Time To Go On Strike

Amber_nectar

Problem is Tamy, the Auld Firm hold all the cards. They each have more fans than the rest of the Clubs in Scotland put together and thus have the pulling power re:-sponsorship/advertising/TV rites, and the rest of us have actually agreed to give them 40% each from the income generated by deals with the aforementioned. That leaves the rest of us with 20% to split between us :doh:

They've always been big - something to do with each of them being aligned with one of the two main religions in the land.

Pretty sad but if we trace all this shit back to root cause - bang there it is - the big sectarian divide = the big revenue imbalance

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not happy with the chance of going back to a 10 team SPL......but unfortunately as most people have commented on The bigot bros/Sky want 4 old firm games a season, if not we will lose money on the tv deal,where most of the money comes from.

We all want 16 team league,summer football,attractive football,more realistic prices etc etc.

But in the current climate/product provided/costs etc etc I dont think thats ever going to

happen,majority of SPL chaimen will not bite the hand that feeds them and will vote for the 10 team SPL.

The current format has been in exsitance for the past 12 years,and won 2 x 6 by the Old firm and only Hearts have managed to be runners up once and were still 17 points adrift.The old firm like it that way :doh:

I dont know what the answer is ......but it aint 10 team SPL !!!!

Not happy with the chance of going back to a 10 team SPL......but unfortunately as most people have commented on The bigot bros/Sky want 4 old firm games a season, if not we will lose money on the tv deal,where most of the money comes from.

We all want 16 team league,summer football,attractive football,more realistic prices etc etc.

But in the current climate/product provided/costs etc etc I dont think thats ever going to

happen,majority of SPL chaimen will not bite the hand that feeds them and will vote for the 10 team SPL.

The current format has been in exsitance for the past 12 years,and won 2 x 6 by the Old firm and only Hearts have managed to be runners up once and were still 17 points adrift.The old firm like it that way :doh:

I dont know what the answer is ......but it aint 10 team SPL !!!!

Like the OP says though time for something to happen to let the fuckers see there's another hand feeding them unconditionally for years. Time that other hand slapped them on the (satellite) dish

I would much prefer a 16 or 18 team league set up myself so don't misconstrue the following as an attempt at backing the ten team SPL but rather than it not working as has been stated on a few occasions, was it not the case that the league was originally expanded to twelve teams in the mid-1980's under the guise of protecting the full-time teams in Scotland (ourselves included)?

I was only ten or eleven at the time so perhaps the guys who can recall that era better than me will be better placed to comment but given that you had Dundee Utd reaching the UEFA Cup Final having only a couple years earlier been in a European Cup Semi Final and you were less than a handful of years after Aberdeen had won the Cup Winners Cup. Scotland were still qualifying for World Cups etc. Scottish football certainly wasn't in as poor a state as it is now.

Is this what the clubs are trying to grasp at or is it as we all suspect simply about money?

Not a lot to say that hasn't already been said but if it goes to a ten team league then +1 onto the list of people who will not be back.

Time for fans to start showing the amount of respect that we are given and since voting on a poll counts for nothing we are only left with voting with our feet.

Good luck to all clubs when the 'support' dies from TV companies as they will not show an ounce of the support that fans have shown over the years when times do get tough.

To get back to a more level playing field we have to get rid of TV from the game. If we lose £1 Million on it so what, the Old Firm will lose a helluva lot more than we will seeing as they already get the majority of the dosh.

I can't remember watching an SPL game on Sky or ESPN, wouldn't contemplate doing so cos in reality it isn't very good viewing watching someone else's team. Occasionally watch an English game, more likely Championship though but get bored of it after 20 minutes or so and go do the hoovering instead. In short I like to watch my team live, I don't want wall to wall fitba' and until everyone starts boycotting TV games nothing will change. Not going to happen I know but that's the world we live in. The ba' is well and truly burst until we see TV get fed up with their toy. Hopefully it will happen pretty soon.

I would much prefer a 16 or 18 team league set up myself so don't misconstrue the following as an attempt at backing the ten team SPL but rather than it not working as has been stated on a few occasions, was it not the case that the league was originally expanded to twelve teams in the mid-1980's under the guise of protecting the full-time teams in Scotland (ourselves included)?

I was only ten or eleven at the time so perhaps the guys who can recall that era better than me will be better placed to comment but given that you had Dundee Utd reaching the UEFA Cup Final having only a couple years earlier been in a European Cup Semi Final and you were less than a handful of years after Aberdeen had won the Cup Winners Cup. Scotland were still qualifying for World Cups etc. Scottish football certainly wasn't in as poor a state as it is now.

