for the good of the national game, while at the same time distributing wealth and allowing teams to have an opportunity to breathe.

Yet all they have done is preserve 4 OF clashes per season and satisfied the OF lap dog clubs that have zero ambition

Playing dundeeUfuckinited 2 times a season doesn't mean that the prodct will be any better, it still the same two very ordinary team playing each other that it was when it was 4-6 times a season. In my opinion the number of teams in Scotland as a whole is the major problem, not the number of teams or games vs each other in the current set up.

Playing dundeeUfuckinited 2 times a season doesn't mean that the prodct will be any better, it's still the same two very ordinary team playing each other that it was when it was 4-6 times a season. In my opinion the number of teams in Scotland as a whole is the major problem, not the number of teams or games vs each other in the current set up.

but wed rather watch 2 ordinary teams play each other twice than 4-6 times

Playing dundeeUfuckinited 2 times a season doesn't mean that the prodct will be any better, it's still the same two very ordinary team playing each other that it was when it was 4-6 times a season. In my opinion the number of teams in Scotland as a whole is the major problem, not the number of teams or games vs each other in the current set up.

I disagree - when your less familiar the games more open.

I believe its the over familiarity / cancelling out that's the problem - overall the standard of footballer is capable of providing a better product if theydidn't know each other inside out

but wed rather watch 2 ordinary teams play each other twice than 4-6 times

I think that is exactly the type of short-termism that has resulted in Scottish Football being what it is! Crap.

It's just my opinion, but I just think that attitude is all wrong!

To move away from football......look at what happened to Rover. They refused to modernise and revolutionise.....the end result being that they no longer exist!

I think that is exactly the type of short-termism that has resulted in Scottish Football being what it is! Crap.

It's just my opinion, but I just think that attitude is all wrong!

To move away from football......look at what happened to Rover. They refused to modernise and revolutionise.....the end result being that they no longer exist!

how is my attitude all wrong because i would rather watch 2 ordinary teams play each other twice a season than 4-6 times.i sat through that pish at hamilton on saturday and when we played them at fir park earlier in the season and both games were absolute dire so why would i want to see they sort of games on a more regular basis playing each other twice in a season is more than enough

how is my attitude all wrong because i would rather watch 2 ordinary teams play each other twice a season than 4-6 times.i sat through that pish at hamilton on saturday and when we played them at fir park earlier in the season and both games were absolute dire so why would i want to see they sort of games on a more regular basis playing each other twice in a season is more than enough

Your missing the point. Your saying you would rather watch rubbish twice a season rather than 4-6 times a season.

I would rather watch good competative attacking football, with players with great technique and vision.

I'm not having a go at you, but I think your attitude is what is wrong with scottish football. We need something far more radical in order to save scottish football.

Do you really think I am that wrong in what I'm advocating?

well said that man, it is the whole package not the number of teams in the league

Your missing the point. Your saying you would rather watch rubbish twice a season rather than 4-6 times a season.

I would rather watch good competative attacking football, with player with great technique and vision.

I'm not having a go at you, but I think your attitude is what is wrong with scottish football. We need something far more radical in order to save scottish football.

Do you really think I am that wrong in what I'm advocating?

in a ideal work we would all love to be watching attractive attacking football every week but sadly the way scottish football is right now were a million miles away from that.im no saying if we suddenly switch to just playing each other just twice a season will solve the problems your right it will take far more radical changes to save the game.for me playing each other 4-6 times a season is definately having a effect on the standard of football on show and that should be 1 of the main changes that should be made in scottish football

Some good points but most of it falls down when you ignore England, Spain and Italy and compare our proposed league structure to places like Sweden, Denmark, Croatia, Belgium, Holland and many others that have smaller populations but considerably more success at both Club level in Europe and with their national teams.

The one big difference between all of them and Scotland though is that they do not suffer from the same bigoted religious shite that we have in Scotland! In every other country most fans support a club because they are either local to it or have some sort of family association to it. That means all teams get a good spread of support and even in the examples you mention of England and Italy - there has always been shifts in the powerbase and no two teams have just ruled for the last 120 years. You can recreate Scottish football as many times as we want but at the end of the day 90% of the population will drift towards one of the scum.

So lets have a 16 or 18 team league as its been proven to be successful elsewhere, will provide some variety to the monotonous shite we currently see but more importantly it dilutes (all be it only a tiny bit) the direct control both scum exert on Scottish football!

Goes without saying the repetition is a major factor, if you can't see that you're not really trying. Far more to it obviously but it is one of the bigger reasons.

Tell me this, how do you expect a country the size of Scotland to sustain a 16-18 team league?

Countries the size of Spain, England & Itlay currently opperate with 20 team leagues, but these countries are massive in terms of population.

We simply cannot sustain a 16-18 team league, with the current number of teams we have in Scotland. Some have got to go out of business or be merged for that approach to be a success!

It is all about money. The English leagues are killing scottish football. Mark Reynolds wants to play in Engerland for the money as does every other player. Look at O'Brien, McCormack and so on. I don't give two monkeys about England and their shit football. Give me shit scottish football any day.