The Next Manager, Who Would You Want And Who Could We Get

stuwell

This is 21st century football. Applying is old school. His agent will have orchestrated that interview so he could confirm his interest and then have someone from the club put out feelers to see if his agent will ask him if he might want to speak to a representative about the possibility of discussing an interview.

• Like 1

Got to agree with the chat on Billy McKinlay. He seems to tick all of the boxes on what we look for in a gaffer. I'd expect his agent to be putting his name forward for the role.

I do hope he gets it, I think he would be a great appointment. He would certainly be hungry for it after his Watford experience and i'm sure it'll be a role he'll take with one eye on getting back down south. It's a win-win.

Also, completely irrelevant of course, but I stuck a few quid on him when SkyBet had him at 25/1...

BBC gossip page

Former Motherwell striker Owen Coyle is one of the leading contenders to be named manager of the Fir Park outfit, despite initially distancing himself from the role. (Daily Record)

And Argentina legend Ossie Ardiles has also applied to become the Steelmen's new manager. (Daily Express)

Ex-Newcastle player Nolberto Solano could be named 'Well manager if a London-based consortium successfully buys the club, with a view to showcasing South American talent at Fir Park. (Daily Mail)

Billy McKinlay would be a good appointment because he has some coaching experience and knowledge of the Scottish game. He also talks about the role in terms of getting the most out of the playing resources he manages. It doesn't matter what contacts the new manager has - he (or she) will have to be able to maximise the existing playing talent and develop young players. Billy Davies and Owen Coyle may also be useful in steadying the side up the league as an interim, help the club bed in a new manager for the long term and boost their own profile for a bigger job next summer.

So far as the exotic names mentioned such as Solano, Bogarde, Ardilles, etc. I suspect this is purely agents at work, putting their clients in the shop window. It all looks fancy stories to fill space in tabloids and discussion boards. I'm not interested.

So far as the exotic names mentioned such as Solano, Bogarde, Ardilles, etc. I suspect this is purely agents at work, putting their clients in the shop window. It all looks fancy stories to fill space in tabloids and discussion boards. I'm not interested.

Yep, although I fear there could be some grain of truth in the Solano thing given the recent 'Well Trust emails. But if memory serves, Ardiles at least has "applied" for the Motherwell job before in recent years.

There's a Special GM of the Well Society on the 25th November whose agenda includes:

2. Review of Recent Events

So I'm guessing that might provide some more insight. (Of course, if they ever managed to provide access to the meetings for non-local members, I might not even have to guess).