Is this what the clubs are trying to grasp at or is it as we all suspect simply about money?

Back in the 80's though, weren't we all still splitting the gate money at every game?

Good luck to all clubs when the 'support' dies from TV companies as they will not show an ounce of the support that fans have shown over the years when times do get tough.

My sentiments exactly. I never understand the tv and highlights bollocks anyway. Correct me if im wrong but sky offer £12M, I read in an earlier post that the ugly sisters take 80% of that (although i thought 60) so between the remaining ten thats 2% each = £240,000. At £20 a ticket we'd need 12,000 more fans through the gates over 20 games. Is that impossible? We'd maybe make a loss but wouldn't it be worth it to at least start to get an atmosphere back? As has been said though its not about us diddy teams is it.

Apologies for the number crunching but its something that iv always thought.

And to add this 10 team thing cant go ahead or we are done for. I have come to dispise doncaster and his high earning kronies that dont even think outside the box...scratch that, outside the OF.

When you take a step back it all comes down to the cold hard fact that increasing the number of teams will equal a bad financial hit for the club. T he club simply cannot vote for that! Surely the arguement ends there.

it would be the same for every club though and they would all have to cut their cloth accordingly. Taking a step backwards to go forward longterm imo

Totally agree with the whole get TV tae f--- debate. In addition to running the finances they also dictate when teams will play so we end up being asked to attend every night of the week throughout a season. Back when you knew every second Saturday was a home game you also knew your season ticket would be used- now these bassas can have a game changed to suit them and not you. NO FAIR.

Agents know how much your team might get from TV money and then try to get it for their client so your team gets nothing. NO FAIR.

Advertisers know how many games you will get and only book track adverts for those games.

Bigot Brothers fans know they don,t need to come to away games which are televised so we lose income. NO FAIR.

Doncaster is only the latest in a long line of hiearchy in Scottish Football who only sees the pound sign as relevant and only recognises the easy way to achieve more pounds at the expense of the game.

We are only buying mediocrity at or highest level, so why bother?

My sentiments exactly. I never understand the tv and highlights bollocks anyway. Correct me if im wrong but sky offer £12M, I read in an earlier post that the ugly sisters take 80% of that (although i thought 60) so between the remaining ten thats 2% each = £240,000. At £20 a ticket we'd need 12,000 more fans through the gates over 20 games. Is that impossible? We'd maybe make a loss but wouldn't it be worth it to at least start to get an atmosphere back? As has been said though its not about us diddy teams is it.

the total amount of income from tv + radio is the same as the total gate receipts. for season 08/09 gate receipts totalled 1.438m and tv/radio 1.429m.

10 or 12 doesn't really bother me, if it means we don't need to play accies and midden for a while then it can't be all bad.

Maybe we should start wearing Petrol Blue & White scarves

That would work....If it was MOtherwell we had the beef with :doh:

I Think the Ten Team Format Would be totally disgraceful and even though I would still support Motherwell, I wouldn't even tun e in for the games on TV! Only Cup Games and European Tie where the SPL do not gain will I go to games! I would be too embarrassed more than anything !

can someone please explain this to me....

I have recently heard that the reluctance of expanding the league to 16/18 teams is because the financies have to be divided 16 or 18 ways and this would be far less than dividing the finance between the 2 leagues of 10 teams, meaning the money would only have to be divided 20 ways!!!!!

am i retarded or is there a fault in their logic somewhere?

That would work....If it was MOtherwell we had the beef with :evilgrin:

I Think the Ten Team Format Would be totally disgraceful and even though I would still support Motherwell, I wouldn't even tun e in for the games on TV! Only Cup Games and European Tie where the SPL do not gain will I go to games! I would be too embarrassed more than anything !

Motherwell were part of the six club focus group that put it forward. :whistling:

To get back to a more level playing field we have to get rid of TV from the game. If we lose £1 Million on it so what, the Old Firm will lose a helluva lot more than we will seeing as they already get the majority of the dosh.

I can't remember watching an SPL game on Sky or ESPN, wouldn't contemplate doing so cos in reality it isn't very good viewing watching someone else's team. Occasionally watch an English game, more likely Championship though but get bored of it after 20 minutes or so and go do the hoovering instead. In short I like to watch my team live, I don't want wall to wall fitba' and until everyone starts boycotting TV games nothing will change. Not going to happen I know but that's the world we live in. The ba' is well and truly burst until we see TV get fed up with their toy. Hopefully it will happen pretty soon.

