Baraclough Out

Bop

Lasley has many flaws but lack of effort ?, even his biggest detractor, Kmcalpin, would not throw that at him,

Agreed Iain - no disagreement on my part. He's always given 100% and thats all you can ask of a player.

In our squad we have the makings of a decent team, albeit with some passengers/poor signings. For whatever reason Ian Baraclough was not getting the best from them.

• Like 1

Sounds like a bit of carnage in the dressing room afterwards. Les' comments are particularly interesting, he seems gutted that Barraclough is away. Would imagine that him & Barra had a conversation after the game where Barra admitted he had no control over certain players and wasn't up to it any more. Feel quite sorry for him now.

Think it's also safe to say that there are some complete and utter wankers that play for Motherwell FC right now. Hope Craggs goes right through some of them.

Really interesting times ahead.

Just listened to the full interview on Sportsound: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p033b584

As much as Les sounds pretty gutted that the guy he's backed hasn't worked out the bit that reports have picked up on, the 'hang their heads in shame' comment, is really just something that for some reason he's chucked in at the end of the interview. The way it's been reported I was half expecting some sort of uber-rage. For the most part it's a fairly straightforward interview until he drops in that line that gives all the news stories their headline.

It will be interesting to see which of the newer players were here to play for Motherwell or for Baraclough.

They weren't here for either, just for a wee runabout and maybe the odd win bonus.

Call me a cynic if you will, but I think a lot of players come up here from England that are maybe on the fringes of things down south and they think it's going to be a stroll for 6 months or a year until they get a 'proper' job.

Also some of them can't be bothered when they are playing in small grounds in front of small attendances and just aren't up for it.

Sounds like a bit of carnage in the dressing room afterwards. Les' comments are particularly interesting, he seems gutted that Barraclough is away. Would imagine that him & Barra had a conversation after the game where Barra admitted he had no control over certain players and wasn't up to it any more. Feel quite sorry for him now.

Think it's also safe to say that there are some complete and utter wankers that play for Motherwell FC right now. Hope Craggs goes right through some of them.

Really interesting times ahead.

I dont feel sorry for him at all. He clearly didnt have the personality, character or balls to run a dressing room.

Arguments and fights happen in dressing rooms all the time.

I suspect Les is being cute with the media again. He sacked the manager and basically blamed the players for not performing right at the end of the interview....if he was so sure of baraclough he wouldnt have got shot of him.

• Like 2

Woke up a bit now after my grumpy rant...on reflection I do feel a wee bit sorry for him as he is just a guy doing a job and there may be some strong personalities in the dressimg room. However the buck stops with the manager and he should have had control of the dressing room long ago if that was a problem. His recent tactics and setup were bizarre and ultimately that was as much part of the downfall.

With Baraclough, it always seemed a matter of when rather than if he'd go. Beating Rangers twice (irrespective of where they were as a team at the time), should have cemented any Motherwell manager's place with the fans. But it felt as if it was like "Ok, now prove yourself..". For whatever reason, it never felt as if he was going to last. Someone posted stats a couple of weeks ago suggesting that his points percentage was comparable with the likes of Killie, Partick and Dundee United since he came in. So it wasn't simply down to results. Perhaps the abject nature of the performances in games we lost?

I bear the guy no ill will. As the phrase goes, no one sets out to do a bad job at their work. Like Gannon and Kampman before him, he was just the wrong guy at the wrong time...

I'm sad to see Ian go. I think he had the right ideas when it came to training and getting players match fit. Although, he was a bit left field at time with his team selection and tactics were sometimes questionable. He'd make a brilliant coach rather than manager i think. From what Les is saying, sounds like there were some billy big baws going about thinking they ran the show, which undermind his authority and made it more difficult that it had to be. Cheers Ian for keeping the team in the top league! Last time out i said Maskant had my vote, he still does.

• Like 1

With Baraclough, it always seemed a matter of when rather than if he'd go. Beating Rangers twice (irrespective of where they were as a team at the time), should have cemented any Motherwell manager's place with the fans. But it felt as if it was like "Ok, now prove yourself..". For whatever reason, it never felt as if he was going to last. Someone posted stats a couple of weeks ago suggesting that his points percentage was comparable with the likes of Killie, Partick and Dundee United since he came in. So it wasn't simply down to results. Perhaps the abject nature of the performances in games we lost?

I bear the guy no ill will. As the phrase goes, no one sets out to do a bad job at their work. Like Gannon and Kampman before him, he was just the wrong guy at the wrong time...

I think that is it. The way we were losing games was so so pish to watch and when won it was never really that great either (Rangers aside). For me, I was more than willing to let him get his own team together and a full pre season as I thought and hoped it would change the style of play for the better. But it didnt.

Also, probably didnt help that he came in after McCall who played really good attacking football most of the time. Add in to the mix he wasnt the most engaging in front of a camera and there you have it.

Yeah, feel sorry it never worked out for him but absolutely correct decision from the club. He will always be remembered for the manner in which we demolished Rangers in the play-off.

For me, him going now allows us to reflect on him more positively than we would have if he had hung on longer as he's gone before he can dig a hole deep enough for himself that he couldn't get out.

Talked the talk brilliantly. Couldn't walk the walk. Out his depth, but from the outside, a really genuinely nice bloke. Hope he gets another crack in the game as believe he does have some very positive ideas.

Glad he has gone though - onwards and upwards.

COYW

I've left the fitba buzzing just 3 times since Baraclough came in, Accies at home and both Rangers games.

I'd add St Mirren at home to that list. But that 5-0 win was then followed up by one of the most dismal performances you're likely to see in the return at their place post split.

I think what counted against him, in addition to poor results, was the fact that on paper he was putting together a reasonable squad that looked as though it was underperforming. Long running problems such as a leaky defence and soft / ineffective midfield were never addressed. All too often team selections and tactics left you wondering if a few more rational changes might not have achieved something.

I wonder how much differently things might have turned out had Stephen Pearson not fucked himself at Inverness or if one of the many signings had been a similar box to box midfielder?

I think we had reached a point even at East Fife the other week where it was more a case of how long he could hang on, rather than if he'd hang on.

For me, as much as I was willing to give him a chance he just seemed like a guy who was perpetually going to have to prove himself and it was a matter of when not if he left. He could have picked up points in the next 3 or 4 games but as soon as we dropped points questions would be asked again. Unfortunately regardless of his record and whether it was better, worse or equal to his peers, that's just not sustainable. If you're almost 10 months into the job and there's still doubts about whether you're the right man for the job then it's only going to go one way, even more so if you have no credit in the bank with the support.

I mentioned last night that he was pretty much undermined from the start with his 'win the league' comment and the subsequent kicking he took in the media, as obvious as it was what he meant; Aberdeen sitting clear at the top of the league at the moment and our hammering of Rangers in the play off is testament to that attitude and thinking as much as it irks the media up here, it's still not a great start if your credibility is totally shot from Day 1.

That said for me what nailed it was when someone posted up our record without Pearson, allied with the fact that 10 months into the job he's still putting a team out that looks like conceding at least one cheap goal per game. If you're that far into the role and still haven't addressed these issues (over reliance on one player, basic defending) then it, correctly, calls into question your suitability for the role.

I think that is it. The way we were losing games was so so pish to watch and when won it was never really that great either (Rangers aside). For me, I was more than willing to let him get his own team together and a full pre season as I thought and hoped it would change the style of play for the better. But it didnt.

Also, probably didnt help that he came in after McCall who played really good attacking football most of the time. Add in to the mix he wasnt the most engaging in front of a camera and there you have it.

There were some games apart from the play off, Towards the end if the season, Kilmarnock , home and away , St Mirren at home and Hamilton at home, when we had good performances and results.In hindsight I think we have missed Pearson and Erwin more than we realise .

It all did seem a bit short term , if his family are down South , hope he gets something sorted