Player Budget

wellfan83

Ive been thinking about the small budget that the club has to work with in order to maintain a decent standard playing squad, and times are tougher now than ever. But I have been having a wee think, and came up with the following idea, as the description suggests, it might be a stupid idea!

Theres a good core of Motherwell fans who want to have the best interests of the club at heart, and bleed Claret and Amber. But I was wondering if theres enough of us to make a committment to the club. A committment to provide them with the funding towards a players wages. If enough of us committed to paying £ or £10 a month for the next year it could be the difference between gettina a new player or a loan addition in next Januarys transfer window.

500 fans paying £5 per month into an account equates to £2500 a month, by next year that could be £30000 to give the club to fund a decent players wages. The reason Im saying a year is we couldnt guarentee everyone could pay every month, so we would need to wait and see exactly how much was there.

Obviously this is just a vague idea, and the logistics would take some looking into, like setting up a bank account where the money can be safely held for this purpose, and a committment from the club that the money would fund a player etc.

Every little helps, and if it meant that 1 extra player could be funded, I'd be willing to pay £60 over the next year!

But was just curious if people might get behind this idea and if it was worth trying to look at the finer points and making some sort of proposal to put to the club?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been thinking about the small budget that the club has to work with in order to maintain a decent standard playing squad, and times are tougher now than ever. But I have been having a wee think, and came up with the following idea, as the description suggests, it might be a stupid idea!

Theres a good core of Motherwell fans who want to have the best interests of the club at heart, and bleed Claret and Amber. But I was wondering if theres enough of us to make a committment to the club. A committment to provide them with the funding towards a players wages. If enough of us committed to paying £ or £10 a month for the next year it could be the difference between gettina a new player or a loan addition in next Januarys transfer window.

500 fans paying £5 per month into an account equates to £2500 a month, by next year that could be £30000 to give the club to fund a decent players wages. The reason Im saying a year is we couldnt guarentee everyone could pay every month, so we would need to wait and see exactly how much was there.

Obviously this is just a vague idea, and the logistics would take some looking into, like setting up a bank account where the money can be safely held for this purpose, and a committment from the club that the money would fund a player etc.

Every little helps, and if it meant that 1 extra player could be funded, I'd be willing to pay £60 over the next year!

But was just curious if people might get behind this idea and if it was worth trying to look at the finer points and making some sort of proposal to put to the club?

That would be a good idea........30 years ago.....at the minute some "footballer's"/ parents/agents..... seem to think that football is the way to making a fortune out of football clubs.!!!!!!

I woluld have loved to make the money I'm making just now,(Or at an time since I left schooll in 1979)just for playing football !

Not slagging your idea off, because I think it may become a reality for the likes of our club, but untill the premiership start to take in to account that a football player can earn £100,000 per week playing football, when the average working man/women takes 4-5 YEARS to make that money....football is fucked !!!!!!

The whole thing cascades down to the grass roots......Smellic and h**s have made their beds and now have to lie in them......you cant live above your means (Unless for alcohol :P

) but this seems to be the way of most football clubs just now!

Agents have ruined football putting stupid ideas into many players heads that they are above their station all to line their own pockets......some people should be happy to play/be involved in football for a living instead of working shifts etcetc.

Ps Sorry Big Dave for letting you down for a lift tonight.....fucked anyway !!!!

Don't we already? Sure it's called a season ticket and the club uses that money for players among other things.

Personally I'd rather the club and currently attending fans aim to generate additional income from any of the 4/5,000 who attended the Odense game but haven't been to FP since. You can only ask the core support to contribute so much before they reach a threshold.

I'd also struggle to accept paying £10 by DDebit so some twenty-something can maintain his Audi TT payments.

See the replies tell a story, the average die hard is at breaking point with regards to the money they put in. I remember interviewing JB for OSB and he said market research he got done indicated your average fan had £50 disposable weekly income and the trick was to get them to pay that to MFC. Cost me £50 to take my kids to the Accies game, no bevvy, no pies or juice, just plain admission costs. I didn't even have that as disposable at that time of year and I certainly won't be repeating it anytime soon due to the lack of value for money (i.e. it was fucking shite and I really do grudge having paid out that wedge for the return I got) Players are paid too much so no I won't be signing up for any additional outlay, in fact I will likely be looking at reducing the amount I currently pay towards the upkeep of our squad until such times as clubs start using the TV money the way it should have been used from the start, i.e. to keep my (and every other supporter in this country) outlay in check.

I'd also struggle to accept paying £10 by DDebit so some twenty-something can maintain his Audi TT payments.

Best point!

Noone can guarantee that our money would go to players wages.

The core Motherwell fans pay in enough already

Season Tickets.

Shite pies and watered down cola

Paying your trust membership(if your a member)

Paying at the club shop for tops and other merch.

I personally feel i pay enough into my club and it's upto them what they do with it. Maybe the majority is going to ol Derek Weir, remember him? the guy who said he had a plan to keep Motherwell financially sound for the next 100 years?

