If You Were John Boyle...

David

58 members have voted

1. 1. What would you have done?

• Appointed Stuart McCall
    • Went with an interim manager until the end of the season
    • Try to appoint someone else on a full-time basis right away

.....or we could look at his track record and see how he moulded a team with infinitely more resources.

Who? Bradford? You're 'avin a laugh. You'd be rather shocked how on par our finances are with Bradford's. A club that, when McCall took over had a more depleted squad than we do now

Of course then there is the fact managers cannot get better after their first job! Lets forget that Davies, McLiesh, Lambert, Butcher to name a few have made a decent career out of management despite being rather woeful in their first job!

The fact he's seems to be able to see what is going on on the park and do something about it (seeing Zemamma having too much room and brining Page on to end that) makes me think McCall knows what he's doing and I'm happy as I have said (I think in Ins & Outs) to see what he does in the summer before commenting on his contacts and ability to improve the squad as we're never going to work on this transfer window.

If I was John Boyle... I'd have walked away a long time ago though :lol:

Obviously it's a difficult question to answer given none of us have seen McCall's application and been at the interview.

However, based on what we know - yes, I would have given the job to McCall, and it remains to be seen whether that was an incorrect decision.

I wouldn't have went with an interim manager. Let's be honest, with neither Gannon or Brown having contracts, we've basically been doing that for about 18 months. A stable, full-time, contracted gaffer was urgently needed IMO, and I'm delighted we've got that.

As for trying to appoint someone else, who exactly is on this fantastic list of "other people" available to be appointed? The guys who actually generated a flicker of interest like Sbragia didn't want it because of transfer budgets (if the press are to believed) and the other names in the hat were guys like Chris Sutton and John Hartson. Or, for the sake of argument, are we living in the fantasy land that some folk on here seem to be permanent residents of? In which case, I'll plump for Davie Moyes.

Seriously though, I have no doubts that Stuart McCall was the best candidate from what was available as Boyle has shown he has the ability to pick the best candidates and has the club's best interests at heart. so it would be merely a question of McCall or an interim manager. As I've said, I reckon the benefits of having a contracted manager in place massively outweigh any wee worries or fears folk have about having Stuart McCall in charge and, therefore, I don't have any doubts that I'd have done the same thing if I was Boyle.

It's like the old joke, isn't it.

"My mother in law wanted the wife to marry somebody else"

"Who"

"Nobody in particular, just somebody else"

Seriously, I dont know how you can possibly be so sure he was the best candidate from those available because if he was we must have had the poorest applications in the history of football.

As for the comment about having a "contracted manager in place MASSIVELY outweighing any fears" about having him in charge.

Are you joking?

Suupose all those fears come to fruition and we slide down the league ending up relegated or only narrowly avoiding it with McCall having lost his nerve and the dressing room, then we're stuck with him or a massive pay off aren't we?

If anything it makes it fucking worse.

I'm all for a contracted manager, but not if it's someone who's been out of work for almost a year and wasn't much good in his last post either.

Well at least you're content that we've got a stable full time contracted gaffer, even although he's shit. You're very easily pleased.

Seriously, I dont know how you can possibly be so sure he was the best candidate from those available because if he was we must have had the poorest applications in the history of football.

As for the comment about having a "contracted manager in place MASSIVELY outweighing any fears" about having him in charge.

Are you joking?

Suupose all those fears come to fruition and we slide down the league ending up relegated or only narrowly avoiding it with McCall having lost his nerve and the dressing room, then we're stuck with him or a massive pay off aren't we?

you forgot to mention that fir park could burn down after leeann forgot to post the insurance form.

I can't be so sure. That's why I quite clearly stated that it's a difficult question, none of us have seen the application, none of us witnessed the interview, and the "better" candidates all seemed to turn up their noses at the lack of finance (based on what we've all heard and read). :rolleyes:

Are you joking?

No, I'm not joking. We're a very young team and it'll do the players good to have a bit of stability. When you compare that to the fears of football fans who, collectively, are stupid - then I can completely understand why Boyle has plumped for a full-time contracted manager.

