Motherwell Vs Ict... 17/08/13

Well 4 Europe

Well, after a poor performance against the Dons at Fir Park we have to try and bounce back with a tricky game in the Highlands against an Inverness team that boasts a 100% record so far this season, scoring 4 and yet to concede a goal.

What team will McCall put out? If McCall does shake things up from what I've seen so far very few players could argue with being dropped. I'd say Anier, Hollis, Hutchinson & Lasley have been fairly solid performers so far. Big McManus had a horror show against Aberdeen but was solid in the other three games.

Could any of the rest really argue if they were on the bench?

I predict much doom and gloom on here and predictions of us getting papped by 3 and 4's but I think if we can tighten up at the back we can get something from this one. To do so I would put Lawson back as there were far too many holes in our midfield against Aberdeen and ICT have a lot of dangerous forward players. Don't think we'll be silky or skilful and go up there and score 3 or 5 like last season but if we can keep it tight at the back we can hopefully nick one from a set piece or hope Anier continues to be clinical with the few chances we do create.

Personally, with back to back home games against Partick Thistle and Killie after this I'd be fairly happy with a point from this one and look to kick on from there and try to take maximum points from the two home games coming up.

Would happily take a point from this, but we've a not bad record up there so would not rule out all 3.

Despite how poor we were on Sunday, I will not be joining the ranks of those who think the entire team should be replaced, McCall should be fired and John Sutton deported. It was one game. Relax.

Also pretty sure the small matter of a trip to Russia and back may have affected stamina. Hopefully , with the squad fully rested (well, with the exception of Hammell scoring the winner for Scotland tonight :whistling: ) we can step it up a bit.

Prediction; Score draw.

I usually like to be in the half full camp, but I have to agree with BigColin here. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest we offer anything going forward other than a high ball over the top.

I can't see any creativity and craft to break down the opposition.

Hopefully everything clicks this weekend, but I expect us to get beat. :(

I usually like to be in the half full camp, but I have to agree with BigColin here. I haven't seen anything yet to suggest we offer anything going forward other than a high ball over the top.

Did you see our goal against Aberdeen?

McCall has shown he likes to keep it on the deck and play a bit of football, so I think that will come in time. Regardless though, I think we match up OK against ICT and will pull a win out of the bag.

Did you see our goal against Aberdeen?

Yes, a big punt from a goal kick and a knock forward to beat the offside trap. The very definition of long ball football, Im not seeing your point here at all. If you thought there was anything creative in that build up, you are either off your head or more likely reverting to the your overly pedantic online persona.

More worryingly than the manner in which we scored the goal was the fact that for the remaining 89 minutes I don't think we sent anything at all at the Aberdeen goal!

McCall has shown he likes to keep it on the deck and play a bit of football, so I think that will come in time. Regardless though, I think we match up OK against ICT and will pull a win out of the bag.

I agree with you here that McCall likes to keep it on the deck and play football, that much has been obvious in the last 2.5 years. I hope you are correct in that it will come in time.

I also hope you are correct in that we match up well against ICT and Killie.

• Like 2

Yes, a big punt from a goal kick and a knock forward to beat the offside trap. The very definition of long ball football, Im not seeing your point here at all. If you thought there was anything creative in that build up, you are either off your head or more likely reverting to the your overly pedantic online persona.

You call it a knock forward to beat the offside trap, I call it a sweet reverse pass to the supporting striker.

For me, the long ball game is big punts into the box for a tall striker. I know we have drifted into that (especially when the players get tired and look for a lazy option), but if that had been Faddy rather than Sutton that hit that assist, there would have been people on here creaming themselves about his spark and talent to unlock defences.

• Like 1

I'd take a point right now from this game, and hopefully some cohesion in the play. I think Inverness will win with a bit to spare though.

