Fir Park - I'm Sorry But It's Time To Go

MJC_MKI

See if it's only 2 stands we need, then we already have 2 fairly new stands so no need to move :evilgrin:

Joking aside, the fact we have 2 decent stands (though some believe even they are past their sell buy date) could possibly allow the club to stay at Fir Park. Demolishing the current East Stand and moving the playing surface a couple of yards West "could" allow a new stand to be built there that could hold 3-3500 with a steeper incline and access from the base of the stand such as happens in the Cooper Stand. The POD could be demolished and replaced with a building that ran the full length of the pitch, had a few token rows of seats for fans, a row of executive boxes and housed all the usual paraphanalia associated with a football club (dressing rooms, hospitality, board room, TV cameras, media, etc).

If it were possible, would it not be cheaper than a complete new build? It would give us a capacity of around 10-11,000 in 3 stands ... 75-8500 without the top tier of the South Stand. Just a thought.

The number of good stands we have is irrelevant, the problem is that the site is not suited for a modern football stadium, and there is little or no scope for redevelopment. It would be a wast of money trying to patch up the East and POD stands, the more cost effective option is to relocate to a new purpose built stadium.

The club could then get a stadium that was up to 21st century standards, good transport links, car parking etc, as well as being able to be used on non match days for various other business activities to bring in extra money. Look at the new grounds that have been built in recent years and learn from the mistakes made, ie not filling the corners in and we could have a 10k seat stradium to be proud of. So sell FP and get moving to a new home, maybe the " Ravenscraig Arena" :nod:

The number of good stands we have is irrelevant, the problem is that the site is not suited for a modern football stadium, and there is little or no scope for redevelopment. It would be a wast of money trying to patch up the East and POD stands, the more cost effective option is to relocate to a new purpose built stadium.

The club could then get a stadium that was up to 21st century standards, good transport links, car parking etc, as well as being able to be used on non match days for various other business activities to bring in extra money. Look at the new grounds that have been built in recent years and learn from the mistakes made, ie not filling the corners in and we could have a 10k seat stradium to be proud of. So sell FP and get moving to a new home, maybe the " Ravenscraig Arena" :nod:

I don't think we could move to the Ravenscraig even if we wanted to, is not all the land already earmarked for development?. I wouldn't mind using up the spare bit of land that leads from North Motherwell at the bottom of Watling Street into Strathclyde Park, thats a really huge piece of undeveloped land. I know it will be classed as greenbelt but if they can build an amusement park there then we can build a stadium. Obviously we would have to build a road that leads to the park road to get folk onto the motorway sharpish but the land is there. Checked Google maps and you can fit the current Fir Park in there over three or four times.

Let's get a level pitch. Wow that would be new for us. Time it was bulldozed and to criticise all and sundry for the conditions is bang out of order. Great when you can sit at the end of a computer and be critical of everyone at the club. The game went ahead and we got a lift in revenue. Get over the facilities the whole fecking country is suffering and still are.

The thought of a new ground away from everything depresses me. I fear the club will get desperate and build a st mirren type ground. There's a forum called skyscrapercity. you should see the pictures of some of the small grounds that get put up on there. It shows what can be done on a small budget. In fact i will find you a link now.

as you can see the first stadium in this thread is a 15,000 and cost 9-10 million

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=834888

Can’t see that coping that well with the Scottish winter weather and pish from local OAP’s. I can see why it only cost 9-10 million.

xllahx.jpg

What we need is a smaller version of Deepdale. 4 separate,single tier,steep sided stands, a row of boxes + facilities in the main stand as well as the shop,an MFC museum,conference suite,sports bar + restaurant to bring in non matchday finance

That's bizzarre, 6 of us just went there on Tuesday, just for the crack and a swally really. Tidy ground, if a bit monotonous though. 3 sides are basically Tynecastle - right down to the look of the canteliever roofing and metalwork. What I liked though is the 'new' stand is only about 1/3 the size of the others in terms of seating area but due to a row of exec boxes, space for a future row of executive seating and the pitch of the roof the height of the stand is the same as the other 3.

That website there is cracking though - plenty of inspiration to draw from. Although I am now edging towards the camp of just binning the POD and East, having a 'building' on the main side with exec boxes and a small enclosure of seating and throwing up a Hibs East/ Jackie Husband from Thistle/Hearts Weatfield and be done with it.

