Motherwell V St Johnstone 03/05/14

Brazilian

7200 odd. About 250 St Johnstone fans so quite a turn out for us.

good crowd. Hope there is a big turnout for Wednesday game as well and get behind the lads. I'm thinking that Caley's season is done now, with respect to a euro place, so hopefully they will have switched off.

That's an excellent crowd.

The South stand had both tiers open with so many primary/secondary schools/boys clubs/anyone that was entitled to a freebie club. So many that it took Speedie most of the HT interval to read out the various groups and boosting the crowd by about 2000 I'd guess

Mentioned it in the shoutbox at the time, the Open All Mics coverage was absolutely brilliant entertainment today. As for our game, a huge win and I really think we'll kick on and nick 2nd place now!

Gazzy!!! Did you not learn anything in the shout box today?? :wallbash:

We played some good stuff in the first half and probably deserved more than a one goal lead. Only blot on the copybook was the slack concession of yet another goal from a set play.

Second half we seemed in control of what was going on right at the back but the game was not being played on our terms and the midfield lost the fight. I thought it was crying out for Leitch to come on to give us another digger in there. Hollis made one good save and Hutchinson's mental booking and foul concession apart we defended much better than of late.

Very pleased with us tonight though, a super three points against a team who were bang on form.

An important win today which boosts our chances of finishing 2nd or 3rd. First half was good in patches but the second was very poor as retreated into our own penalty box. The midfield went awol, but Craig Reid did help to shore things up when he was drafted in there by Stuart McCall.

Good performances from Hollis, Hutchinson, Reid and Vigurs.

I thought Saints played like a mob of petulant playground bully boys and were fortunate that the referee was very accommodating.

Onwards and upwards.

Slightly surprised by St Johnstone's overly aggressive approach to the game. Certainly not taking it easy in the run-up to the final.

Don't know why, because for the past 2 or 3 seasons they've been perhaps the physically hardest team in the league along with maybe Dundee United. In almost every game against them these days you see late tackles and boots left in. Guys like Anderson are ticking timebombs. Steve May for all his ability has always been a pretty abrasive character. Within the first minute he'd committed a stupid foul on Keith Lasley (unpunished of course). A high ball came over just in front of the dugouts and although standing just behind Keith and more than capable of winning the ball he didn't even try. Instead he opted to wait on the deck and thump Keith in the back as he jumped.

The cup final will not be for the faint hearted that's for sure. Its got the potential for a bloodbath. You'll see dives aplenty, late challenges, cynical fouls, sneaky fouls - the lot. Two very very hard sides.

Nice to see a healthy crowd there today too. Only a few hundred less than for the Celtic game.

I'm sick of saying it but it should be done every week. Would be interesting to know how much the club took in yesterday (including from the pie stands and club shop) compared to every other week.

I'm sick of saying it but it should be done every week. Would be interesting to know how much the club took in yesterday (including from the pie stands and club shop) compared to every other week.

Don't know about every week but I agree it should be done more often. As you say the catering profits should have been boosted yesterday.

Have also been saying that 4years and no the club is doing it well done .But only for random games , if it was done every week I belive it would devalue the worth of a free tickets and it would not be that much of an event for the kids .That's when to get them supporting the local team....... when they are young.......

At the end of the game there were 24 stewards lined up along the bottom of the south stand. Was that really needed? it was full of primary school kids. what did they think would happen? It was well over the top.

Yeah at the time I thought the same but looking at it after last year it made a bit of sense. Last year the kids had their end of season pitch invasion, so the people that haven't been to a game since then (which I bet is most of them) might think its a regular thing and not just done on the last game, or at least that might have been what the Stewards were thinking anyway.

The outcome was exactly as hoped for and the day made even better with Aberdeen losing and Dundee Utd, perhaps unexpectedly, dropping point at Inverness.

The first half was a good reaction I felt after last weekend. We started positively and at a good tempo and passed up a couple of half decent chances before we got our noses in front - whether intended or accidental!

Pretty poor goal to lose both in terms of the free header Mackay was allowed and the passage of play that earned them the corner in the first place.

Again though a decent response if a slightly bizarre equaliser. Quite odd that one of the most important goals of the season was met with some of the most muted responses and celebrations of the season given how the referee had handled the situation.

A nervy old second half ensued and having looked bright offensively in the first half, defensively we looked largely sound in the second and restricted Saints to very few opportunities.

Let's just keep it going on Wednesday!