January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

You've just made this up, eh?

Er no.

I recall the game at Almondvale that Desp referred to but am fairly certain that Reynolds played left back that day not left midfield. We'll agree to differ about that to avoid boring everyone. I don't recall the Raith game.

I found the following quote from the Official website dated 11 January 2011. Stuart McCall said "Young Gavin (Gunning) is a good option, not just to fill the void left by Mark Reynolds but also the fact we had no natural cover for Stevie Hammell. We needed someone who could also fill in at left-back if required; previously, either Reynolds or Marc Fitzpatrick would do that but given both have left, it was important to have someone versatile for that role"

Livi game aside (whether it was left back or left mid) his next start was against Aberdeen in the Aug 06/07 season and he played at centre back alongside Quinn (RB), Craigan (CB) and Paterson (LB). That continued for the majoirty of the season barring injuries and a couple of changes.

The Raith game mentioned he was left back with Kinniburgh, Mensing and McLean making up the rest of the defence.

At this stage in his career and his attributes, for me, he would be signing (for anyone) as a centre back who can cover left back. Not the other way around.

Sorry to all the Lucas haters but looks likely to stay: http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/mcghee-i-hope-to-deal-in-lee-lucas-1-4332417

Personally I am not 100% convinced yet. But he has superb ability and skill in there which has shown in flashes in his 4 starts. So I would be willing to give him a chance to get up to speed with the Scottish game, see if he can remain injury free and give him the chance to show it properly. He could turn out an absolute beaut of a player...or a nearly man like Vigurs and Kerr etc. Impossible to tell in his limited starts so I think it's worth a shot.

Deal to the end of the season confirmed.

Fine with that. We get a further look at him and not tied in long term if he does continue to pick up wee knocks, not kick on once match fit.

Going by a couple of comments on Stranraer's thread on P&B Watt didn't really offer much; "the square root of feck all" springs to mind. As Tonicg says seemed to be on the bench for the most part but I'm fairly sure I remember seeing that he'd managed a few starts.

Edit: seems he made 12 appearances https://twitter.com/stranraerfc/status/817456330403434496

He'd love that - me? not so sure. There was a time once. In fact I'd suggest I was nearly one of the 'original' bois, though we called it the choir in them days - simpler times :wild:

Good days, those, stood on the halfway line separated from the baying hordes by a bit of rickety chicken wire. When Celtic visited "The Sash" would get banged out, and the theory was that when Rangers played we'd all sing "The Soldier's Song". However, comparatively few people seemed to know more than the first line, so it would invariably end up being the more generic "Hello, Hello, How Do You Do" instead.

• Like 1

Jumped onto Pie and Bovril to see if there were details on Thomas's performance today. Looks like it's been a very strong debut which is great to hear. Hopefully it continues and he develops the way we all want him to. Far too early for this comment, but I hope for our sake it's not a case of a player finding his level.

3 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:
Set up the second goal and was awarded MotM on the travel club coaches.
I'm sure the guys at the game will be able to provide further detail.
3 hours ago, Mr X said:
Did really well. Showed a real ability to run with the ball and beat men, something we've been badly missing. Final ball could have been better a couple of times but he played a fantastic pass to Dykes for the 3rd goal.
2 hours ago, NM_1919 said:
Very well. Constant threat maybe over done it a couple of times but first viewing was encouraging
2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
Dom Thomas simply turned and ran at the opposition every time he got the ball. As we were warned, his final delivery is erratic but he got them turned and panicking all day. He had one excellent shot from which we ultimately scored too. Great debut from him.
2 hours ago, spacekid84 said:
Thomas played well, sometimes thought the wingers would have been better suited switching sides but can't really complain.

FWIW: here are the goals from the St Mirren v QoTS game. Thomas seems to have been pretty involved,

Think the main goal for us for this window/rest of the season would be to get contracts extended and keep the vast majority of the squad we have. That makes extending Lionel's contract a priority for me. Without him in the squad we have very few players that are rapidly quick and he also is a match winner. Got the feeling that if McGhee wasn't manager he'd be starting almost every week. Anyway, would like to see Moult and Skippy get extensions too.