I don't think we could move to the Ravenscraig even if we wanted to, is not all the land already earmarked for development?. I wouldn't mind using up the spare bit of land that leads from North Motherwell at the bottom of Watling Street into Strathclyde Park, thats a really huge piece of undeveloped land. I know it will be classed as greenbelt but if they can build an amusement park there then we can build a stadium. Obviously we would have to build a road that leads to the park road to get folk onto the motorway sharpish but the land is there. Checked Google maps and you can fit the current Fir Park in there over three or four times.

Although the craig site has plans they do include an industrial campus

http://www.ravenscraig.co.uk/masterplan.asp given the current economic crisis is that really pheasible or would it not serve better for a community football club to have it ?

...................... Although I am now edging towards the camp of just binning the POD and East, having a 'building' on the main side with exec boxes and a small enclosure of seating and throwing up a Hibs East/ Jackie Husband from Thistle/Hearts Weatfield and be done with it.

And we stay at FP and everyone's happy, even Fatcalf :D

Just in case IaninOz feels out....here is Skilled Park home of the Gold Coast United and the Gold Coast Titans RL Club

http://www.skilledpark.com.au/

A nice wee ground more realistic size for Motherwell...

Love Skilled Park especially as it's only a stone's throw from my house. Even been tempted to go to a Titan's game but only tempted mind never taken the step to watch the odd shaped ball sport quite yet.

SteelmaninOZ wrote; A nice wee ground more realistic size for Motherwell...

Ermmm .... 27000 is perhaps a little ambitious for a club who can only really hope for 8-9000 even for the biggest of games (like the Odense Europa game earlier this season).

Jaun Kerse wrote; Although I am now edging towards the camp of just binning the POD and East, having a 'building' on the main side with exec boxes and a small enclosure of seating and throwing up a Hibs East/ Jackie Husband from Thistle/Hearts Weatfield and be done with it.

Agreed. Though it would mean the club having to stump up all the cash with there being no seed money from the sale of Fir Park. It would also be preferable (IMO) to level the pitch at the same time, as well as moving the playing surface a couple of yards West, to increase the potential capacity of a new East Stand. This would require an expensive relaying of the pitch though .... again :angry: .

It's all about the money unfortunately. This is where it ties in with the potential re-organisation of the game. If the league expands to 16, it may be worthwhile investing a few £m in the likliehood the club would have a sustained access to the revenue from playing in the top flight. If it is reduced to 10 though, the chances of being able to invest in the stadium and retain top flight status are much, much slimmer and could be disastrous. Unfortunately, those in power in Scottish Football are far more interested in maximising the OF's revenues than what's best for the likes of Motherwell. So it looks like the club may have to take a massive risk to upgrade the ground or do nothing and watch the stadium slowly fall apart around it in a 10 team league :P .

With the current economic climate I'm increasingly coming round to the idea of inhibiting spectator access to the POD, demolishing the East Stand and replacing it with a structure similar to those at Aalborg (the middle pic), Ravenhill, Esbjerg, Viborg

Getting the local council, education authority, and other partners onboard is crucial.

Whilst I appreciate the feelings and sentiment expressed on this topic, we must be honest with ourselves about it. We are just going to have to resign ourselves to playing at FP for some considerable time and perhaps with some sections of the ground closed off for spectator access.

With the current economic climate I'm increasingly coming round to the idea of inhibiting spectator access to the POD, demolishing the East Stand and replacing it with a structure similar to those at Aalborg (the middle pic), Ravenhill, Esbjerg, Viborg

Getting the local council, education authority, and other partners onboard is crucial.

Would be nice if we could afford them !!!!!

Would like the Aalborg for the East or Esbjerg for the main ;)

What would the costs be for sorting out the repairs of the plumbing works in the East Stand? Would it be within the means of the MST to make a contribution towards it?

I accept that its not perhaps where the Trust would ideally want to be spending their money but sorting this out so you don't have to wade through puddles or have a situation where there are bins catching drips would have a direct benefit to a fair percentage of our home support and that would surely fit the remit of the Trust of looking out for our own, no?

In the early-mid days of the Trust there was a non-specific fund where fans could donate to if they so wished - again if that fund still has monies in it, would that be available to spend on a project such as this?

Going forward I recall there was talk of re-starting the fund at one point. If as we suspect we'll be doing patch-up jobs around the old place for a while to come yet then perhaps a fund with something set aside for similar might be an idea.