The Groundsmans View

Kmcalpin

From someone who was highly critical of mistakes made in the past... credit where credit is due. Given the rainfall mentioned, our pitch hasn't broken up and whilst not the lush green hybrid pitches we see every waking hour on skysports - our pitch is fairing better than most in the country.

Interesting to note, the main problem area is towards the South East corner - as the gradient goes, it's the highest part of the pitch :blink:

Interesting to note, the main problem area is towards the South East corner - as the gradient goes, it's the highest part of the pitch :blink:

Or the DEEP END as it was christened a few season back. (whos got the photo?)

or was that to do with the overflowing pissers running down the stand?

Your use of "I think" means that's an opinion rather than a fact

Empirically, we have had more issues with waterlogging than freezing for the given sample universe. From a hypothesis test with 95% confidence limits, that indicates torrential rain is more problematic.

Once the data is peer reviewed by the appropriate referees I'll post a link to the publishing journal.

• Like 3

Neg votes ... deary me.

The pitch was woeful a few years back, an empiricle sandpit, no doubt that helped seal the P45 of the existing groundsman. This article resulted in a lot of back slapping on here for the current one.

All I was saying was (and it appear it wasn't grasped) if he encountered a winter where snow lay and froze pretty much for 2 months as it did in 2009 and 2010 then the current state of the pitch I suspect would be very different and he would no doubt be facing a little more sniping on here.

All I was pointing out it may have been fair to judge his efforts off the back of a cruel winter.

I live 5 minute from Fir Park and there wasn't a single night of lying snow this year. Probably the mildest winter I can ever remember.

Aye, we kept it all over here this winter - so much that the towns were running out of salt to put on the roads.