Don't know what's wrong with Faddy, and it pains me to say it, but he has been worse than a man down so far. Even if he was firing on all cylinders he's wasted out on the wing, but who else can we play there? I'm starting to question the signing of 3 defenders when it was clear from the get go we needed at least 1 wide player. We also have an abundance of central midfielders and it's not only a waste of a wage when we need cover in other areas, but square pegs in round holes etc won't work for the whole season. We've been very pedestrian so far and the movement off the ball has not nearly been good enough.

I know it's early days but I've seen precious little to be optimistic about so far. Hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

McCall being away all week isn't ideal as we've clearly a lot to sort out.

Looking forward to going up, but expecting a tough game to say the least. Speaking to a Dundee Utd mate a work reckoned they were worth the result against them, and are a big powerful team.

Disappointed to lose the 3 goals against the Sheep, but other than that felt we've been fairly tight at the back - a lot of the goals against us have been individual errors, but hopefully that will be worked on during the week.

Agree that going forward we don't look as sharp as last season, but it took a few games to click last year, so ever hopeful. Lawson coming back in is a gimme as far as I'm concerned, and if he's fit, I'd get Faddy off the wing and give him more of a free role behind the front one\two.

Whatever team plays

MON RA DOSSERS

Hopefully McFadden will finally step up to the plate, although we could be saying this all season.

To be honest, all he probably needs to do is stop trying so hard, looks like he's been trying to win every game on his own any time I've seen him so far this season.

To be honest, all he probably needs to do is stop trying so hard, looks like he's been trying to win every game on his own any time I've seen him so far this season.

Got to agree with this.

If he was an unknown player signed from the lower leagues I'd be writing him off already. Trying too much too often. needs to play the simple pass and stop giving up possession. The guy has an obvious talent but if I hadn't seen evidence of it before I'd be wanting him benched!

Once he gets his fitness back and realises that he can't win the game himself then I'm sure we'll get back seeing the Faddy we all know and love.

thats the problem playing faddy at right midfield he is having to try and do too much like beating 2 or 3 men before he can get himself into a dangerous area,right now he doesnt have the fitness to be trying to beat players everytime he has the ball.id have faddy and vigurs playing right in behind anier for this game and go with a midfield 3 of lawson,lasley and carswell.weve got a good record up there but i would be more than happy with a point from this game

• Like 1

A lot of undue negativity, we have been disappointing but are not so far from finding some shape and will then surely be at least as good as ICT. We have good players all over the park. We looked impressive for large sections of the Kuban away game. IMO McCall will find a winning formula as soon as he stops trying to squeeze all the new signings into one system, a couple of our 'bigger' players need dropped and there is the making of a decent side, albeit maybe not as balanced or developed as we had last year. We can't play Vigurs, Lawson and Las unless we go to one striker, and that one striker cannot be ever be Sutton.

This could go either way and both teams will score.

• Like 1

Hollis

Kerr Hutchison McManus Hammell

Carswell Lawson Lasley

Sutton Anier McFadden

I expect to see Hollis start, given us a couple of nervy moments but has on the whole done ok and made a few good saves.

Like to see Kerr get a chance, more legs to get up and provide a bit of width. With that midfield three I'd hope we can get a reasonable grip on the game but Carswell provide a bit more energy that been a bit lacking.

I'd give Faddy licence to roam and hopefully Sutton and Anier can develop a partnership.

Lawson has to come back in on Saturday. Hollis will start in goals again and there is no reason why he shouldn't. Same back 4? For me, no i'd drop Hammell and give Angol a game at left back. He might no have travelled far but Hammells inclusion in the Scotland squad could mean he's a wee bit tired. Although, imo he should be dropped for last week's performance.

Team for me :

Hollis

Ramsden Hutchy McManus Angol

Lasley Lawson Vigurs

Anier Sutton McFadden

A 4-5-1 pushing into a 4-3-3 when on the attack. Will be a tough game but our record up there gives me no reason to believe we can come home with the 3 points in the bag.