If anything it makes it fucking worse.

Good. I'd enjoy a couple of seasons in the First Division to get away from the absolute shite that is the SPL.

And anyway, what if all those fears don't come to fruition and after the summer we're back up challenging for top six football? We're Motherwell, it doesn't matter who we appoint - there are always going to be fears and worries and concerns. We're not a big enough club to appoint managers without a risk factor.

I'm all for a contracted manager, but not if it's someone who's been out of work for almost a year and wasn't much good in his last post either.

I really fail to see how him being out of work for almost a year is relevant. A few years, I'd agree, but we're talking in months here. Football management is a difficult area to get into with so many applicants for every job to come up. Sorry if I'm not devastated that we've appointed a gaffer who hasn't worked for less than a year.

Well at least you're content that we've got a stable full time contracted gaffer, even although he's shit. You're very easily pleased.

I'm not actually very easily pleased. I'm just not a complete panic-merchant who's hitting the emergency button a few weeks after McCall's been appointed.

None of us are John Boyle, so we know not how he handled it and therefore not in a position to offer criticism imho.

What we should consider, before sticking the boot in though, are the parameters/constraints the Club had to shoulder during their search:

We could not afford compensation so the candidate had to be unattached, (that would narrow it down a bit),

We are not Real Madrid, (that would narrow it down a bit more),

We operate under a very limited budget, (that would narrow it down even more),

We operate in the pointless shytehole that is the SPL, (at this point is anyone still interested).

Quite frankly I'm surprise we were able to attract someone at all.

StMc may be the right man, he may be the wrong man but FFS lets give hime a chance. He's just in the phuken door :rolleyes:

The Lip69 is entitled to his opinion as is everyone else. It is just like most on here I do not agree with it. In time he may be proved right but to call McCall a clown or sh1t is a tad harsh at this early juncture. I can only assume he bullied you at school or something to come away with such vitriol.

Who knows whether he was 1st choice or 3rd choice - bottom line is he is our Manager and quite frankly Sbragia and MacDonald hardly filled me with joy and enthusiasm if they did indeed turn down the job. At least McCall took the job onboard knowing evreything that the two aforementioned candidates knew.

If you are in work Lip69 I wonder if everyone was calling you sh1te after a month or so - maybe they were....

Based on interview he was the best candidate.

McCall was willing to accept the constraints of our club and for that, good luck to him!

He has inherited a very thin squad with some talented individuals, but look at the experienced players we have. They are only a few, Craigan, Lasley, Jennings, Hammel and Sutton.

Give it some time before we call for his head. We are beginning to sound like Celtic fans calling for Lennon's head after the first OF game of the season!

I cant believe this is even a topic.

he's not even been here for 2 months and were already asking if he's right.

Give the guy some time to get into the job, look how many players he lost right away and he's had to replace them. take training and matches and not have an assistant.

Plus he drove down to leeds to get grella then drove him all the way up here thats some shift he's putting in!

and his wee e-mails are nice :O

I cant believe this is even a topic.

he's not even been here for 2 months and were already asking if he's right.

The topic isn't asking if McCall is the right man for job though, is it? There's no poll option asking if McCall is the right man for the job. We don't know that because he's not been here long.

It's asking how you would have dealt with the situation that Archie & Craig left us in.

The topic isn't asking if McCall is the right man for job though, is it? There's no poll option asking if McCall is the right man for the job. We don't know that because he's not been here long.

It's asking how you would have dealt with the situation that Archie & Craig left us in.

I would have done what JB did, there was noone better, but plenty of worse people who could have took the job

Sorry Dave, for me this thread is a little divisive. Granted you don't ask directly if he's the right man for the job, but you have to accept the options you pose in the poll lead many to that debate, highlighted by how much you've had to defend this thread so far.

If we were all made fully aware of what went on in the aftermath of pink and perky leaving, the calibre of candidates who applied with McCall and if they truly knew the financial constraints on the club at present then I can understand. However we're not and never will be unless Leeann or Boyle release their memoirs in 20 years time a la Alistair Campbell.

There are so many factors affecting things outside if they actually like the club. There are geographic considerations, family issues, knowing you have a core support of 3,500, getting shirt buttons from Sky as punishment for Setanta and the budgets that goes with that. Not to mention living so close to the cash cow that is English football, most ambitious managers would always have their eye on moving back down south (like Gannon).

I can't be so sure. That's why I quite clearly stated that it's a difficult question, none of us have seen the application, none of us witnessed the interview, and the "better" candidates all seemed to turn up their noses at the lack of finance (based on what we've all heard and read). :D

No, I'm not joking. We're a very young team and it'll do the players good to have a bit of stability. When you compare that to the fears of football fans who, collectively, are stupid - then I can completely understand why Boyle has plumped for a full-time contracted manager.

Good. I'd enjoy a couple of seasons in the First Division to get away from the absolute shite that is the SPL.

And anyway, what if all those fears don't come to fruition and after the summer we're back up challenging for top six football? We're Motherwell, it doesn't matter who we appoint - there are always going to be fears and worries and concerns. We're not a big enough club to appoint managers without a risk factor.

I really fail to see how him being out of work for almost a year is relevant. A few years, I'd agree, but we're talking in months here. Football management is a difficult area to get into with so many applicants for every job to come up. Sorry if I'm not devastated that we've appointed a gaffer who hasn't worked for less than a year.

I'm not actually very easily pleased. I'm just not a complete panic-merchant who's hitting the emergency button a few weeks after McCall's been appointed.

This is what you actually said;

Seriously though, I have no doubts that Stuart McCall was the best candidate from what was available.

You say you cant be so sure yet in your first post you "have no doubts" it's a bit difficult to debate a point if you keep changing your opinion post by post.

I'll be over the moon of those fears dont come to fruition, but with his track record that's hardly likely.

Just to set the record straight I didn't hit the emergency button a few weeks after he took the job, I hit it the day he got the job, and I've had my thumb pressing down on it ever since. The fact is for the first time I can remember, I reckon we've chosen a name rather than a manager. Stuart McCall got the job because of who he is, not what he's done.

If you are in work Lip69 I wonder if everyone was calling you sh1te after a month or so - maybe they were....

Maybe so, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my last two positions I was head hunted, my credentials and qualifications for my profession are beyond reproach. I'm now self employed but work in an advisory capacity for some of my ex-employers, so I couldn't have been that shite eh?

Maybe so, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in my last two positions I was head hunted, my credentials and qualifications for my profession are beyond reproach. I'm now self employed but work in an advisory capacity for some of my ex-employers, so I couldn't have been that shite eh?

Just a wee lesson for you.

Motherwell had over 30 applications for the vacant (at the time) manager's post. Some were managers and assistants of other clubs. That meant we had to pay compensation to get them. We discounted them right away for obvious reasons! At the first interview stage Chris Sutton, Ricky Sbragia, Stuart McCall and the Blackburn boy (forgot his name :blush: ) were spoken too.

The board quickly discounted Sutton because he is pish! :thumbup:

They also quickly made the decision that McCall was the right man for the job because he showed a commitment that the other 2 did not. During the interviews the other 2 expressed doubts that Motherwell was the right move for them and refused to move their families up to Motherwell. Stuart McCall was the complete opposite.

Ans the rest they say is history my friends...... :cheers:

bp01.jpgemerald_green_met_balloon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Motherwell had over 30 applications for the vacant (at the time) manager's post. Some were managers and assistants of other clubs. That meant we had to pay compensation to get them. We discounted them right away for obvious reasons! At the first interview stage Chris Sutton, Ricky Sbragia, Stuart McCall and the Blackburn boy (forgot his name :ph34r: ) were spoken too.

The board quickly discounted Sutton because he is pish! <_>

There'll be a fair chunk of the membership of this board who will be saying the same about McCall tonight :lol: