2013 - 2014 Ins & Outs

Mad Dog

Replacement for Humphrey maybe ?

http://www.scottishfootballleague.com/news/article/player-availability--kieran-critchley/

Speedy striker Kieran Critchley, who clocked up a time of 10.68 seconds for a 100 meter sprint earlier this year, is keen to try his hand at Scottish football.

The 23-year-old from Preston wants to head north after spells in England, Ireland and Malta.

Critchley said: “I want to come up to Scotland to train in pre-season and get the chance to show what I can do. I spent 6 years in the Youth Academy at Blackburn Rovers before moving to my home city club Preston North End.”

“Since then I have played in England, in the Northern Ireland Premier Division with Glentoran and Floriana FC of the Maltese Premier Division.”

In Mexico at the moment and this is first time I've came on here and seen we have signed Sutton and Nielsen . Pretty pleased with both tbh , and with another couple of additions of similar quality to those already on board we could have the makings of a side capable of 2nd or 3rd again.

Welcome back to both of them , and good luck in the C&A in the coming season.

Replacement for Humphrey maybe ?

http://www.scottishf...eran-critchley/

Speedy striker Kieran Critchley, who clocked up a time of 10.68 seconds for a 100 meter sprint earlier this year, is keen to try his hand at Scottish football.

The 23-year-old from Preston wants to head north after spells in England, Ireland and Malta.

Critchley said: "I want to come up to Scotland to train in pre-season and get the chance to show what I can do. I spent 6 years in the Youth Academy at Blackburn Rovers before moving to my home city club Preston North End."

"Since then I have played in England, in the Northern Ireland Premier Division with Glentoran and Floriana FC of the Maltese Premier Division."

Something sounds very dodgy about this!

The return of higginbottom and faddy and I would start to feel more confident about next season. Still feel we need another winger and forward at least to add to any other positions we are keen to fill

I liked Higginbotham a lot but don't know if he's what we're looking for now. We've lost a bit of pace from the team, and while he's not slow, he's not lightning quick either...

I se that Steven saunders is currently on trial with Sheffield United and got some game time against Mortron, last night. Good luck to him but I hope this doesn't turn out to be us giving the family silverware away.

If he can stay clear of injury, Saunders is a very good footballer. I wish him nothing but the best...

I know Saunders, they weren't best buddies anyway but during pre season last year McCall said to him he would be his first choice right back, I think with the injuries he's had he got more frustrated with the lack of opportunities to come back after getting back to full fitness near the end of the season. I can see mccalls point that we shouldn't change a winning formula.He was a good player with loads of potential, I recon we will regret releasing him in the future

I know Saunders, they weren't best buddies anyway but during pre season last year McCall said to him he would be his first choice right back, I think with the injuries he's had he got more frustrated with the lack of opportunities to come back after getting back to full fitness near the end of the season. I can see mccalls point that we shouldn't change a winning formula.He was a good player with loads of potential, I recon we will regret releasing him in the future

I agree, which is what motivated me to post my remarks on him getting agme time with Sheffield United. Let's hope SMcC has a worthy replacement in his sights and ready to sign for us.

If rumors are right that he was one of the higher earners and wasn't even getting on the bench the McCall was right to hunt him IMO.

Seems a bit daft to have kept him on and paid him whilst he was recovering from injury and then not sought to get some return/payback on his recovery. Couldn't we have offered him a short-term deal on baisis that he had to prove his fitness and if he did, then extend it and look to sell him?

Saunders is a good player and I'm happy to see that he's getting a chance elsewhere but I don't feel that SMcC was wrong to let him go. Sometimes a player needs a change of clubs to prove himself and I think this is the case here - best of luck to him and I hope he stays injury free.

Agent milked the Scotland cap maybe? Either way, folk are being misty-eyed about him on here because they haven't seen him for ages.

he signed his last contract before that scotland cap

from april 2010

Motherwell defender Steven Saunders has revealed his delight at his success this season after signing a one-year contract extension. The 19-year-old, who is now tied to Fir Park until the summer of 2013, joins captain Stephen Craigan, midfielder Keith Lasley and fellow defender Steven Hammell in penning a new deal. Saunders, who has cemented his place in the first-team picture this season, told the club's official website: "It has been a pretty decent season for me and to cap it with an extension to my contract has been brilliant. "I had set a target, at the start of the season, to play in about 10-15 games so to have played almost three times that has been excellent. "There are few better places to learn your trade than Fir Park and under Craig Brown and Archie Knox. "Hopefully, I will continue my development." Meanwhile, fellow defender Shaun Hutchinson played his first half of football for more than four months this afternoon after recovering from a hamstring injury. The 19-year-old managed 45 minutes of a friendly behind closed doors against St Johnstone. Manager Brown said: "Shaun Hutchinson coming back is a major boost and you can see his qualities. "He'll need more time and more games but when we get him fit, which will probably be next season, it will be like having a new player." The match also saw Motherwell field a number of trialists, including Chelsea youngster Liam Bridcutt and Perth Glory's Adriano Pelligrino.

Watched Saunders play a few times last season at centre half for the 20's and while he was generally quite assured, he never stood out enough to merit a place in the first team.

Got done a couple of times by the young Celtic lad Atijic at the game at Firhill in January. One led to a pen and the other a goal; point being against probably the most talented he'd face at that level he struggled. Am sure this wouldn't of gone unnoticed by Stu Mac.

He played at Ayr and Raith last pre-season at right back and never looked great in either, so either position we're talking about him playing here, I think people are going well over the top in their praise.

With him having his contract renewed in 2010 I'm sure it would have cost a fair bit to renew it this time. Regardless of the injury I doubt that Saunders would have taken a drop in wages, and has decided to move on. The management clearly think that we either have the internal options to cover this, or that they can replace him cheaply, freeing up funds for areas of greater need.

I always thought he was a good player, and it will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I think there is a bit more to the Saunders story. Seems that there must have been a fall out somewhere.

Don't know if there was a fall out but McCall never seemed to rate him. Remember that Saunders was very much on the side lines before his injury.

As for judging Saunders worth, or any players worth, that should be done on first team performances rather than run outs in the U20's.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but that's why I think we are releasing far too many promising but unused players from our youth ranks. Often it's players that are superb at youth level that do nothing when promoted and vice versa, players who look average or ordinary that come alive at the top level. You have to give them a chance at the top level before you can really tell if they are going to make it.

I just don't believe you can judge a players first team potential from that level of competition.