Welcome to Steelmen Online
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox

thirdwell : (23 October 2017 - 03:48 AM)

I have spent the last hour reading some of the Rangers fans comments on the game. Each one of them said that the ref was a disgrace, that at least 3 Motherwell players should have been sent off and dozens of them claim to have heard the disgusting incident regarding Bowman breaking the nose!  In all my (almost) 50 years a 'Well fan I feel truly ashamed that the one and only great club in Scottish football is being victimised by the authorities (Rangers fans words not mine). I therefore urge that Motherwell, in fact all teams, that play Glasgow Rangers FC in future: do not tackle, do not jump for the ball, do not shot towards the Rangers goalmouth. If one of the opposition feels that a Ranger's player is a little tired or fatigued he should immediately notify the nearest official to have the game stopped so that said player may have a wee seat and a cuppa tea/coffee and a biscuit or two. This relaxation period is only relevant to players of RFC. If any other STEELMEN can think of any way that can improve Ranger chances of winning please feel free to add to the above list.   

Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 11:18 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): @kennyward__10 All fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience. Copyright claim due to T&S at the wild celebrations at f… https://t.co/GanL6tVVoB
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 11:00 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): HIGHLIGHTS | Rangers 0 - 2 Motherwell https://t.co/ezpR2zb9ln https://t.co/LDlFCecDeQ
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 10:08 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @SheaGordon11: Unbelievable result! Some buzz!!! @MotherwellFC 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 10:08 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @rossmaclean39: Yassssss!!! Come on the boys 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 10:07 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @louismoult: Some feeling that, thank you for your support 👏⚽️!! https://t.co/ZnWK3Mx7Ed
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 10:07 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @trevorcarson24: Our fans were incredible today. Thank you. What a team to be involved with. Roll on Wednesday!! https://t.co/gw7MTtm5al
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 07:07 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): THANK YOU | Your support today was absolutely magnificent. Everyone at the club appreciates it. See you at Hampden… https://t.co/MRkN38Stmp
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 07:04 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @allancampbell98: What a day! Fans were class🤙🏻🤙🏻 https://t.co/Wf01eFfiwr
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 06:44 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): GALLERY | Action images from this afternoon's game at Hampden https://t.co/qvQqJL8eEY https://t.co/UAKintTI47
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 06:42 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): REACTION | Stephen Robinson's thoughts after todays win over Rangers https://t.co/z8Y7mmYA6z https://t.co/X2dqlOsqme
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 06:39 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): REPORT | Motherwell secured their place in the @Betfred cup final with a 2-0 win over Rangers this afternoon… https://t.co/aHR5fWGvM6
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:59 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @eplummer_: Into the final!!What a win 100% deserved the boys were class. Fans made the atmosphere unbelievable! King Louis!! @louismoul
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @AlexFisher37: Some game to be involved in! Unreal shift from the chaps! @louismoult some boy you ⚽️⚽️. The fans were terrific throughou…
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @ryan_bowman12: What a feeling.. Support was unreal for the 90 minutes. Lads fully deserved it, final here we come. 👏🏽🔥⚽️
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @tait0289: Incredible from the boys massive effort today ⚽️💛 #MFC fans class as always 👌🏼
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @chrissycadds: Enjoyed that team, what a day 😝
Twitter : (22 October 2017 - 04:58 PM) Tweet(@MotherwellFC): RT @cecekipros: Ayyy we did it!! Boys were class so as the fans 💛👌🏾never underestimate the under dogs .
texanwellfan : (22 October 2017 - 03:51 PM)

glad to see us finally put them out of a cup

smiddy : (22 October 2017 - 03:45 PM)

no greetin but Sutton REALLY wants pedro pumped n mccoist has grudgingly conceded moult is better than there dumpling ,,,today hahaha

Photo

The Great Rebuild 2017

• Please log in to reply
3955 replies to this topic

fizoxy

fizoxy

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
This doesn't really fit in the other threads, but I'm interested in figuring out what kind of squad we could have come the end of the season, and what holes we will need to fill, and how we may approach that if we go down.

As far as I'm aware the following are all out of contract, not including the u20s:

Lasley, Kennedy, Moore, Ainsworth, Pearson, Faddy, Lucas, Samson, McDonald, sub goalie, Jules, chalmers - Would we bring any of these back?

1 more year - clay? Blyth? bowman, Moult, Hammel, McManus? Thomas - any extension possibilities?

Don't know - cadden, frear, heneghan, mchugh, tait

With the likelihood that our front two won't see next season at fir park, it looks like we will have bowman and someone. Will Mackin be an option?

In midfield we have mchugh and clay, with maybe cadden if he isn't sold, then add Campbell, hastie and Mclean from the u20s.

Defense looks worst though, with Hammel still under contract and as injury prone as he is now, we need a viable lb option.

My assumption is that if we go down we will push the u20s into the team, but maybe we should do that anyway?

superward

superward

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 3,019 posts

Its hard to know who should be let go/moved on/renewed etc. as the old "there must be someone out there better" isn't always true for a budget like ours. 

However, for me we really need to be looking at the below...my thoughts anyway...assuming we keep those contracted to 2018 or 2019.

Contract up this year:

Skippy - Renew if possible for 1 more year.

Ainsworth - Release. Does not feature enough or offer enough any more when he does.

Lasley - Release. Done.

Samson - Release. Shit.

Faddy - Release. Done

Chalmers - Release. Shit

Pearson - Unsure. Hasn't overly impressed

Kennedy - Release. Squad player not playing at all.

Lucas - Release. Injury prone.

Ferguson - Release. Not good enough in my opinion.

Griffiths - Goes back on loan

Jules - Goes back on loan

MacLean - Renew.

Contracted until 2018:

McManus - We need to be looking ahead to replacing McManus but I think he'll be starting next year. 

Heneghan 

McHugh 

Hammell - Can only be back up only.

Clay - Back up only in my eyes.

Thomas 

Moult 

Bowman 

Blyth 

Contracted until 2019:

Tait

McMillan

Cadden

Frear

Yassin

Yassin

European Footballer of the Year

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts
I'd keep Ainsworth. It's an entirely irrational heart over head decision and I'll happily admit that.
  • GazzyB, Wellarmy, AlmostFrazzled and 1 other like this

Lobey_Dosser

Lobey_Dosser

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 6,953 posts
Looking at all those out of contract, Skippy is the only one I'd be offering a deal but the likelihood is he'll be away. Of those contracted beyond the summer, I think we'll be looking to cut our ties with Hammell and Blyth if possible.

In terms of young players stepping up, MacLean, Campbell at Hastie look to be carrying the greatest promise. Mackin was mentioned above, he'll be the out the door.

So plenty of scope for a rebuild. Ideally we'd be looking at pre-contracts just now but that's unlikely given our precarious position and we may well lose ground on some of our competitors. Huge job for the manager regardless of what league we are in.

fizoxy

fizoxy

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 1,447 posts
Is there a way to have frear and Thomas in the team? Or is Thomas on the outs too?

Big Wispy Flossy

Big Wispy Flossy

• Legends
  • 1,045 posts

Its hard to know who should be let go/moved on/renewed etc. as the old "there must be someone out there better" isn't always true for a budget like ours. 

However, for me we really need to be looking at the below...my thoughts anyway...assuming we keep those contracted to 2018 or 2019.

Contract up this year:
Skippy - Renew if possible for 1 more year.
Ainsworth - Release. Does not feature enough or offer enough any more when he does.
Lasley - Release. Done.
Samson - Release. Shit.
Faddy - Release. Done
Chalmers - Release. Shit
Pearson - Unsure. Hasn't overly impressed
Kennedy - Release. Squad player not playing at all.
Lucas - Release. Injury prone.
Ferguson - Release. Not good enough in my opinion.
Griffiths - Goes back on loan
Jules - Goes back on loan
MacLean - Renew.

Contracted until 2018:
McManus - We need to be looking ahead to replacing McManus but I think he'll be starting next year. 
Heneghan 
McHugh 
Hammell - Can only be back up only.
Clay - Back up only in my eyes.
Thomas 
Moult 
Bowman 
Blyth 

Contracted until 2019:
Tait
McMillan
Cadden
Frear

I would only renew McDonald and Maclean
She wore she wore a claret & amber ribbon, a claret and amber ribbon........

weeyin

weeyin

Motherwell Legend

• SO Well Society Members
  • 13,160 posts

I expect Skippy to be off at the end of this season.

Haggischomper

Haggischomper

Fud

• Legends
  • 8,313 posts
Skippy has been trying to leave the past couple windows, has he not?
  • Folkie likes this

The African

The African

International

• Legends
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
You would also have to expect that we will accept any half decent offer for Moult, as this would seem to be the optimum time to cash in on him.

superward

superward

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 3,019 posts

You would also have to expect that we will accept any half decent offer for Moult, as this would seem to be the optimum time to cash in on him.

I think Skippy will be gone.

Moult, yeah - but will that bid be forthcoming? 3 goals since the start of the year has taken the shine of a decent first half to the season with 11 goals and the goals against Celtic and Rangers.

I'd wager that unless he bangs in a few important goals in the run in to get nearer 20 then that bid might not materialise to a level for us to want to sell him.

weeyin

weeyin

Motherwell Legend

• 13,160 posts

Skippy has been trying to leave the past couple windows, has he not?

I don't know how actively he's been trying to leave but he's certainly been listening offers and I'd be amazed if he didn't take one this summer.

milo

milo

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 3,921 posts

I think Skippy will be gone.

Moult, yeah - but will that bid be forthcoming? 3 goals since the start of the year has taken the shine of a decent first half to the season with 11 goals and the goals against Celtic and Rangers.

I'd wager that unless he bangs in a few important goals in the run in to get nearer 20 then that bid might not materialise to a level for us to want to sell him.

Good point.
"In his book, "Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower," William Blum warns of how the media will make anything that smacks of "conspiracy theory" an immediate "object of ridicule." This prevents the media from ever having to investigate the many strange interconnections among the ruling class -- for example, the relationship between the boards of directors of media giants, and the energy, banking and defense industries. These unmentionable topics are usually treated with what Blum calls "the media's most effective tool -- silence." But in case somebody's asking questions, all you have to do is say, "conspiracy theory," and any allegation instantly becomes too frivolous to merit serious attention. On the other hand, since my paranoid shift, whenever I hear the words "conspiracy theory" (which seems more often, lately) it usually means someone is getting too close to the truth."

Mad Dog

Mad Dog

• 854 posts
  • Interests:Running, cycling, reading, metal....

Craig Moore is also out-of-contract this summer; not sure if he has done enough on loan to earn a new deal?

MelvinBragg

MelvinBragg

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 4,345 posts
I know it's not the way we do things but were we to stay up this season, I'd like to see us offer contracts to those players with a year left on their current deal that we might be able to build a team around. The likes of Heneghan, Moult and McHugh could be the spine of a decent team.

As others have said, it wouldn't be surprising if no one came in for Moult. Heneghan is another with room to improve but there are raw materials there. Offering these two guys contracts with a pay rise and an understanding that we wouldn't stand in their way should a certain bid be made or a club of a certain standing come in for them might be a way to go.

McHugh, I'd be offering the captaincy. While I don't have a great deal of sympathy for McGhee, his performances since his return make me wonder if our season might have turned out differently had he not been out for so long. Pretty much every game I've seen him play for us, he's been one of our two or three best players.

Other than that (assuming McDonald leaves), Frear, Tait, Cadden and the U20s that show the most promise would be the others I'd be looking to. The much maligned Clay would be a decent backup to have on the bench but Campbell and now Shea Gordon seem to be making an impression in the U20s midfield. If they're good enough they're old enough.

For me, looking for a fair few players this summer. Goalkeeper, left back, centre back and striker being the priorities...

Well 4 Europe

Well 4 Europe

• Legends
  • 973 posts

I would only renew McDonald and Maclean

Maclean signed a new deal recently, he's tied up to 2019 along with Campbell, McMillan, Turnbull and Hastie.

