Annual Rant

Wee Alpha

The time has come etc.

New Manager :- Having survived many managers at the Ark ,I don't really care who we get as 1. If they are any good we will only have them for a short time and 2. God forbid they're gash and we punt them.

I've been around for Malpass, Kampman, Roger Hynd and Willie McLean and Ally. So Managers come and managers go Will I still be there ? YES

Players :- Every player wants to better themselves by moving on to bigger and better things,don't blame them.

Like everyone else they are looking after No 1 . Nick Blackman , Alan Gow and any other 'well player with an ounce of talent will be off as soon as someone calls. Gone are the days of loyalty to a club , unfortunately there are no more Joe Warks around. Those who are 'loyal' to the club are just not good enough for anyone bigger

Are todays players less talented than 60s 70s players ? No ,they're fitter and stronger but they have any talent they have coached out of them from a young age. They have to conform to play a 'tactical game' where not getting beat is the main theme. Hence zero entertainment ( with the exception of Hibs game, once in a blue moon )

Pricing:- Having paid for me and my boys to sit in the East Stand on a cold winters day with no toilets and NO PIES at Half time I thought ' 6 of my family could be in the warm cinema just now with coke and popcorn each for half the price'. thats entertainment value . Bring on summer football ASAP as well.

SPL:- Time to smash the Duopoly. The biggot brothers have it sewn up. Champions League Money Guaranteed every year as long as they buy up any player / team that threatens to break that duopoly. Best way to get transfer to either of the biggot brothers is score against them !

A twenty team division to bring back all our 'town ' teams. The happiest time I had as a dosser was following Davie Hay's team around the country and watching us WIN on a regular basis Which WILL bring the fans back.

Finally , you are a 'Well fan , we are punching above our weight, take the good with the bad . Hard times will come our way and we will rise and fall. Every now and then we will have our moments Faddy, Juke, Kirky, Dixie. Enjoy the rollercoaster !!!

Why do people persist in using Dossers as a nickname for motherwell, :thumbup: we have always been known as the Steelmen and IMHO always will be.

I can't give you precise dates but we were certainly known as the Dossers as far back as the 1920s - and I suspect before that too. Its likley that the term predates "Steelmen".

The time has come etc.

New Manager :- Having survived many managers at the Ark ,I don't really care who we get as 1. If they are any good we will only have them for a short time and 2. God forbid they're gash and we punt them.

I've been around for Malpass, Kampman, Roger Hynd and Willie McLean and Ally. So Managers come and managers go Will I still be there ? YES

Players :- Every player wants to better themselves by moving on to bigger and better things,don't blame them.

Like everyone else they are looking after No 1 . Nick Blackman , Alan Gow and any other 'well player with an ounce of talent will be off as soon as someone calls. Gone are the days of loyalty to a club , unfortunately there are no more Joe Warks around. Those who are 'loyal' to the club are just not good enough for anyone bigger

Are todays players less talented than 60s 70s players ? No ,they're fitter and stronger but they have any talent they have coached out of them from a young age. They have to conform to play a 'tactical game' where not getting beat is the main theme. Hence zero entertainment ( with the exception of Hibs game, once in a blue moon )

Pricing:- Having paid for me and my boys to sit in the East Stand on a cold winters day with no toilets and NO PIES at Half time I thought ' 6 of my family could be in the warm cinema just now with coke and popcorn each for half the price'. thats entertainment value . Bring on summer football ASAP as well.

SPL:- Time to smash the Duopoly. The biggot brothers have it sewn up. Champions League Money Guaranteed every year as long as they buy up any player / team that threatens to break that duopoly. Best way to get transfer to either of the biggot brothers is score against them !

A twenty team division to bring back all our 'town ' teams. The happiest time I had as a dosser was following Davie Hay's team around the country and watching us WIN on a regular basis Which WILL bring the fans back.

Finally , you are a 'Well fan , we are punching above our weight, take the good with the bad . Hard times will come our way and we will rise and fall. Every now and then we will have our moments Faddy, Juke, Kirky, Dixie. Enjoy the rollercoaster !!!

I have been there done that since Ancell (1961) and I agree with what you said...

I thought the term "Dossers" was as a result of an Off The Ball competition to find a nick name for 'Well fans. I've been a 'Well fan since about 1970 and never heard the term used by anyone to describe 'Well fans before that programme. I believe it was meant to imply people from Lanarkshire were workshy benefit cheats. As such, I've never really liked it. It may have been used to slag off fans of various clubs over the years as a general Scots insult but I don't think it has always been a 'Well only tag.

I thought the term "Dossers" was as a result of an Off The Ball competition to find a nick name for 'Well fans. I've been a 'Well fan since about 1970 and never heard the term used by anyone to describe 'Well fans before that programme. I believe it was meant to imply people from Lanarkshire were workshy benefit cheats. As such, I've never really liked it. It may have been used to slag off fans of various clubs over the years as a general Scots insult but I don't think it has always been a 'Well only tag.

Well before your time then.

I’m sure ther are many reasons put forward for the Dossers nickname but according to Mr Swinburne...

The club's nickname is in fact ‘The Steelmen’. Another unofficial nickname is ‘The Dossers’ and it is suggested that this could be a reference to the steel workers who used to sleep during the nightshift at the steelworks!

Do any of the Dosser clan really want to be describing themselves as workshy, benefit cheating, rough sleeping hobo's as that's what the term means.

dosser2n 1. Brit slang a person who sleeps in dosshouses2. (Social Welfare) Brit slang another word for dosshouse3. Slang a lazy person; idlerhc_dict()Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun1.dosser - someone who sleeps in any convenient place street personhobo, tramp, bum - a disreputable vagrant; "a homeless tramp"; "he tried to help the really down-and-out bums"wn()Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

The nickname is more suited to the Green half of the ugly sisters in Glasgow.

We are Motherwell, We are the Steelmen :wallbash: