2011/12 Ins & Outs Thread

LadywellToi

Does anyone actually know if we have offered him a contract or not.

I'm personally not overly bothered if he stays or goes. A completely fresh forward line might be a good thing. He definatley showed glimpses of his quality but unless we get a partner to do his work for him then he might be a luxury we cannot really afford.

The way things are going, No Sutton, Casagolda or Jeffers. A lot of work required up top this summer.

I hope he's effective for Hearts as he was in the Cup Final. Would of wished him well if he went to another league but disappointed to see him go to one of our rivals, can't blame him though if his wages have trebled.

I'd imagine he'll be hugely more effective for Hearts than he was in the cup final. After all....the Hearts players will be vaguely capable of giving him the ball.

So according to Sutton we made pretty much fuck all effort to keep him? Sounds just like us.

He was enjoying his time here, asked for a deal at the start of the season, at christmas and there was nothing concrete on the table, even the week before cup final :wallbash:

I certainly don't hold any grudges, as much as I don't think it's the best move he could've had. I appreciate the hard work and effort he's put in whilst here, as well as his professionalism both on and off the park.

Best of luck for the future Sutty, but I hope yer team gets pumped on a regular basis :cheers:

Not according to Stuart McCall who said that we had made him an offer prior to the semi-final in his post match interview at Tynecastle.

So, someone's lying.

Agree with the rest, cannot grudge him his move, it's just disappointing that he's moved to a rival team and had a swipe at the club on departing.

TBH - it is all bout the timing. And in this case it backfired and bit us on the backside.

Paw Broon leaving and McCall coming in had a lot to do with it. McCall would not have been in a position to offer a new contract without understanding what our budget would be or whether he even rated Sutton.

As it happens McCall played him up front and he started banging in the goals, after that he was in play. Sutton said he would have signed a contract earlier. Of course he would - he was not in demand before Xmas. In fact I always thought he could have done a lot more for us and had he left around Xmas I would not have lost any sleep.

In short if he was banging in goals all along - he WOULD have waited to see what was on the table before committing to Motherwell. So Motherwell are not entirely to blame at all. Just one of these things.

Like all of us I wish he had gone down south as he IS bound to score against us next year. That said better players than him have left the mighty Well - only to come unstuck. Seemed a decent chap and has trebled his wages - so understand what he has done and why.

"Chrismfcno1 Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Just a thought, see with this new UEFA rule about club debt etc, I think it's where wages cannot exceed club turnover. Where exactly would Hearts fit in with all this. Is there wages not at around 126% compared to their turnover so would that not mean that in the following years Hearts would in fact be banned from European football? Again just a thought not sure when this is being implemented etc. All the best Sutts decent servant had worse had better let's move on! "

This is a very valid point and it is one that will catch up with Hearts sooner than they think.

As for Sutton going, this is just proof, if proof were needed, that all football players, whether the fans like it or not, are simply prostitutes who are prepared to hire themselves out to whichever club is prepared to pay them the highest wages. Fans of all clubs would do well to remember this. Hearts too in the past have suffered from the same thing when bigger clubs came calling to take their players away - remember Craig Gordon, Christophe Berra to name but two recently. What goes around comes around.

People have posted that it will be hard to replace a 17-goals in a season striker but I don't think so - Sutton like previous 'Well strikers needed others in the team to make the chances for him to convert, so at least the team are making chances. We managed to replace Skippy, Clarkson, Porter, Jutkiewitz and Blackman so I am sure there will be others out there can be brought in and do a similar job.

On another point, and at the risk of upsetting the Stephen Craigan fan club, I cannot for the life of me understand why we have offered him another year's contract. He's now become a liability and a bombscare we just don't need. Its time we got somebody younger and fitter to partner young Hutchison. We had a defensive record that would have graced the bottom 3 places in the SPL this season and we must become harder to score against and we won't do that with Craigan in the side.

Like all of us I wish he had gone down south as he IS bound to score against us next year.

It doesn't matter who Hearts have playing up front - over the course of 3 or 4 games it's pretty likely their strikers will score against us. Whether it's Sutton or anyone else is irrelevant. I never quite understood why people are so worried about ex-players scoring. Plus, if Craigan is still playing for us he will finally be able to match a striker for speed :cheers:

Heard B;ackburn boss Steve Kean on the radio the other night and he was talking about the Duiff... any way he went on to talk about the Blackburn players who had been up here on loan last season and mentioned Blackman, Dorran, and others.

He said that next week he would be speaking to the players and the clubs they had been at and if they wanted to return on loan he would be open to that!

So maybe Gunning comes back on loan?

From today's Evening Times. Looks like McCall trying to keep Craigan too.

Motherwell boss Stuart McCall plans urgent contract talks with Stephen Craigan and Steve Jennings so he can press ahead with plans for next season.

The Well boss has already seen top scorer John Sutton move to Hearts while midfield pivot Jennings is a target for Aberdeen and Gavin Gunning has returned to Blackburn after completing his loan stint.

But although St Mirren are believed to be in the hunt for out-of- contract skipper Craigan, McCall remains hopeful that he can persuade his skipper to sign a new deal.

Not according to Stuart McCall who said that we had made him an offer prior to the semi-final in his post match interview at Tynecastle.

Indeed. Quote from the offical site, on April 23rd:

“We have offered him the best deal we can offer him,” the 46-year old confirmed. “Regardless if he goes on to score a hat-trick in the Cup Final or whatever. We’d love him to stay; the grass isn’t always greener.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2011/04/23/mccall-delighted-with-steel-grit/

Dont think thats a bad thing, Sutton wont stop the show at Motherwell, someone with pace up front would be perfect, get Omar in from Bradford on the Left and punt Murphy up front where he is best.....

Just an interesting observation nobody has picked up on so far. Hearts will be John Sutton's 9th senior club and he's only about 28. In Scotland he'll have been with ourselves, Dundee, Raith Rovers, Hearts and St Mirren. Was he ever going to stay?

I'm still unconvinced by Gunning. He's got talent, is fast and runs all day, but he's been caught out a few times. On the left or in central midfield maybe, but I'd keep him away from centre half and left back.

Personally, for me Gunning isn't a first team player, more someone than can fill in in a number of positions.

Therefore I wouldn't pay a fee for him. If we are going to spend money I'd rather we did it in a key position and right now that looks like up front or a more natural attacking wide player.

Would take Gunning back in a heartbeat. Easily has the ability to solve our left midfield area, pushing Murph up top partnering jeffers if he stays

where do you get the notion that Gunning is a left midfielder?

He's played Centre Half and Left Back all year, now suddenly he's our answer to our left midfield problem?

Although I'm as disappointed as the next guy to lose Sutton, resigning Jennings & Gunning would set us up nicely.

If we retain the majority of the squad we had at the end of the cup final, and manage to add a few more players (especially up front) I'll be a happy camper.

I went into the close season under the impression we would lose Sutton, Jennings, Humphrey, Gunning & possibly Murphy. We may still lose a few of them, but with news that McCall is looking to tie down Jennings & Craigan I'm optimistic.

Retaining Jennings would be a major coup I reckon.

where do you get the notion that Gunning is a left midfielder?

He's played Centre Half and Left Back all year, now suddenly he's our answer to our left midfield problem?

I'm presuming he means we can then push Hammell into Left Mid? Not convinced by that... If he's staying, then surely left-sided centre back to pair with Hutchy would be ideal.

Glad to see the back of gypsy gunning, how many times does he get caught out? Fails too often to track back when beaten. Never mind the number of times he gets tackled then you think he is dying with his antics . Can handle someone kicling him, not really suited for the hustle & bustle of the spl.