For once the club has actually been proactive and signed up its most promising youngsters on long term deals.
  • superward and Wishielad like this

Kmcalpin

Kmcalpin

Motherwell Legend

• 4,857 posts

I know it's not the way we do things but were we to stay up this season, I'd like to see us offer contracts to those players with a year left on their current deal that we might be able to build a team around. The likes of Heneghan, Moult and McHugh could be the spine of a decent team.

As others have said, it wouldn't be surprising if no one came in for Moult. Heneghan is another with room to improve but there are raw materials there. Offering these two guys contracts with a pay rise and an understanding that we wouldn't stand in their way should a certain bid be made or a club of a certain standing come in for them might be a way to go.

McHugh, I'd be offering the captaincy. While I don't have a great deal of sympathy for McGhee, his performances since his return make me wonder if our season might have turned out differently had he not been out for so long. Pretty much every game I've seen him play for us, he's been one of our two or three best players.

Other than that (assuming McDonald leaves), Frear, Tait, Cadden and the U20s that show the most promise would be the others I'd be looking to. The much maligned Clay would be a decent backup to have on the bench but Campbell and now Shea Gordon seem to be making an impression in the U20s midfield. If they're good enough they're old enough.

For me, looking for a fair few players this summer. Goalkeeper, left back, centre back and striker being the priorities...

I go along with that Greg, although I wouldn't be concerned if Tait moved on.  He's ok but not a great defender and I'd like to see us build from the back for once.  We have to sort out our defensive game. 

Part of the problem is an unrealistic level of expectation. We see football from all parts of Europe on television daily and fans are expecting....the technical ability and flair they see from Spain's La Liga and the top end of the English Premiership. Thats just not possible. It seems fashion is over-riding common sense.

Heisenboab

Heisenboab

Signed on Full Time

• Legends
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Priority should be getting a contract extention for McHugh.

Would like to see Moore given a crack at the first team alongsode Bowman if Skippy and Moult go, but think he will only get offered a deal if we go down.

See that Neil Alexander is leaving Aberdeen at the end of the season. Surely a better option than Samson? We're we not quite close to signing him before or did I just make that up?

Shaka

Shaka

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 1,869 posts
We need 2 Keepers,a left back,a centre half,couple centre midfielders,left winger and a couple of strikers and thats ONLY if we keep Cadden & Moult , who I believe will both leave! Quite the rebuild!!

(Potential 2017-18 Squad)
Gk.
Gk.
Rb. Richard Tait
Rb. Luke Watt
Lb.
Lb. Jack McMillan
Cd.
Cd. Stephen McManus
Cd. Ben Heneghan
Cd. Barry Maguire
Rm. Chris Cadden
Rm. Ross McLean
Lm.
Lm. Elliot Frear
Dm. Carl McHugh
Dm. Allan Campbell
Cm.
Cm.
St. Louis Moult
St. Ryan Bowman
St.
St.
  • Ianc likes this

superward

superward

Motherwell Legend

• Legends
  • 3,019 posts

Priority should be getting a contract extention for McHugh.

Would like to see Moore given a crack at the first team alongsode Bowman if Skippy and Moult go, but think he will only get offered a deal if we go down.

See that Neil Alexander is leaving Aberdeen at the end of the season. Surely a better option than Samson? We're we not quite close to signing him before or did I just make that up?

He's 39. Not for me.

Kmcalpin

Kmcalpin

Motherwell Legend

• 4,857 posts

We need 2 Keepers,a left back,a centre half,couple centre midfielders,left winger and a couple of strikers and thats ONLY if we keep Cadden & Moult , who I believe will both leave! Quite the rebuild!!

(Potential 2017-18 Squad)
Lb. Jack McMillan

Jack MacMillan is a right back.  Apart from that decent assessment.

Part of the problem is an unrealistic level of expectation. We see football from all parts of Europe on television daily and fans are expecting....the technical ability and flair they see from Spain's La Liga and the top end of the English Premiership. Thats just not possible. It seems fashion is over-riding common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users