Dundee United (a) - 12/01/11

steelboy

Just back and I'm going to disagree with a few points.

1. Forbes had a decent game, rarely lost possession unlike others, tracked back, won a few tackles in important areas.

2. Murphy was IMO, challenging Russell for MOTM, our main source of anything decent in the final third.

3. Hammell, Hateley and Humphrey were poor. Our main downfall tonight was down the right hand side as we were very poor. Humphrey was very lucky not to give away a pen and should have buried an equaliser.

4. Randolph had a few hairy moments tonight, in particular spilling a cross and looking nervous when faced with Utd flinging in balls to babyheid.

5. We were undone by a set-piece....AGAIN. Very poor goal to lose, corner straight to babyheid who wins the header no bother and Russell scores from the knock on, though our man on the post should be asking himself some questions too.

6. Utd tactics, punt to Daly and hope someone gets on to the knockdown, now and again they got Russell involved and looked dangerous, but overall they were gash.

7. Gary Kenneth fouls everytime he moves yet gets away with it. The worst of it is the fact that it's so blatant yet still no ref will blow up for it, however if Craigan or Reynolds did anything coming close to "a Kenneth", instant foul.

2nd goal can be excused as we were chasing the game and were short at the back, was always going to happen.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forbes didn't lose possession all that much be he was more than happy to put some of his team mates under pressure by passing them the ball when they were being pressed or marked in bad areas.

There was two, one was the ball to Jenno which was a poor choice. The other was the pass to Hammell? took a bad bobble jut as he hits it, though still should've done better.

He did play a good amount of passes,mostly to Murphy, and was involved in the play when we looked a bit more dangerous.

Pretty football but with no end product/Passed the ball around well but didn't create anything of note. Sums it up for me. Big Randy didn't have his best of games but I'd still make him our MOTM. Few good saves in both halves that kept us in it. Couldn't do anything with the two goals.

Never been one to get on the team/a player's back but Forbes was terrible tonight imo. I can see his positives (cracking left foot, good passer of a ball, can score a cracking goal) but he is not the best at tackling but more importantly too slow, FAR TOO SLOW, for the SPL. His lack of speed/pace/fitness for a lad his age is incredible. He is unable to run with the ball without being closed down instantly and appears to try and get rid if it asap due to this. Polar opposite to Jennings. Forbes twice put our defence under unnecesary pressure in quick succession in the second half and was hooked for Pollock. I strongly doubt whether the lad has a longterm future (for a couple of reasons) at the club. Sad, as I thought he had the makings of a right good player last summer.

Humphrey was also poor. Can't really recall him doing much since the Hearts game at Tynecastle. Craigan will surely now be in his last season with us. Still have some faith in Randolph, Hammell, Hateley (at RB), Lasley, Jennings, Murphy, and Sutton (although he was invisible tonight) and most of them should be with us next season.

Blackman, Gow, Fitzy, and hopefully Casagolda all gone. Money that needs to be reinvested wisely and quickly. McCall has a very tough job on his hands.

Very poor show tonight and reminiscent of the Accies game on New Year's Day. We lined up 4-5-1 with Sutton being the sole striker - a role he is not cut out for and which many of us knew beforehand. Midfield was lightweight and sat too deep leaving Sutton isolated. The defence once again looked most unsure of itself nad is in need of major surgery .

What concerned me most was we lacked any kind of fire, spirit or determination - all qualities I was expecting Stuart McCall to instill. We looked petrified of United for spells although we came on to a half decent game in the second part of the first half. Very worrying.

Pass marks? You had to feel for Darren Randolph, who put in a reasonable performance despite being left exposed by his midfield and defence. Steve Jennings was the pick (?) of a poor midfield, an Jamie Murphy looked promising in the first half. The game passed Jamie Pollock by when he came on, but at least he'll have gotten a bit more experience. In general the midfield lacked pace and creativity.

United weren't great but worked harder than us, showed more belief and determination and thoroughtly deserved their 2-0 win.

We need to bring in bodies and quickly.

Thanks to those at the game that posted reports.

I would like us to win every game, but I know that is not a possibility. It bothers me however that the whole team performance at Tannadice was far from that at Dens Park and that I don't understand and if anyone has thoughts on it I would like to read them.