If we are looking to bring someone in, we need a Marvin Johnson replacement, a quick, creative left sided midfielder. Also, if Brill isn't getting a chance when Samson is consistently this poor then a new keeper has to be brought in, feel really sorry for Brill. After that I think we would have a very strong team once everyone is fit.

Think a left back and a left sided centre half are more long term targets but hopefully Chalmers can kick on and be the player we need at left back and I'd really like to see Louis Laing get a few chances after his loan is up. Feel that he's much better than Kennedy and I'd rather him than the alternative.

• Like 1

Think the main goal for us for this window/rest of the season would be to get contracts extended and keep the vast majority of the squad we have. That makes extending Lionel's contract a priority for me. Without him in the squad we have very few players that are rapidly quick and he also is a match winner. Got the feeling that if McGhee wasn't manager he'd be starting almost every week. Anyway, would like to see Moult and Skippy get extensions too.

If we are looking to bring someone in, we need a Marvin Johnson replacement, a quick, creative left sided midfielder. Also, if Brill isn't getting a chance when Samson is consistently this poor then a new keeper has to be brought in, feel really sorry for Brill. After that I think we would have a very strong team once everyone is fit.

Think a left back and a left sided centre half are more long term targets but hopefully Chalmers can kick on and be the player we need at left back and I'd really like to see Louis Laing get a few chances after his loan is up. Feel that he's much better than Kennedy and I'd rather him than the alternative.

I agree with all of this! Goalkeeper, and an attacking left mid a priority for me , but agree with everything else said

Inclined to agree with all of this, but I feel that Laing is looked on as a lost cause to McGhee.

I think you're on to plums as far as a contract extension for Ainsworth goes. Not least because Cadden has that side of the park nailed down and I'd think that MacLean will be viewed as being next in line after him.

For what it's worth I like Ainsworth but given he's pushing 30 and you'd think would be one of our higher earners I can't really see a solution; I'd have thought he'd want games rather than being used off the bench as much as he has and I can't imagine he'd be that keen on a wage drop that would reflect a change in squad status, though obviously I could be totally wrong on that. I don't know the guy and in fairness he's on record as saying that he wants to stay.

I'm also not sure it's fair to say he'd be starting almost every week under any other manager than McGhee either. Other than his first season it's largely been an equal(ish) split between him starting and being used off the bench. It's probably fair to say his absences from the starting XI have felt a bit more pointed under McGhee though.

His league appearances are below;

13/14 (McCall)

started - 22

off the bench - 7

unused sub - 4

suspended - 0

not in squad - 0

14/15 (McCall/Baraclough)

started - 19

off the bench - 15

unused sub - 4

suspended - 0

not in squad - 0

15/16 (Baraclough/McGhee)

started - 17

off the bench - 12

unused sub - 6

suspended - 2

not in squad - 1

16/17 (McGhee)

started - 7

off the bench - 11

unused sub - 2

suspended - 0

not in squad - 0

As far as Brill goes, having seen him for the 20s I honestly wouldn't have any more confidence in him than I do in Samson (which isn't much). He looks overweight and has next to no agility. Seriously, have a look at some of the goals he's shipped for the 20s on YouTube it's like he's going down in stages (particularly the 'home' game against Aberdeen). He's obviously had a nightmare injury at ICT but he genuinely looks like someone who has only managed 20 mins of first team football in almost 2 years.

I do agree that a new goalkeeper would be most welcome though.

McGhee's already said he doesn't expect Laing to be back, which has been on the cards for ages tbf and in truth I don't think it'd be a stretch for Kennedy being far behind him out the door especially with Ferguson having shown up reasonably well and Barry Maguire having made the bench this season too.

I'd imagine McDonald will be off to Australia at the end of the season and fair enough if that's what he wants to do. He'll be 34 this year and has been absolutely brilliant for us since he's been back. If Moult's still here after the window closes then it'd certainly be good business if the club can get a 1 year extension done with a view to him moving in the summer.

Edit: Here's that u20s game vs Aberdeen I referenced. Goals at 1:00 and 4:20...

• Like 1

Leaving aside any thoughts on the merits of him signing for us, it's disappointing to hear that a former player who was generally held in high regard during his time with us feels that strongly about not considering a return to us.

Yes, I wonder why he apparently feels so strongly about it?