2016/17 Ins & Outs

David

Ross MacLean signs for another year as well. that's squeezed in on the bottom

Does the fact that the other under 20's who have been offered contracts have not yet signed mean that they are looking to leave?

If this is the case then I hope we offered them contracts on time and get a development fee.

Does the fact that the other under 20's who have been offered contracts have not yet signed mean that they are looking to leave?

If this is the case then I hope we offered them contracts on time and get a development fee.

I reckon just not signed 'yet'

I'm sure the club is well aware of when contracts have to be offered. These are just the first three to accept, there will be other factors in when people sign such as holidays and negotiations. If anyone is signing the first offer put to them either we're idiots or they are.

Should really bookmark the 'SPL quality' goalkeeper posts. This board will go tonto when he's required to play with something at stake and not end of the season bounce games. Here's hoping we sign two proper full backs to protect him...

• Like 1

I was a bit suspicious when rumours began to circulate about Dundee showing an interest in el-Bakhtoui - this smacks of an agent trying to stir up a bidding war. 3 re-signings; so far so good. On top of re-signings (assuming all but one re-signs) then I guess we should be looking at 2/3 additional new faces.

• Like 1

Pleased to see Moore sign. He's the type of player that could benefit from a McGhee pre-season. If it wasn't to work out, I imagine he'd get loaned out at end of August. Same applies with Ferguson.

I don't have any time for Samson but he won't be the worst keeper in the league.

Positive noises regarding Skippy, that's the contract we need to get over the line.

If Skippy re-signs then dont expect any more strikers in. I fear we wont be adding too much if every one re-signs but with a 10th place budget, does that leave scope to invest in January?

If he re-signs I'd expect one more striker to arrive. To go with Moult, McDonald and Moore leaves our options a bit light up front.

• Like 1

One year contracts for the youngsters, wtf?

We seem determined to avoid selling players. Or maybe our new club policy is to go cap in hand to other clubs in the development fee lottery.

I think the 1 year contract is more down to both players still having a bit to prove but the club still believing that there is potential there. I would imagine when/if the players establish themselves the club would be quick to offer extensions.

• Like 1

Can't win can we. give players a 1 year contract and it's a wtf. give them 2 /3 year contracts and they don't progress and the comment will be why did we give them an extended contract".

Fine - fuck it - give them all a one year contract and never mind generating transfer income.

Clearly we are rolling in so much dough we can just give up on the idea of selling players.

Great business model, outstanding. In fact, lets just go month to month with the entire squad, that way of someone has a bad game we can bomb them out.

• Like 1

Makes sense to me. A one year deal gives the players in question a chance to prove themselves in and around the senior team, which none of them really have been thus far.

I'm not sure of their ages, but are they not all going to be too old for the U20s this year? None of them have proven that they are ready to step up - seems little point in tying them to a long term contract if we have no guarantee they're going to work for us. The reduced budget means that we have to be a lot more careful in terms of the contracts we offer, and in fairness there are plenty of more sellable assets in the squad before these guys.

So to summarise, please calm down.

• Like 1

Fine - fuck it - give them all a one year contract and never mind generating transfer income.

Clearly we are rolling in so much dough we can just give up on the idea of selling players.

Great business model, outstanding. In fact, lets just go month to month with the entire squad, that way of someone has a bad game we can bomb them out.

Get them all on zero hours contracts and we can just phone sixteen of them on a Friday and tell them they've got a shift the next day.
  • Like 1

You're a fud.

• Like 4

1 yr deals for Moore and Ferguson is exactly right in my eyes. The 2 of them are in the 'last chance' category rather than 'extremely promising and sellable' category such as Thomas, Cadden, Hall etc.

I'll go along with that. They do seem to be in the "last chance" or "jurys still out category". I see that Accies have awarded 2 of their 18 year olds 2 year deals which suggests they rate their lads a bit higher. Craig Moore has been around for a few years, suffered a bad injury but never really made it so far. David Ferguson burst onto the first team scene, albeit through necessity, but hasn't yet made the step up. They now have another year to prove themselves.

In terms of strikers I wouldn't really want to rely on Moore or Faddy (for different reasons) to fill in if say Louis Moult was injured for any length of time.

• Like 1

I thought Moore had been dealt a harsh hand being sent out on loan last season whilst we signed every striker under the sun, but now I think about it, it actually probably benefits us, with him now having a season of playing regularly under his belt. I think he has the potential to be a guy who could grab a goal off the bench. A one year deal is right there.

Reasonably happy with Samson signing on. Not a marquee signing, but he'll be steady enough and I'd fear us ending up with a Gunnar Nielsen type if we kept looking.

As for Ferguson, I thought he looked really out of his depth in his first team outings season before last and hadn't heard rave reviews about his loan spells, but that said, I thought he looked by far our most accomplished player in the youth cup final. Happy to trust McGhee on this one.

Not too fussed about the guy from Dunfermline, not going to try and spell his name! He would have been an exciting signing and the lower leagues is a market we have perhaps been guilty of underusing in the past, but there is no guarantee he would have done the business two divisions up and having him as one of two main strikers could end up badly if he doesn't hit the ground running. Would be far happier to see Skippy sign on, when we know how influential he is to the team.

Edit- meant accomplished defender, not player.

• Like 2

I thought Moore had been dealt a harsh hand being sent out on loan last season whilst we signed every striker under the sun, but now I think about it, it actually probably benefits us, with him now having a season of playing regularly under his belt. I think he has the potential to be a guy who could grab a goal off the bench. A one year deal is right there.

Reasonably happy with Samson signing on. Not a marquee signing, but he'll be steady enough and I'd fear us ending up with a Gunnar Nielsen type if we kept looking.

As for Ferguson, I thought he looked really out of his depth in his first team outings season before last and hadn't heard rave reviews about his loan spells, but that said, I thought he looked by far our most accomplished player in the youth cup final. Happy to trust McGhee on this one.

Not too fussed about the guy from Dunfermline, not going to try and spell his name! He would have been an exciting signing and the lower leagues is a market we have perhaps been guilty of underusing in the past, but there is no guarantee he would have done the business two divisions up and having him as one of two main strikers could end up badly if he doesn't hit the ground running. Would be far happier to see Skippy sign on, when we know how influential he is to the team.

Agree with most of your post Joe. As for David Ferguson, he was hung out to dry by Stuart McCall. Wasn't ready for first team football and played out of position. For that reason I wouldn't be too harsh on him.

Seriously, though, are you actually the lovechild of Milo and MJC?