2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Was Moore meant to sign his contract with us or were we hoping to play the compensation game? Not forgetting McDonald wasn't the quickest to re-sign was he?

Possibly, and while I have no idea of figures (of what he is/was on last this season or this, or what we'd be due in compensation), it seems like a dodgy game to try and play. Who did we think was going to sign him, if there was compensation involved?

I don't think we'd be singing from the roof tops if we did play that game but a couple of thousand here or ther if it is obvious someone is interested (this case Ayr)

It is a dangerous game to play, and one club like ours if they play that game should be really careful with especially as players have every right to choose to stay put.

Possibly, and while I have no idea of figures (of what he is/was on last this season or this, or what we'd be due in compensation), it seems like a dodgy game to try and play. Who did we think was going to sign him, if there was compensation involved?

I suspect it was more a case of Moore not quite impressing enough in pre-season, or a case of Blyth becoming available unexpectedly and being seen as a better option. Timing isn't always easy in these situations.

I genuinely think it's far less cloak and dagger than is being suggested.

I'm sure he wouldn't have resigned on the back of a decent season with Ayr if he was getting vibes he wasn't wanted and there was interest elsewhere. It's still my guess he was told you'll get another year, but we'll send you on loan again to see how you perform at a higher level than last season. And if you do really well we'll pull you back after six months and see if you can cut it in the top flight? It's just unfortunate/mixed with a degree of poor planning that we allowed the loan deal to commence when Moult, McDonald and Blyth have all been at less than 100%

Have to say that I'm rather surprised to see Craig Clay get a 2-year deal with yourselves. Our manager obviously thought he wouldn't be able to make it in League 2 as he wasn't offered a contract by us at the end of last season.

He was a bit of a strange one was Clay. When he first came here pre-season a couple of seasons ago he played a few friendlies and he was poor. I mean really awful, so when our manager offered him a contract, our forum went into meltdown, with his signing being pilloried by just about every Mariners fan. However Paul Hurst had obviously seen something in him that the fans didn't as he improved immensley once the season started and put in some excellent perfomance and played a big part in our promotion season last year. He's not a spectacular player but he's steady enough and will always give you 100%.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on with you. How has Richard Tait started the season by the way?

Edited by HARRYHADDOCK

Your summary of Clay is what I have seen so far. Where did he play for yourselves? Sitting midfielder or attacking mid?

Tait has been fine in the 5 or 6 games. Better than our previous right back. However found out a bit against Celtic, albeit against a much better player in Scott Sinclair.

Your summary of Clay is what I have seen so far. Where did he play for yourselves? Sitting midfielder or attacking mid?

Tait has been fine in the 5 or 6 games. Better than our previous right back. However found out a bit against Celtic, albeit against a much better player in Scott Sinclair.

The majority of the games he played for us I'd say he more of a defensive midfielder, breaking up play and allowing fellow midfielder and club captain Craig Disley to get forward, He did score 2 or 3 goals for us and these were long range efforts from outside the area whereas Disley manages to get forward more and usually weighs in with about half a dozen goals per season.

I hope to be proven wrong, as much as everyone was crying out for more midfield options, I just don't think Clay was the player with the attributes we need.

McHugh seems to be the better player and provided us with the defensive capabilities we need.

Tait has played well in some games and Sinclair I rate as perhaps the best player in Scotland. I remember him at Swansea when they were in the Championship and he has roasted many an opposition full back in the EPL, so I'm not sure what people expected of Tait given he was playing non league football last year.

Interesting to see if Clay develops, I hope he does, but we've seen some questionable midfielders in recent times. Jake Taylor being one who still gets me angry.

I actually thought Clay played a decent game today made a good few tackles and actually won the ball most times unlike his aging midfield partner Lasley who is as slow as a week in the jail now and is constantly chasing the game.

Tend to agree. As things stand, I'd be going with a three of Clay, McHugh and Cadden. Lasley would be better used late in games if we're defending a lead and want to try close the game out...
  • Like 1

Not sure what to make of Clay. Over 90 minutes I thought he was largely anonymous but didn't do much wrong. In terms of the type of player he is I'm a bit nonplussed. Not an out and out defensive midfielder but then again certainly not an attacking one. Early doors but not sure what he's going to bring to the team.

Lacklustre

Tired

Wayward passes

Lack of concentration

I reckon this applied to pretty much every player today.

The changes changed nothing, Blyth got no service and basically lumbered about, Thomas was introduced late on and just doesn't seem to have a game plan. Far too lightweight for combat

Don't understand people complaining about Cadden's substitution. He scored a goal from 2 yards and had one shot over the bar and apart from these he contributed absolutely nothing to the game today. I am a fan of Chris but today was the worst performance I remember him having in the first team. Clay I thought was the best of the midfield and our other NEW signings Tait & Heneghan were the best of the rest.

• Like 1

Got to agree with real dosser. Cadden did nothing apart from his tap in. He was caught in possession countless times and was the obvious player to be substituted. For me Clay was better than Lasley and when McHugh is fit it might be time to rest Keith. For me our problems are in midfield where the balance is not right. Too many defensive players and nobody willing to make runs beyond the front players to create chances.

Heneghan continues to impress and after his nightmare at Celtic Tait did well.

Somebody near me remarked that Chalmers looked nervous and lacked confidence. I thought he did alright but when he made a mistake early in the game there were clear murmurings from the East Stand. It seemed as if some people were just waiting on their chance to get on his back. Ask yourself if being negative towards a player helps his performance before shouting abuse. Give the guy a chance.

I thought Marvin tried too hard at times. I hope the transfer speculation is not getting to him.

As for Skippy he is not a lone striker but once again he missed the first part of pre season and just like last season looks off the pace in the first few weeks.

The report on the radio in the car on the way home said the first goal went through Samson's legs and as for the second! Lets see what Brill can do at Ibrox next week.

No Kennedy or Laing in the starting line up yesterday and Lucas on the bench.

Is Laing still injured and is Kennedy completely out the picture now?

Reported that Hibs are trying to sign Shinney from Birmingham. Precisely the kind of player that we are crying out for, but probably way out of our budget, even before the signings of Clay, McHugh, Blyth and Heneghan.

Think we nearly have as many midfielders as arsenal now, if we get anyone it will be Lucas and that will be our business done

And not one attacking midfielder with a hint of pace amongst them. Signing Lasley, Clay, McHugh and Lucas in one summer defies logic. Even more so when our hottest young prospect is a sitting midfielder.