I just want some CONSISTENCY and I have said that time and again. One thing about MFC is that we are totally inconsistent and we need to change that whole philosophy. McCall is going to be judged on getting that right and I will give him time, but he better understand that one win does not a season make and he has plenty of work to do and do it well.

Forbes didn't lose possession all that much be he was more than happy to put some of his team mates under pressure by passing them the ball when they were being pressed or marked in bad areas.

That could also be said for half the team. Keith Lasley, Tom Hately and Steve Hammell, and some others were all prone to doing this. Jamie Murphy and Chris Humphrey were continually given the ball when closely marked by a defender or on some occasions 2. As at Hamilton we didn't seem capable of playing one touch football.

Our build up, in general was painfully slow unless we fed Jamie Murphy early.

Did these people who are saying Forbes played shite tonight make it back to their computer from Dundee in ten minutes? If you watched the game live fair enough, otherwise fuck off with your ill informed comments! Forbes isn't a wide midfielder in a month of Sundays, our extreme shortage out there forced us to play him there. He hasn't been given even one start at centre midfield since Gannon left.
spot on

only 70 mins up the road :P

Agree with all that Beesher says.(Saved me a lot of typing kid :P ) Forbes and Humphrey OMG. Hateley didn't look interested and Hammell was gash. pass marks to Murphy only .Randolph had a few good saves but also had a couple of hairy moments. Sutton should have been off after 60 mins as Kenneth had him in his back pocket. Not a good night at all. Well done to all those that travelled to support the team ,not much excitement for your hard earned pounds at the moment.

Ross Forbes reminds me so much of Charlie Adam when he was at Rangers! So many Rangers fans said he was too slow, to heavy, not athletic enough! Good with the ball at his feet but didn't work up and down enough! Was totally anonymous when played WIDE on the Left but was a good central midfielder when given the chance! Sound familiar!

Took such a knock in confidence that he played with his head down all the time! Look at him now and for the past year! Got a run in centre mid at Blackpool, fans loved him so his confidence went up and now he is subject to £3.5m bids! I saw Adam a few times at FP and you could tell he was relatively decent but if you had asked me if he was going to be quoted as one of the best players in the EPL I would have laughed in your face!!!!

Ross Forbes needs a run in his favoured position with thebacking of the fans and I'm sure he would deliver! but I'm afraid that ain't going to happen.

P.s before anyone comes back withusual push about me thinking Forbes is a £3.5m player then I'm not it is just a comparison!

I know its difficult at the Mo, but we have to remain positive, results like this happen from time to time, lets get off the players backs and stick by them. We might not like it but the players you see are all we have got, everyone knows we are skint hence the reason the Brownster left, give them a chance and they will come good. Well done to all the fans that made the trip up to Dundee, before we write off all are players give them a chance on Saturday and i am sure they will come good.

Chin(s) Up and look forward.

Getting beat at Tannadice isn't just cause for a complete meltdown. Although we'd won the odd game up there over the years, historically it's never been a happy hunting ground.

As Billy Bremner said "there is no shame is not winning, as long as you tried with your last breath to avoid defeat". By the sounds of it very few of the Motherwell players can say that last night, and really not at all since Brown and Knox left.

The players probably miss Brown and Knox who were undoubtably a huge influence but too many are cheating the fans with their shite lax attitude. I would keep Randolph, Saunders, Hammell, Lasley, Jennings and Murphy. The rest I wouldn't care if they never pull on a Motherwell shirt again.

On paper our squad is very poor and without any heart or fight we are fast getting sucked into the fight at the bottom. It is absolute madness to continue to persist with the current line up when they have performed so poorly in recent weeks. Get Page, Hutchison, Meechan and McHugh in and see what they can do. At least they might boot folk if we're getting beat.

We lose at Tannadice and the whole world caves in on us. Fuck sake, relegation might be a blessing to give some folk a bit of perspective.

+1 We have been sucessful over the last few years and have been waisted with europe 3 years in a row. A bad season was due but some fans not all need a reality check that we are not a massive club and we are going to be up and down like a whores knickers

+1 We have been sucessful over the last few years and have been waisted with europe 3 years in a row. A bad season was due but some fans not all need a reality check that we are not a massive club and we are going to be up and down like a whores knickers

Sorry, but both you and Cakes are talking shite. Nobody is suggesting we're a massive club and no-one is 'due' a bad season. Bad seasons come around from players and teams not playing well, not the luck of the draw. We were dreadful last night against a very average Dundee United side and very few of the players even seemed arsed about it. Player for player last night, Dundee United are not a better team than us.

Sorry, but both you and Cakes are talking shite. Nobody is suggesting we're a massive club and no-one is 'due' a bad season. Bad seasons come around from players and teams not playing well, not the luck of the draw. We were dreadful last night against a very average Dundee United side and very few of the players even seemed arsed about it. Player for player last night, Dundee United are not a better team than us.

i know where ur coming from mate but i think the constant change of managers is having an effect on the team plus the squad not being overly big makes it harder. I was just making the point that if our luck is out and some players arent on there game then we will struggle. But like most well fans we will follow the well no matter if its in the spl or div 1 (lets hope not)

+1

Member that 1 season Barcelona had that bad season they were due? they only came second :lol:

Yet another abysmal performance last night. Sunday's win gave me a bit of optimism going into the game last night but that was dreadful from start to finish, no fight,passion or urgency shown at any time of the game.

Humphrey and Hateley down the right hand side were fucking useless passing the ball to each other until one of them lost it. Hateley has been pish since last April and shows no heart or commitment when playing and that's summed up at their first goal switching off when Kenneth heads it across goal to allow Russell an easy header. Humphrey should of scored with our only real chance of the match. Poor show, both of them should be dropped on Saturday.

Yet again the passing was poor, needlessly at times putting ourselves under pressure and on other occassions passing it straight to the opposition. Hammell and Craigan being the main culprits.

Sutton was pish up front and never looked like winning a ball in the air against Kenneth. Murphy looked lively in the first half but was playing too deep and wide left isn't his position. Randolph was the only player to come out with pass marks making 5 or 6 good saves that kept the score down. Bottom 6 finish to be expected this season.

i know where ur coming from mate but i think the constant change of managers is having an effect on the team plus the squad not being overly big makes it harder. I was just making the point that if our luck is out and some players arent on there game then we will struggle. But like most well fans we will follow the well no matter if its in the spl or div 1 (lets hope not)

I'm not so sure I'd agree with the point about the constant change of manager. There are several of the squad who have gone through 5 or 6 manangers so they know what the drill is. Even someone like Hutchinson had had four manangers whilst at Fir Park.

As someone inferred way back deep in the thread, we've a squad of generally limited players who can sometimes rise above themselves as a team, sometimes they are poor as a team. If they are honest in their endeavour then I disappointed as I may be to see them lose then I can live with that.

The one clear thing that came from last night's game was that John Sutton isn't a lone front man. Obviously anyone would find it tough to win headers against Kenneth but even if Sutty had won them they would probably just went back to United.

We need to go back to a 4-4-2 with Murphy and Sutton playing upfront together and Murphy is free to drop off the front in any part of the pitch which will cause defenders problems. Of course this can only happen if we find someone who can play left midfield and Chris Humphrey starts playing properly and not as a sprinter on the right touchline.

I would persevere with Pollock on the left, maybe not his ideal position but will enable him a bit more time on the ball than in centre mid. We could go and sign someone but where is the fun in that. Pollock deserves a chance and I don't think there is a better time as we are clear of the bottom but not challenging for Europe.

Ross Forbes reminds me so much of Charlie Adam when he was at Rangers! So many Rangers fans said he was too slow, to heavy, not athletic enough! Good with the ball at his feet but didn't work up and down enough! Was totally anonymous when played WIDE on the Left but was a good central midfielder when given the chance! Sound familiar!

Took such a knock in confidence that he played with his head down all the time! Look at him now and for the past year! Got a run in centre mid at Blackpool, fans loved him so his confidence went up and now he is subject to £3.5m bids! I saw Adam a few times at FP and you could tell he was relatively decent but if you had asked me if he was going to be quoted as one of the best players in the EPL I would have laughed in your face!!!!

Ross Forbes needs a run in his favoured position with thebacking of the fans and I'm sure he would deliver! but I'm afraid that ain't going to happen.

P.s before anyone comes back withusual push about me thinking Forbes is a £3.5m player then I'm not it is just a comparison!

lol