Wonder when this plan is starting :P

I don't think this will fly - In fact Matt has dodded it right on the heid to be fair.

I'd add though that in terms of outlay as I've posted elsewhere - mine's looks like it will be dropping off too.

I've got a wee system going whereby I put money aside to ensure I can afford the ST when it comes round - first time I've been in that position in my life - for long spells I just didn't have that kind of dosh at that particular time.

I seriously think it could be going on musical equipment or something this year.

One of the fundamental problems with the OPs idea though is that you will have all sorts of tantrums among those contributing to a transfer fund - if it's not perceived to have been used wisely by sections of the contributors.

This season especially the football on offer in the SPL is a disgrace that sometimes i wish i didn't buy my season ticket.

The football is rubbish full stop. The sooner the old scum leave this league i will be happy

The sooner we get an equal share of tv revenue we'll all be happy

As soon as teams stop buying/bringing through pish players like Garry Kenneth who have no skill,their just bullies the better.

The banner in the Deportivo game the other week made me laugh but it shows how much of a laughing stock we are.

So there will be no more investing until the spl gives us something worthwhile for us to invest in

i'm away to watch Albion Rovers now

Whats the story with the Deportivo banner?

Kenneth is the worst. Big filthy brute of a boy that is unable to play, at all. But gets a game and looks good by battering folk. Last night was dreadful generally and no questioning we were poor, but Kenneth fouling Sutton just about every time he went for the ball was beyond a joke.

Whats the story with the Deportivo banner?

Kenneth is the worst. Big filthy brute of a boy that is unable to play, at all. But gets a game and looks good by battering folk. Last night was dreadful generally and no questioning we were poor, but Kenneth fouling Sutton just about every time he went for the ball was beyond a joke.

Im sure it was Deportivo they had a banner up that said

"We dont want another Scottish League"

Basically because real madrid and barcelona earn more money through tv revenue than the other teams now. Laughing stock of europe!

Kenneth to me is a disgrace to football, i know guys i play 5's with who are miles better than him, i cant see any talent in the guy apart from being a thug

Aye basically anyone that already has the funds to go on a regular basis is paying more than enough all in.

I supported Motherwell for about a quarter century now and I'm happier when we win than lose, but end of the day fuck paying even more just so what are on average a bunch of bangers can play fitba for a living and no even need to be very good at it and make several times what most people earn for what is essentially a hobby they getting paid for.

If there is money floating around in fitba I don't begrudge players getting their fair share, but I don't think it should be for supporters to be constantly bled dry.

By all means if it means that much to you go ahead, but the budget for one more player maybe is unlikely to make the difference between some sort of tangible success and what we have now. You are just far more likely to be getting even less value for money and more likely to be seen as a mug that clubs think will keep coughing up for medicority based on blind loyalty.

The TV thing is beginning to bug me more and more as well.

Sky and ESPN call the shots.

The paying punter / game attender is being stretched further and further.

Why?

So armchair experts can sit and watch all sorts of fitba for a couple of quid a week, pollute offices with their inane punter drivel, and perpetuate the dire shite that is football phone ins.

I personally feel i pay enough into my club and it's upto them what they do with it. Maybe the majority is going to ol Derek Weir, remember him? the guy who said he had a plan to keep Motherwell financially sound for the next 100 years?

Wonder when this plan is starting :lol:

We're financially sound now, and have been for a few years. Being financially sound doesn't mean having piles of dosh to spend on new players, it just means we're not going out of business anytime soon.

Agree that existing fans already give enough money to the club, though, and that there are ways to give more if they want to, at least for those who live locally. Might be interesting to think about what channels could be opened up to those of us abroad, though -- we can't do much other than buy stuff from the club shop, and the club presumably only sees a percentage of that.

Our squad has been diminishing and eroding certainly since McGhee's first season. That season JB put his hand in his own pocket (as we had just suffered the 'Malpas era') and if he hadn't we could have easily dropped down. McCormack was better than O'Brien who is better than Humphrey.

When JB helped out with Hughes, Porter, etc. it actually worked. We got 3rd and with that backbone (youth, transfer fees, etc.) in place we were allowed to momentarily keep some of what we had and got to Europe three years on the bounce.

Maybe this is our Malpas year again. in saying that I think we have achieved a good wee bit this year in the Cups and the potential is there in the Scottish. If we can't push on a wee bit now then things are very bleak.......as I don't see JB putting his hand in his pocket for the squad alone to that extent again.

In a similar vein I don't expect JB to keep putting his hand in his pocket, I certainly didn't welcome the news that he was helping to pay Porters wages. We need to be self sufficient to protect our future. Once we achieve that we can look at ways of ending our over reliance on TV income and finally reach my utopia of a debt free club operating within it's means from turnover alone and investing the TV cash in other areas. Dreams eh? Still got to have 'em.