True, unfortunately TV will kill Scottish football stone dead and its not far off. Yet the SPL is bending over backwards to accommodate the thing that will ultimately kill it.

Get a good highlights package on BBC on a Saturday when people can actually see it and lets do away with live televised matches.

There will be a shortfall in money but I honestly believe the TV contracts will be getting smaller and smaller anyway as interest falls away and the game dies.

can someone please explain this to me....

I have recently heard that the reluctance of expanding the league to 16/18 teams is because the financies have to be divided 16 or 18 ways and this would be far less than dividing the finance between the 2 leagues of 10 teams, meaning the money would only have to be divided 20 ways!!!!!

am i retarded or is there a fault in their logic somewhere?

As far as I know the money won't be divided evenly between the 20 clubs. The Top Ten will get most of it, the winners of the second tier will get a lot more than they do now from the SFL but the rest will get smaller and smaller amounts.

But since the SFL has hardly any money it will probably still be more worthwhile for a lot of the current SFL clubs.

If you had 16 or 18 teams in one league instead of two the top clubs would lose more money.

Read Doncaster saying 10 team league would be more exciting for the fans as there would be less meaningless games. His reasoning was with a few weeks left of the season a team could be playing for a place in Europe but could also still be relegated. Is that the biggest bunch of arse ever? 90% of seasons see the teams in mid league have no chance of being relegated & are still a mile away from Europe. In other words all their last games are meaningless. Im not saying thats there no meaningless games in the current set up but for this twat to come out and say a 10 team league will eradicate meaningless games is way off mark.

Oh and i notice he didn't say it would be more exciting as any team could win the league. In other words lets keep the status quo with the mould firm playing for the title and everyone else will see avoiding relegation as a successful season. If that's this guys idea of excitement then i pity his wife :rolleyes:

What is it with all this "meaningless games" pish? :rolleyes: NOT ONCE did I ever trun up at Fir Park for a game that was meaningless TO ME. Motherwell winning is NEVER meaningless. Not to me and I am sure not to most on here. Perhaps there wasn't anything at stake but 3 points but, by fuck, I am sure we ALL wanted those 3 points. Didn't matter teh occasion, Cup, League or Friendly or testimonial if we didn't win I went home pissed off. meaningless? No. Just no.

Scottish fitba'. spunked it away for the filthy lucre of TV money. :wank:

A meaningless game isn't about not caring if your team win it's about people hoping their team win but they don't deem it worthwhile to spend their hard earned cash on. You can't tell me the crowd for a game against St.Mirren for a place in Europe or relegation would be the same as the crowd for a game against them for no more than three points.

My take on a meaningless game is when nothing but points are at stake you get a lower crowd therefore less club income & players not giving a fuck & playing out a dull 0-0 draw.

Pretty much spot on - simply not interested in watching any other SPL games, and can't understand the hype over the EPL

TV football just doesn't cut it for me, and if, as suggested, the 'top' teams outside of the Bigots are fighting over peanuts, then roll on the day we go back to a highlights only package. The TV companies don't care a jot about the good of the Scottish game at large, they see a market for the Bigot's fans who don't go to away games, and see the opportunity to get their pockets lined - you'll get the occassional game outwith the Bigots, presumably to satisfy some criteria or other, but as I said earlier, it still does nothing for me.

TV football is closer to killing the game than ever, but as those in power chase the pennies, they're too blind to see the ultimate outcome of an industry that is slowly but surely ebbing away

MON RA DOSSERS

A meaningless game isn't about not caring if your team win it's about people hoping their team win but they don't deem it worthwhile to spend their hard earned cash on. You can't tell me the crowd for a game against St.Mirren for a place in Europe or relegation would be the same as the crowd for a game against them for no more than three points.

My take on a meaningless game is when nothing but points are at stake you get a lower crowd therefore less club income & players not giving a fuck & playing out a dull 0-0 draw.

Well that's what they mean by a meaningless game your right.

I dont find that meaningless the only games i find meaningless are against the old scum. Seriously i hate playing them because they are the pinnacle of everything i hate about Scottish Football

I would rather go watch my team against St Mirren than against them

So they should just boot they 2 out the league solves everything! :rolleyes:

I am the exact same. I don't think I have watched an SPL game on the TV in about 3 years. I really only watch Match of the Day as it shows you the good bits.

I much prefer being at the game or playing the game!!

This 10 team fiasco has come about as SPL clubs don't want to be even further in the red, but to me its just a very short sighted move.

Scotland should have two leagues of 16 teams with two up and two down. The rest should be moved into regionlalised divisions.

Will never happen though.