Motherwell Vs Celtic

postiejim

There's no need for that. Keep it civil in future please.

Agreed, Stupid comment and insulting to a lot of folk on here.

Ref on Sunday is Charlie Richmond, did Clyde away this season.

There's no need for that. Keep it civil in future please.

Awk chill out. As you can see from my previous tongue in cheek post, I'm catholic and I hardly find it offensive!

As for the game I fear the worst. Arguably, their only on form player is their right winger, who we won't be able to match with a recognised left back.

• Like 1

Awk chill out. As you can see from my previous tongue in cheek post, I'm catholic and I hardly find it offensive!

Just because you don't find it offensive doesn't mean others won't. There's no place for it on a Motherwell forum. Leave that shite to the bigot brothers.

Back on topic, a point from this game would be considered a success for us, wouldn't it? I guess it's a sign of how far they've dropped when it's also being considered a good result by their fans as well! :laugh:

Sorry folks but we've been really lucky on our last 2 games. We aren't playing all that well and carrying 2 passengers in Higdon and Humphrey i can see a heavy 3 or 4 nil coming up. We've been really poor against the OF recently. I so much hope im wrong here but i fear a doing. <_>

By the same token - if we have been poor the last 2 games, then we are due a good performance.

Sadly like most on here I believe Celtic will be so up for the game, we will be on the back foot from the off. What we then need is a lot of focus and concentration and a large slice of - dare I say it luck.

If we can ride out the storm and get into the game then who knows.

I think we will do well to get a draw. I would be happy with that. Ecstatic with a win and not at all surprised with a defeat.

GET INTAE THEM :dwarf:

What I do not want to see is anyone giving Ki space anything up to 35 yards from our goal. Against other teams he hits row Z, against us he hits the top corner of the net every time :dash2:

Agreed. I don't want to see us give any Celtic player a free long range shot. We do this time and again against the OF. We withdraw into our box like a tortoise retreating into its shell. Inevitably a player like Ki or Edu runs at us, we back off, and they and unleash a great shot from the edge of the box that gives Randolph no chance and our fans say there was nothing we could have done about it as it was a great finish. We should show a bit of fight, stick our jaw out and go out to close them down and ensure if they do get a shot off that its a rushed, hurried effort.

I wish I'd a pound for every goal we've lost like that.

whats the latest with Hammell? their best player by far this season is James Forrest. DEWELL, i nearly agreee with your above post until you laid into Higdon. Poor! I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one!

IMO, Celtic NEED to win - the pressure is on them. Even more so, if Rangers win on the Saturday. I would love us to get something from this game, but i'm in MJC mood. I fear a backlash.

We haven't played well recently, but have ground out results - (obviously a sign of champions!!) Killie went at Celtic and scored, Hibs had a go and scored........why dont we have a go???

If the past is anything to go by, McCall will change the formation and that frustrates me! Just have a go - if we get beat, then so be it - its what most of us expect anyway.

For me, the worst thing about ICT game was McCall reshuffling the defence.......we immediately looked better when Hateley went to RB. I really hope Hammell is fit.....and he has to choose between Hutchy and Clancy, but please do not move Hateley into midfield to accomodate them both

Think Clancy will be at LB with Hately remaining at RB. In saying that nobody has asked if Jenno will be fit. Really need him for this game aswell.

When the OF need to win they usually do, when teams need a goal, a win, a clean sheet then playing against Motherwell generally means they will get it!

I'm not hopeful for a result this weekend but then again I wasn't hopeful away to United, Hibs or ICT. Our team is good enough to beat anyone on its day.

Unfortunately I can see a 1-0 Celtic win by a dodgy penalty decision.

This is the worst Celtic team in years.

This phrase has been trotted out about Rangers and Celtic every time we've played them for at least the past five years. Wonder if this'll be the season that it actually makes the slightest bit of difference...

Just hope we put in a decent show and stay in the game for as long as we can.

We seem to be developing a big game / TV phobia where the fans get right up for it and believe we have a genuine chance and then the bottle crashes!

The tighter we keep it the more their fans will get nervous and get on their back.

IMO - Jennings coming back is really key to our chances.

Sorry folks but we've been really lucky on our last 2 games. We aren't playing all that well and carrying 2 passengers in Higdon and Humphrey i can see a heavy 3 or 4 nil coming up. We've been really poor against the OF recently. I so much hope im wrong here but i fear a doing. dry.gif

Utter shite.

Win as a team and lose a team and these 2 guys have played their part in the team sitting second in the league.

As for Sunday, if we get in their faces and take the game to them then I think we can get something from the game. Stand off them and we could be in trouble.

An early goal either way could be crucial.

• Like 4

My personal view is that we should treat this like an away game ie play a counter-attacking style which suits us down to the ground. A team like Shellic make this plan easier to execute by being generally very attack-minded, so here's hoping! I'm not saying we should merely sit in defensively, far from it. I just feel that playing 4-5-1 with a view to creating quick breaks is our best chance of a positive result.

It's unlikely we'll be able to dominate possession, so as long as we remain solid at the back, industrious in midfield and lively going forward we'll have a fair chance of taking at least a point. We need every player up for the battle and prepared to fight to win their individual battles. Do that and I'm confident we'll remin in 2nd place come Sunday night.

Team-wise it all depends on whether Hammell and/or Jenno are fit. We'll stand a much better chance with those guys available and on form, but at least guys like Hateley and Clancy are adaptable if needs be.

Mon the Well!!

Going to be a tough game and a big test for McCall and the players , for me its a game we can take something from and I would settle for a point ,I could even put up with a defeat if we give a good account of ourselves. What I would find hard to take is another 4 or 5 goal mauling at the hands of the old firm ,that would show that were not really learning from previous encounters. I'm going to be positive though and say 3-2 for the Well.

My personal view is that we should treat this like an away game ie play a counter-attacking style which suits us down to the ground. A team like Shellic make this plan easier to execute by being generally very attack-minded, so here's hoping! I'm not saying we should merely sit in defensively, far from it. I just feel that playing 4-5-1 with a view to creating quick breaks is our best chance of a positive result.

peter - i agree with you here, but the problem is not how we play - its where we play!

the east stand boo boys take the shine off the team, whereas when we are away from home the vast majority of the fans are vocal in being supportive of the team - the same can not be said at Fir Park.

there weren't many of us in Inverness - but the ones who were there made some noise, supported the team and the players recognised this

so no doubt, someone will say "i pay my money, i can voice my opinion" - well, aye you can............but "positively supporting" our team makes a difference

Out of the OF, Celtic are the only team we can even get close too, its not impossible, they have not been winning for one reason they are playing utter shite, Yes Saturday we were not at our best but we came through to win.

What ever the team is doing its working.. whether individuals are players at thier best or not... leave the team alone and do what we have been doing and we are more than capable of winning the game.

Just amagine the feeling beating Celtic Sunday and going 7 points clear of them, and then Rangers going into administration and getting docked 20 points..... could be top of the SPL.... Heres to dreaming..... Come on Motherwell !

Probably not related to this thread in particular but just read a good article on the herald website.

Dark horses are making great strides in shadows

GRAEME MACPHERSON GRAEME.MACPHERSON@HERALDANDTIMES.CO.UK

MOTHERWELL could be forgiven for developing something of a complex. Stuart McCall's side tend to be forgotten whenever Rangers' lead at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League is brought up, as if they are an irrelevance in the title race.

"Rangers stretch their advantage over Celtic to 12 points," read the headlines after the weekend's results, conveniently ignoring the fact that it is Motherwell and not Neil Lennon's side who occupy second place.

McCall and his players probably prefer it this way, however. In the annual two-horse race that is Scottish football's top division, no great attention is ever paid to the also-rans, something that has allowed the Fir Park side to go about their business unburdened by the weight of expectation that affects either half of the Old Firm.

Thirteen games into the season and Motherwell have lost only three times in the league – the same number as Celtic – and are seven points better off than the next of the so-called smaller teams, St Johnstone.

Consistency of selection has been the key to their success. McCall recently sent the same starting XI out for six matches in a row and that stability is having a positive effect on performances and results.

There is undoubtedly a sense of the collective about this team, a shared willingness to muck in and get the job done. Even when they have not played well, as was the case against Inverness Caledonian Thistle on Saturday, they still found a way to prosper.

You can get 200/1 from some bookmakers that the season concludes with Motherwell as league champions and it remains a highly remote prospect. McCall has a small group of players from which to choose and once they start to pick up injuries and suspensions the team's consistency will likely waver.

Celtic and Hearts will also surely improve over the course of the season and, given their superior resources, would be expected to eventually overhaul Motherwell to contest the top three places with Rangers.

Motherwell, though, are not looking that far ahead. They are officially the second best team in Scotland right now and few could argue that status is unmerited. "I've been really impressed with them so far," said Craig Paterson, the former Motherwell defender now a football analyst with the BBC. "They did well in the close season as there was a worry they would lose a lot of players but only really John Sutton moved on and they replaced him with a similar figure in Michael Higdon. Continuity can work wonders for a team – if it ain't broken don't try to fix it. Stuart's been able to field the same team most weeks and they're in a great position."

The trials of a long season combined with the inevitable rotten Scottish winter, however, may place a lot of demands on the same players to keep going week after week, as Paterson acknowledged. "Unless you're really fortunate, then injuries and suspensions will soon kick in and then it's the depth of your squad that will be challenged. Can those who come in do as well as the guys they're replacing to keep the good run going? That's when the Old Firm tend to come in to their own as they often have two players of similar standard for every position."

With Rangers in danger of being docked points should they fall into administration, and Celtic struggling for form, however, Motherwell can continue to dare to dream. "They split the Old Firm under Alex McLeish in the 1990s and it's maybe a bit early to be thinking of doing it again. But Motherwell have given themselves a real chance with this great start that they've made."

http://www.heraldsco...dows-1.1132298?

• Like 4

I just feel that playing 4-5-1 with a view to creating quick breaks is our best chance of a positive result.

Totally agree with that. I know fuck all about tactics but in my shitey opinion I think we simply aren't going to pass through a tight packed celtic defence so the only option is to draw them out, stretch them with the threat of pacey wingers and hit them on the break.

That however it involves sitting deep for long periods against Celtic which will reduce the east stand tactical genuises to tears. They seem to think 'having a go' simply involves flinging men forward without thought to nullifying the Celtic players more likely to threaten or thinking about the most realistic way to break the team down.

I'd love to be proved wrong by the way. If McCall starts with two up front and we win they fair play, the east stand genuises have been right for years.

Totally agree with that. I know fuck all about tactics but in my shitey opinion I think we simply aren't going to pass through a tight packed celtic defence so the only option is to draw them out, stretch them with the threat of pacey wingers and hit them on the break.

That however it involves sitting deep for long periods against Celtic which will reduce the east stand tactical genuises to tears. They seem to think 'having a go' simply involves flinging men forward without thought to nullifying the Celtic players more likely to threaten or thinking about the most realistic way to break the team down.

I'd love to be proved wrong by the way. If McCall starts with two up front and we win they fair play, the east stand genuises have been right for years.

That's no a bad tactic for someone that knows fuck all about tactics. :thumbup: