Motherwell Vs Celtic

postiejim

When you play a team who can afford to keep McCourt on the bench, it demonstrates exactly what we are up against.

To be fair, they keep on the bench because when he plays from the start, he's pish. That he's only started 3 times for Northern Ireland as well says it all, really.

Reasonable effort by the lads today, but still annoyed that poorer teams than us seem to manage to raise their game more often than we do against the OF in recent years. Maybe they just have further to raise it, of course :P

Ok I can take the blame for the defeat! I seem to have incredible knack of turning on computer and the opposition scoring against us!!

Since game was a 6am kick off over here i was goign to just get up and look at result and avoid the torture of watching the game. However my son texted me about 7.15am askin if i had found a good stream so i figured it must be a close game. So i jumped up turned on and lasted about 5 minutes before Celtic scored. So i think i need just wait till end of games in future!

Regarding what I saw of the game, celtic winner was onside and Clancy took a stupid kick at the celtic player so no complaints on either one of those. That now leaves the door open for Hutchieson to secure his starting place back in the team.

Reasonable effort by the lads today, but still annoyed that poorer teams than us seem to manage to raise their game more often than we do against the OF in recent years. Maybe they just have further to raise it, of course :P

Do other teams really raise their game more against the Old Firm than we did today though? I've yet to see anyone batter them to be honest. We just didn't get the slice of luck that the teams who get the results against them seem to find.

Lennons celebration there was sickening

deserved more from the game than a little pride of not getting humpedimho ref got card wrong thinking headbutt from wrong viewing angle as he didnt stop game on initial challengeedit: but their 2nd goal was onside, no doubt watching it back in slow motion, he was in line with the ball player as the pass was made and moved forward onto it, just dissapointed craggs didnt block itplayers had terrific workrate early on, tackling and closing down every Celtic player, so i'm pretty dissapointed Mccourt was allowed to dance about pretty much whenever he had the ball, way too much respect shown for him.why? applauding their fans, was calderwood celebration sickening or Butchers?dry yir eyes, he's a shite manager but no dumbass, he's playing all those fools , and they are all lapping it up, even though he is failing.

From what I seen at the game (and he was pretty much in front of me) he walked onto the park, turned round to face the Well 'section' of the POD Stand raised his arms to each side and gave it the 1000 yard stare. Arrogance and lack of self awareness ripping out of him. Aye, play the panto villian but when it is putting you and your family's safety at risk you need to question what he has between his lugs.

I'm more annoyed that Clancy will miss games against Aberdeen (A), Dundee Utd (H), and Hibs (H). Better get some bubble wrap round Hutch and Crags cause if one of them get injured we have a problem.

• Like 1

I can't help but feel slightly aggrieved that we've come out of that with nothing. I thought we deserved the point and there was little separating the sides on the day (apart from their winning goal obviously!)

After a slightly hesitant opening few minutes I thought we started the half brilliantly and to getting the goal was no less than we deserved at that point. Crucially though we weren't able to let the pressure build on them from their supporters. Another five - ten minutes perhaps with us in the lead and who knows what their mentality might have been.

Sadly though they got the goal and thereafter we bore witness to the kind of tactics that really embody their manager, snarling and whingeing in the face of the referee after every challenge, looking for the foul and embellishing every foul that was committed against them. Truly a very unpalatable lot both on and off the park.

Some inexplicable officiating from Richmond and his assistants didn't help. Are Celtic really never going to be penalised for handball against Motherwell again?. It seems a laugh and smile is all the punishment that's needed for that offence. Their Swedish defender afforded a luxury of persistent fouling without rebuke whereas Lasley and Jennings were pulled up.

I thought it was offside at the time but the word from those watching on TV with the benefits of replays and the like suggest not, though that doesn't lessen my frustration any I must admit.

But disappointed as I am with the result the performance from the team as a whole was first class. A wee bit more creativity would have been nice but the tempo was good, there was no hint of fear out there whatsoever and we matched them for aggression and will throughout.

A nice touch by McCall in dragging as many of the team together as he could at full-time too - they deserved that collective round of praise from the crowd, much as looked rightly gutted at the outcome.

From what I seen at the game (and he was pretty much in front of me) he walked onto the park, turned round to face the Well 'section' of the POD Stand raised his arms to each side and gave it the 1000 yard stare. Arrogance and lack of self awareness ripping out of him. Aye, play the panto villain but when it is putting you and your family's safety at risk you need to question what he has between his lugs.

I'm more annoyed that Clancy will miss games against Aberdeen (A), Dundee Utd (H), and Hibs (H). Better get some bubble wrap round Hutch and Crags cause if one of them get injured we have a problem.

The guy is a complete fanny but hes playing the celtic support brilliantly.

• Like 1

Do other teams really raise their game more against the Old Firm than we did today though? I've yet to see anyone batter them to be honest. We just didn't get the slice of luck that the teams who get the results against them seem to find.

Nobody batters them, but obviously Celtic have been dropping points left right and centre this year, Falkirk have papped Rangers out the cup, St. Mirren deserved at least their point off them the other week etc. Given the comparatively good few years of form we've had, it's just irks me how comparatively few points we seem to have chipped off them.

At the end Wanyama claimed Higdon elbowed him in the face and wanted to sqaure up to Higgy, and had to be dragged away at the end. Nothing in it from the angle I had but just sums up the Referee's attitude to the whole game, let Celtic do what they want and turn your back on it. Motherwell see Lasley booked for what was nothing at all, and Stokes only got himself booked because he couldn't shut up. Even after that he should've been given a second yellow for further dissent. Richmond is the worst Referee I think we have, and there are plenty of them vying for the title.

Very true. He was 11 minutes from being out a job today. He knows it and more importantly he knows it is still coming. I will be delighted to see the back of him.

He's doing a brilliant job, I hope they keep him til the end of the season at least. Best chance we have of splitting the OF. :rolleyes:

At the end Wanyama claimed Higdon elbowed him in the face and wanted to sqaure up to Higgy, and had to be dragged away at the end. Nothing in it from the angle I had but just sums up the Referee's attitude to the whole game, let Celtic do what they want and turn your back on it. Motherwell see Lasley booked for what was nothing at all, and Stokes only got himself booked because he couldn't shut up. Even after that he should've been given a second yellow for further dissent. Richmond is the worst Referee I think we have, and there are plenty of them vying for the title.

Thankfully the referee kept his cards in when he should have, as Lasley and Jennings would have spent sometime in the changing room (at least the whole second half). We got huge benefits from the referee today.

the referee as really quite lenient today , both Lasley and Jennings could have been booked a lot earlier and even though they were eventually carded for fairly innocuous (sp?) challenges they were probably deserved for the amount of times they fouled beforehand, and could've walked for a couple tackles thereafter

he did get it wrong a couple of times but I'm not sure it changed the result , I personally think the sending of was not for the challenge/clash but for a wrongly adjudged headbut but we'll have to wait and hear what it was for ( as McCall has said it was correct after speaking to Clancy) and it was clear from the TV that the ref didnt see anything untoward he reacted to his earpiece shout from the assistant who was at the far side of the pitch

as for Lennon, he is a fud, but I reckon a few of our fans are being a bit precious over his celebration, remember all the Celtic board and officials are sitting right at the front of the exec' section in the middle of the POD.

our team did pretty good today, a couple were outstanding, a couple made some marginal errors that cost us a couple of goals, and the usual suspects made the usual mistakes that they are well known for and usually put us in more pressure than we need to be.

Celtic took advantage more than the rest have, and we didn't have the ability or resource to put them under real pressure

We gave it a good go today and came up just short. I despise they bastards but they just about deserved it for taking the game to us in the 2nd half. In saying that, we engineered two excellent opportunities that were thwarted by the all too familiar sight of Law and Murphy hesitating in front of goal.

Good solid performances from just about everybody but we are lacking in a couple of key areas.

• Like 1

We got beat today but ..............i stil find myself going to look at the league table.........AND it stil makes good reading!!!

We now go to the end of the year before we have to play rangers in January. i think this run of fixtures ( 7 games ) will determine where we finish. I think that whereever we are on Dec 29th is where we will finish in the league.

Given Lasley was booked for a first foul which, in my opinion was not, then you have to look at the amount of fouls which Mastorovic dished out (which went unpunished) to see just how leniant the Ref was towards them.

Brazilian, I don't think anyone is being 'precious'. I think it needs addressed how often Lennon ends up on the park questioning officials, squaring up to players, and now celebrating goals. It must be every other game. Underscores the arrogance of everyobe connected to that Club that think they can do what they want, when they want, but pull out the victim card amytime they are challenged.

Again, if it was just being the panto villian fair doos. We know there is more to it than that though. Bad loser, massive chip on his shoulder, wildly out of his depth,pandering to a bigoted, imbecile, support.

I'm not disagreeing with a lot of that Finlay,

but are you sure he was on the park? as thats a different story to what was said earlier and certainly not seen from the TV coverage

and was he being subjected to any abuse from behind his dugout, we all know Mcall and our own managers have been, so I'd be surprised if someone like lennon was not.

he's a twat and a failure as a manager, but as i said seems to get a lot more focus than Butcher or Calderwood for some of the more simplistic gestures that you and others no doubt dont even acknowledge

but I'm not overly fussed to discuss much more just that I questioned the description sickening aimed at him for raised arms and fists in the air celebrating a goal a bit precious when compared to the other examples

Feel a bit aggrieved that we got nothing out the game, we put plenty in throughout the game and I reckon a draw would've been fair. You could see by the way Shellic were moaning, diving and conducting themselves that they felt the pressure, and knew that they had to win at all costs. Lennon was his usual annoying self on thr touchline, but as seems to be the way after last season, no-one has the guts to challenge him any more.

Richmond was very generous towards Shellic in my view, lots of wee fouls given their way due to their propensity to go down easily and moan like hell in his ear. We needed someone stronger to stand up to them and not be so easily conned.

Disappointed we conceded so quickly after going in front, especially as it was through carelessness in possession that lead to the corner. Samaras was total shite, and my concern was that when McCourt came on he'd bring a whole host of different problems, and so it proved.

Ach well, sitting 3rd aint so bad. As long as we recover from this and take points against the Sheep, United and Hibby's then fine. Onwards and upwards.

Feel a bit aggrieved that we got nothing out the game, we put plenty in throughout the game and I reckon a draw would've been fair. You could see by the way Shellic were moaning, diving and conducting themselves that they felt the pressure, and knew that they had to win at all costs. Lennon was his usual annoying self on thr touchline, but as seems to be the way after last season, no-one has the guts to challenge him any more.

Richmond was very generous towards Shellic in my view, lots of wee fouls given their way due to their propensity to go down easily and moan like hell in his ear. We needed someone stronger to stand up to them and not be so easily conned.

Disappointed we conceded so quickly after going in front, especially as it was through carelessness in possession that lead to the corner. Samaras was total shite, and my concern was that when McCourt came on he'd bring a whole host of different problems, and so it proved.

Ach well, sitting 3rd aint so bad. As long as we recover from this and take points against the Sheep, United and Hibby's then fine. Onwards and upwards.

Can only echo what's already been said really. Gutted we ended up losing but didn't do enough with the ball. In saying that, if both teams continue to perform the way they both did today, we'll see ourselves back above Celtic again this season. Are their fans really happy to come away to clubs with a 10th of their budget and play the "long diagonal ball" game? Celtic? Self-professed champions of beautiful football?

They were mince and it makes it that bit worse to lose when they were so devoid of ideas for 80 minutes.

Brazilian, I'm certain he was on the park and I'll be honest in saying I don't notice what opposing teams managers do when their team score. I think that like McCall they are probably a bit low key and less attenion seeking and dare I say a wee bit mire respectful. Lennon is an attention whore and wants the camera on himself all the time.

• Like 1

Cutting edge was sadly lacking from us for long spells of that game. I don't necessarily think it was the forwards' fault though - I think as a general rule our midfield and forward line are too far apart when we are in possession. That means no matter what Higdon does with the balls played to him, Celtic will as a minimum win the second ball.

Equally Celtic were pretty hopeless as well until they brought on McCourt and he just had the wee magical ingredient that we couldn't cope with. And all that served up was a pretty enthralling game of football that pinged from end to end with little goalmouth action. Quality was thin on the ground but you could never take your eye off it. So much so I forgot to go and get a pie.

What really frustrates me though is the first goal we lost. Clancy made an arse of it to concede the corner in the first place then BOTH their forwards get a free run on the ball in our box. Sorry boys but that was shite and no team will let you away with that. Also concession of the goal seemed to knock us off our stride for twenty minutes and the power of steam we'd built up in the opening ten was gone.

Normally I try and defend referees but I'm having hard work today. However I don't think he cost us the game. It became quite a niggly one to manage with some players love affair with the deck but he had no consistency with free kicks awarded and his yellow cards seemed a bit random. I could point to worse fouls by all three players who were booked that went unchecked. I didn't see the incident with the red card so will refrain from comment but overall I just felt he was all over the place. However to his credit he did give us ones when there were little tugs and no falling over and I imagine a lot of refs would just have let the game run.