Where Do We Go From Here

gilmour

for me mccall's time is up.

changing manager has worked well for us in the past. we got a boost when mcghee, gannon and brown came in and freshened the place up. we need someone who can overhaul the entire squad and mccall is not the man for the job. he's not even a good judge of players in our own squad, in april page plays at easter road and looks solid, makes two appearances this season and plays well yet he is on loan at accies whilst mccall's two summer signings make a laughing stock of us live on tv.

on the playing side i wouldn't be too gutted if hammell and lasley were the only current players still here next season. randolph, hateley, hutchy, law and murphy are all guaranteed to leave for more money elsewhere and higdon, humphrey, daley and ramsden are all imposters and should be hunted.

• Like 1

Isn't his contract up at the end of this season? I think the club will wait until January or so and see how we're doing before making a decisions on whether to renew or not.

No point in releasing him now, which will result in us having to pay him for the remainder of his contract, then we'll have to look for someone mid-season.

WHY ALL THE WHINGING IF WE WIN OUR GAME IN HAND WE ARE 2ND

If. Massive word even without Caps Lock.

However you are incorrect. We would be fifth. The game in hand also comes AFTER the next roubd of fixtures which could see us further behind.

Big game on Sat against a team that was a fag paper away from 6 SPL victories in a row.

Not sure if I'm going. I'll decide midweek. If it is on BBC Alba on a delay then it's a 100% no. It will be cut off from the outdide world between 3pm to 530pm. So......is it?

changing manager has worked well for us in the past. we got a boost when mcghee, gannon and brown came in and freshened the place up. we need someone who can overhaul the entire squad and mccall is not the man for the job. he's not even a good judge of players in our own squad, in april page plays at easter road and looks solid, makes two appearances this season and plays well yet he is on loan at accies whilst mccall's two summer signings make a laughing stock of us live on tv.

on the playing side i wouldn't be too gutted if hammell and lasley were the only current players still here next season. randolph, hateley, hutchy, law and murphy are all guaranteed to leave for more money elsewhere and higdon, humphrey, daley and ramsden are all imposters and should be hunted.

We can't afford to sack him even if we wanted to.

Page got sent off at Easter Road even if he took one for the team.

I agree about McCall NOT being the man for the rebuilding job in the summer.

I look at the current crop of young players that have come through our youth system and I have to say I'm a bit concerned. To me they aren't of the same quality as players who had come through previously.....Ironically the one that impressed me most, Lawless, was released....But I look at Carswell, Hetherington, Cummins, Page, Francis-Angol, Kerr and McHugh and I don't see anyone of real first team quality.

Shouldn't we be asking some serious questions about the way our youth development is being run? It seems to me that we seem to have changed the focus from bringing in young local players to snapping up youth players that have been released from English clubs. No doubt there are good players to be found that way, Shaun Hutchinson is testament to that but I think perhaps we've gone too far down that road.

I just feel that whole side of the club, one that should be pretty high up on our list of priorities given the financial conditions, has been allowed to wither on the vine for the last couple of years.

Yes there is something seriously wrong with our youth set up but the problem is that we're now suffering from mistakes made years ago. Of the above players, Page came from Portsmouth; Hetherington from Rangers, Cummins from Everton and ZFA from Spurs. Very few of our young lads who have left in recent years have gone on to better things. Steven Lawless may be an exception - we'll see.

Part of the problem is of course is that if a young lad of say 15/16/17 is showing promise in our ranks larger clubs like Hibs, Celtic and Championship outfits will swoop for them.

In my time following Motherwell I've seen amazing highs and some really desperate lows. Success and mediocrity seems to ebb and flo our way. Recent seasons have given those in the stands significant reward, and now perhaps that period is twilighting away from us after the sensational peak that was the Champions League.

In the last 8yrs, outside the Weeg Morons, Hearts are the only Club to have topped our levels of consistancy imho ....... and they'll be lucky to see out the season if what I'm hearing from the capital is accurate.

Sadly I have to agree with much of the more negative comment above, particularly that regarding the squad. If its a given we'll lose Hutch and Randolph, I'd only keep Lasley, Hammell and Higgy, (because he's a finisher), from the remainder. Quite frankly there are guys taking to the field in claret and amber who are way way below Div-1 standard let alone SPL.

I've said it before and i reiterate ....... I've seen better Motherwell sides relegated.

• Like 1

I've been really impressed woth ZFA so far. Good pace,decent on the ball and reads the game better than any other defender we have at the moment. Still needs some development but very very promising. Our prob now is this fucking U20 league. Carswell,Cummins,McHugh,Devlin & ZFA would make significant strides in their development if they were loaned for a full season to a Dumbarton or the like but Our squad is just not deep enough to cope with that. Couple that with the fact we have 5+ 17 year olds playing U-20/Reserve football and were playing with the real possibility of stunting their development too

Probably a lot of change in our squad at the end of this season and we're entering a transitional period. However, other SPL clubs are coping well with mass departures and arrivals each season. I can foresee a shift away from longer term contracts to shorter deals as used successfully by Hibs, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock for example. Younger players, if they're good enough, will provide medium term stability.

Yeah our top goalscorer last season and currently this season with 7 goals 2nd top scorer of the league yeah I would say imposter

what goes up must come down

we have lost a number of experienced players and due to our small squad and limited budget we'll do what the Well does best, bring on the young players and as a result the team's form will dip simply because young players are still learning, make mistake and lack experience.

we might not see a good cup run or European football for a while and we may ended up ad the bottom end of the table but that won't stop me supporting the club

win, lose or draw I'm Motherwell all the way

Probably a lot of change in our squad at the end of this season and we're entering a transitional period. However, other SPL clubs are coping well with mass departures and arrivals each season. I can foresee a shift away from longer term contracts to shorter deals as used successfully by Hibs, St Johnstone and Kilmarnock for example. Younger players, if they're good enough, will provide medium term stability.

For me, shorter deals are not the way to go and it has certainly not worked for Hibs who have had an awful few years due to players not giving a shit about the club.

For Motherwell to be successful, we need to pluck out 1 or 2 free agents per year that we see potential in and invest in them with 3 year contracts with a view to keeping them for 2 years max.

On top of this, we need to spend more time focusing on the physical, technical and mental attributes of our principle assets to ensure we get the very best out of them with a view of a sell on value. Guys like Murphy and Humphrey have stagnated under McCall for a host of reasons; that shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

Meanwhile, one of the brightest prospects of our youth setup, Steven Lawless, barely gets a sniff of first team action when things are going well last season due to Omar Daley getting the odd 15 minutes. Again, this wasn't in the interests of the club.

For me McCall is to blame for our current displays and position. We haven't been good to watch this season at all, we have been on a downward spiral since the Aberdeen game and he has done very little to change our present predicament. He sent a team out on Friday night that left us dangeroudly exposed on either side by insisting in playing a striker in a left midfield position and insisting on playing a non event/waste of a jersey/imposter/non tryer/hider on the right of midefield - this resulted in us being badly exposed everytime Hibs attacked in any shape or form.

His decision to take off Ojamma for me was a mistake and his decision to again start without Hetherington or Carswell in midefiled was a mistake. McCall was happy to take the plaudits when we were winning but his dummy appears to be out since the Rangers cup defeat when his first post match media appearance revolved around praising the Rangers support.

I don't expect us to win every week but I expect to watch a team that hurts to lose and trys at some stage in a game to show a bit of passion, fight and agression and now and again I want to be entertained - that's not happening under Stuart McCall and i don't think it will. With our formation, with the players selcted it seems were are beaten before a ball is kicked at the moment and that is the most alarmimg thing.

I would rather watch 6 or 7 seventeen years old thats have been brought through our youth system and will give 100% playing alongside the likes of hammell, lasley, randolph and hutchy and finish 11th, than watching some of the passengers who are currently picking up a wage and filling a jersey every week no matter how bad they play, how little they contribute - yet they still get selected.

In short, get McCall out, start playing some younsters in their natural positions and start fighting for the cause.

Missed one game this season, including home, away and europe and I'm not going back until a see a change in direction in both how the team is being set and until they start showing some passion and belief - win, lose or draw.

So, if we change managers every 5 games then by this theory we would be unbeatable and win the league. Happy days. McCall out, quick get someone in. :doh:

I'm going by the character and performance of the team so far this season. IF we get a series of easy draws, especially at home, then yes, we might enjoy some success. However at some point its likely we'd meet tough opposition and I think we'd then struggle. Good cup teams need:

* a fair measure of skill, which we have;

* a solid defence and midfield, which we certainly have not;

* a cutting edge, which we certainly have not;

* on field leadership, which we lack; and finally

* battling qualities which we most certainly haven't.

A decent cup run comes down to luck as you have mentioned in this post which renders the rest of it pointless.