Scottish Fitba Is On Its Knees

john_M_F_C

Up to around 95 and the introduction of the Bosman Rule for me....when most players were on low pay(compared with todays values) but good bonus schemes to encourage better results.

Also at a time when football was reasonably cheap, standing was an option and the majority of games were played on Saturdays at 3pm

Up to around 95 and the introduction of the Bosman Rule for me....when most players were on low pay(compared with todays values) but good bonus schemes to encourage better results.

Also at a time when football was reasonably cheap, standing was an option and the majority of games were played on Saturdays at 3pm

The football might not have always been better but those factors there made it a lot more bearable,the atmosphere back then was worth the entrance money alone.

TV has surely been the biggest killer of all with the aforementioned two not too far behind.

Yep, TV and the media are to blame.

20 years ago, a live match was something special and the amount of media coverage given to sport in general and football in particular was minuscule.

The allure and magic of a football match as a social event has been completely lost through over familiarization.

I remember back in the Tommy McLean days it was quite common to only know we'd signed a player when he ran out the tunnel and you said to yourself "Who's that? Have we signed Tommy Coyne/Billy Davies etc."

Now everything is ploughed over weeks in advance of anything actually happening, and for weeks after wards until the whole thing becomes a bore.

Bosman and the Taylor Report to blame then ?

Add in unfair distribution of TV monies- even though I consider TV a poisoned chalice. Another factor is the belief among those who matter that foreign is somehow better. Bollock. Young guys at Motherwell ought to be given a chance ahead of guys like Joni Lehtonen, Abel Thermus, Hervé Bacqué, and Esteban Casagolda. Loan deals are strangling the long-term future of our clubs too despite some obvious short term benefits from all-to-rare gems like Jutkiewicz

Just got back from Germany went to the Fortuna Dusseldorf game and the Schalke/Hamburg.Stood on the terracing for both games,great atmosphere.Fortuna Dusseldorf 11 euros to get in and Schalke was only 15 euros.

Can drink beer throughout the game in home and away sections

Free transport in the area if you have a match ticket

And to top it all off a guy i was talking to in the Hamburg end paid 170 euro for his season ticket.

Now why is Football brilliant there and all about the fans,and in Scotland its just terrible?Cant drink on trains,or in ground,cant stand up,no cheap tickets,no tavel discount.

Take a look at the Germans

For me, its a combination.

1) TV

2) Old firm greed

3) The fact that people dont stop going on about it.

Every time the radio is on before or after the game all you hear is overused cliches such as "The state of the scottish game...", "sums up the financial position of scottish clubs", "not value for money" etc etc.

Surely this negativity is putting people off going? Think about it with any other product/service e.g. a restaurant - if a handful of people tell you its shite then you steer clear.

.............Take a look at the Germans

Understand what you are saying, but these are densely populated areas of a multi-World Cup winning/hosting country. Scotland is a tiny backwater by comparison.

Perhaps its time the non Mauld-Firm Clubs took a stance, and stood up to them for a fare share of the revenues. Lets face it, what can Rangers/Celtic do about it if we do ?

Perhaps its time the non Mauld-Firm Clubs took a stance, and stood up to them for a fare share of the revenues. Lets face it, what can Rangers/Celtic do about it if we do ?

Sound of hammer hitting nail.....

Here's what they need to be told: "Without the rest of us, there is NO league. No league=no way into Europe. It's our way or the highway. Your move". Simple as that.

Just got back from Germany went to the Fortuna Dusseldorf game and the Schalke/Hamburg.Stood on the terracing for both games,great atmosphere.Fortuna Dusseldorf 11 euros to get in and Schalke was only 15 euros.

Can drink beer throughout the game in home and away sections

Free transport in the area if you have a match ticket

And to top it all off a guy i was talking to in the Hamburg end paid 170 euro for his season ticket.

Now why is Football brilliant there and all about the fans,and in Scotland its just terrible?Cant drink on trains,or in ground,cant stand up,no cheap tickets,no tavel discount.

Take a look at the Germans

There are enough arseholes going to games sober without giving them drink as well. In europe they can handle the drink sensibly, in scotland its a nightmare.

I am old enough to remember going to games and seeing people bringing in large carryouts, so by the end of the game they were all pished, and you were standing on Crappy terraces, knee deep in pish. Do you really want to go back to that, i don't

There are enough arseholes going to games sober without giving them drink as well. In europe they can handle the drink sensibly, in scotland its a nightmare.

I am old enough to remember going to games and seeing people bringing in large carryouts, so by the end of the game they were all pished, and you were standing on Crappy terraces, knee deep in pish. Do you really want to go back to that, i don't

Your paying £20+ to get in to several shite hole stands at Fir Park that are knee deep in pish just now.

Your paying £20+ to get in to several shite hole stands at Fir Park that are knee deep in pish just now.

Season ticket holder in the POD, its not the best stand in the world but my feet are dry :whistling: i think the only bad stand at FP is the east, which is basically a terracing with seats.