2012/13 Ins & Outs Thread

SCDave

On MFC TV the other day McCall basically said that he has talked to all the players' agents and is aware of who is interested in re-signing and hinted that at least a couple of players will be leaving (which isn't a big surprise).

He added that, until we are guaranteed top 6, the board can't make any firm offers.

It sounded like they are already actively looking for replacements, as he also mentioned that he was talking to the agents of prospects more often than he talked to his wife.

I would imagine that Law is one of the players likely to leave and I have never had an issue with players moving to any team they want to (OF or otherwise). We'll bring in a replacement and keep moving forwards like we always do.

Perhaps the proposed reconstruction will offer the club a bit more security in terms of guaranteed income, allowing us to tie good players up on 3 year deals, instead of running the risk of losing good players every summer for nothing, we can at least get some money in for them, to be reinvested making the next faddy, murphy, Quinn, Pearson, clarkson or bringing in a law, Randolph, Jennings....

What's the financial significance of top 6? We have played celtic twice at home already, and the place by place prize money benefit of a higher finish has been somewhat diluted.

All the teams that bring better travelling supports are in the bottom 6!!

Probavly have 2 of Inverness, Ross county and stjohnstone at home post split as it stands....

1363019360[/url]' post='376479']

What's the financial significance of top 6? We have played celtic twice at home already, and the place by place prize money benefit of a higher finish has been somewhat diluted.

All the teams that bring better travelling supports are in the bottom 6!!

Probavly have 2 of Inverness, Ross county and stjohnstone at home post split as it stands....

How has the place money been diluted, surely even 6th place pays more than 7th.

1363032120[/url]' post='376495']

You're missing his point

I fully understand the point about playing teams with smaller supports but even more reason to strive for a higher league finish to maximise the money earned by league placing.

we'll find it very, very difficult to qualify for europe if we don't make the top six.

Of course, I'm just questioning the importance being placed on getting in the top 6 before we can sign folk up. Seems like stalling to me. We could finish 6th.

Obviously finishing 2nd has to be the aim, but 6th would still be a possibility.

1363040996[/url]' post='376507']

Of course, I'm just questioning the importance being placed on getting in the top 6 before we can sign folk up. Seems like stalling to me. We could finish 6th.

Obviously finishing 2nd has to be the aim, but 6th would still be a possibility.

The difference between 6th and 9th could be around £150,000 which could be one or two salaries or could be an extra £20k on the offer made to 3 or 4 key players.

Is that

The point about finishing in 6th place means that you are guaranteed a prize money payment in April. If you finish outside the top 6 you don't get anything until July so finishing in the top 6 means you have cash flow to see you through the summer months.

Is that correct, a top six payment is physically made at the point of the split, just assumed the benefit is that the end year payout has a guaranteed minimum and therefore there was some certainty going forward.

Is that

Is that correct, a top six payment is physically made at the point of the split, just assumed the benefit is that the end year payout has a guaranteed minimum and therefore there was some certainty going forward.

It is indeed. I heard it straight from an SPL Chairman's mouth on Sportsound. I can't remember the life of me which one but it was either St Mirren or Ross County.

The could make the bottom six a payment too equal to the 12th place payment.

Is that

Yes, that is 100% correct.

The period between New Year and early summer is traditionally a hard time for clubs financially. NethertonWellfan is right about it being a lean time in terms of cash flow. If there are problems they usually surface or come to a head post New Year - Rangers, Hearts, and Dunfermline being examples.

1363099418[/url]' post='376530']

What a weird way of doing things! Especially as teams in the bottom 6 are more likely to have cash flow problems, and won't get any financial boost from a celtic game at home.

Kind of think that all SPL teams apart from Celtic have cashflow problems and remember not all teams in the top 6 will play Celtic at home post the split.

Kind of think that all SPL teams apart from Celtic have cashflow problems and remember not all teams in the top 6 will play Celtic at home post the split.

Yes, we won't be due to play them, in previous seasons you would normally get one or other of them or rangers (I know 2? Years ago we didn't) was just an observation, it's a strange set up.

Could be really interesting how the post split fixtures pan out. From the top six as it stands only Hibs have only played Celtic at home once this season. Well, Caley, County and St J have all already had Celtic at home twice.

Could be really interesting how the post split fixtures pan out. From the top six as it stands only Hibs have only played Celtic at home once this season. Well, Caley, County and St J have all already had Celtic at home twice.

I'm sure some stat to will know, have we ever had a fair and balanced split of fixtures since the introduction of the split

Farcical, that prizes and payments are distributed, based on results where one half of the competition for any place has benefited from home advantage over league rivals

im thinking McCall is going down the same road as Houston now - does he feel he has taken us as far as he can? does he feel that with that many players leaving, the rebuilding job is going to be very difficult (maybe more cuts ahead) and it may prevent him from moving on as it could potentially damage his CV - when the last couple of years have made him a hot prospect

i think he is stalling - because he knows come the summer, there will be other jobs out there. it might even be a case of, when he spoke to some of the out of contract players agents- more of them said they were leaving, rather than staying on and thats has swayed his mind

he might even fancy going back down south

but if nothing is announced soon, with league reconstruction, potentially no manager, half the squad leaving.........how will this affect season ticket sales and the well society??

for me - it doesnt look that promising

Or maybe he's having to wait until top 6 is guaranteed before the details can be finalized (just like the players).

He made all the right noises earlier, so I'm not too worried, but this is Motherwell - if he goes, he goes and we'll carry on regardless.

What is interesting is that, after all the doubts and complaints when we hired him, so many people are worried he's going to leave.

• Like 1