S Robinson Motherwell Manager

CoF

The guy has chosen to start Blyth and Jules so I've not got much faith in his ability to judge a player.

He only played both through necessity with Injuries, guarantee if we didn't have the likes of Tait and McManus injured during the time Robinson has been here Jules wouldn't have had a look in.

Spoke volumes he brought on Ferguson ahead of Jules yesterday.

Personally I think we should cut Robbo some slack. He didn't sign the players in the summer and although results poor he at least shows passion for the job and not up his own ass like Magoo. I sometimes wonder what fans want. McCall taking pelters in last few days and he led us to 2 x 2nd places, the second season after losing half a team. Being well fan is a rollercoaster and we should all be behind the manager. Altogether now......COMEEEEEEEEE ONNNNNNNN YEEEEEEEE WELLLLLLLL

• Like 6

So eight games out of eleven where we haven't scored from open play or even looked likely to any point.

Our play in the final third is probably the worst I've ever seen.

Agreed about the final third chat.

The flip side to this is he's definitely cut down the number of goals conceded. 12 in 10 games with our strongest two out for most of that.

If you look at the previous 10 it was 26 in 10. Even skipping the 7-2 and 5-1 it's still 20 conceded in 10.

The priority was to stop losing goals. Can't argue that he hasn't made progress there. I just hope he's got the knowledge and ability to get us creating in the final third.

As much as I think Robinson was a cheap option appointment, I don't think he's had time to be judged properly, I don't believe he was given enough time at Oldham either, although he did buy Josh Law which should trigger alarm bells on his judgement.

If we stay up I think he should be given time next season to see who he gets rid of and who he picks up......unless there's any footgolf videos at pre season then he should be sacked immediately!!

Personally, I'll be at ease once I find out his favourite dinosaur. It would be nice if he sent me an email or two as well.

Unless this was a mutual short term deal, he'll be here next season assuming we stay up.

• Like 1

I don't think the length of his contract was announced. Someone on here mentioned 18 months. When he came up to help McGhee he said he had some opportunities lined up in the summer, but I don't know if the full time manager gig changed that or not.

What squad did he have at Oldham? Half a dozen players or something like that?

Getting bodies in, Josh Law included, was a tall order. Pretty much a thankless task.

We've stopped shipping ridiculous amounts of goals despite two and sometimes three of our first pick defenders not being available.

Let's give him the summer to recruit and we'll hopefully see the youth prospects come through as well.

I've made my thoughts on the appointment of Robinson crystal clear further up the discussion and a scrappy 1-0 win at NDP isnt going to change my opinion on that.

However, if he keeps us up, there is no way in the World that he wont be in charge next season. He was given an 18month deal and I can only imagine there would be any sort of break-clause written in there somewhere for the event of relegation.

I can see an influx of Northern Irish under 21 players coming in though...

• Like 1

I'm still unconvinced by S.R. so totally unsure about his appointment?

However, the signing policy for this season was IMO a shambles.

Players well past their prime on longer deals.

Players from lower English divisions drafted straight in without time to adapt? Crazy!

(Similar scenario to my team mate Dekky Weldon RIP who was a talented footballer. However, SBA and Ravenscraig one day to debuting against Celtic within weeks was bad management decisions.)

These players aren't going to impact positively without adapting to the step up in standard and fitness.

Others are just plain not good enough.

However, the shipping out of players that resulted in a shortage when injuries kicked in was suicidial.

I supported M.M. for a long time,but by Fuk he made some cock ups!

Hoping we can eventually string 2 wins in a row against Kilmarnock and stave off relegation.

However, if it was tough this season. Next season is about to get even tougher!

S.R. Prove us all wrong!

However, if he keeps us up, there is no way in the World that he wont be in charge next season. He was given an 18month deal and I can only imagine there would be any sort of break-clause written in there somewhere for the event of relegation.

Exactly, and rightly so, his job is to keep us up, if he achieves 10th place, he's done that.

I've not been impressed with his formation and tactics, but he has had his hand forced by injuries and the amount of deadwood in our squad.

Playing Cadden at right back, and not just playing Moult through the middle with Mcdonald off him is killing us. 3 of the best attacking players in the league, and we've had about 5 shots on goal in the last 6 games.

I'd persevere with Clay. As for Blyth and Bowman we could try the surplus to requirements mandate as we did with Laing. Can add a few others to that list.

Would consider Bowman worth keeping as a squad player and as an option from the bench.

Clay doesn't look better than Campbell, and if Mchugh can move back into midfield could be surplus to requirements.

Ironically Laing is in my opinion the best player mentioned in your post (not a big boast! :lol: )

While Clay doesn't look better than Campbell, Campbell isn't going to play every week - or if he does, he'll no doubt have the inconsistency of youth and we'll need cover.

The bottom line for a club like us is that we can only afford top quality in some of our key positions whereas in others we need to go with "good enough" or a "utility player" and hope some of youngsters can also shine.

What squad did he have at Oldham? Half a dozen players or something like that?

Getting bodies in, Josh Law included, was a tall order. Pretty much a thankless task.

We've stopped shipping ridiculous amounts of goals despite two and sometimes three of our first pick defenders not being available.

Let's give him the summer to recruit and we'll hopefully see the youth prospects come through as well.

Yep, he joined Oldham with 5 contracted players and no money. Had to sign 19 players on frees and was expected to have a coherent squad within 4 weeks. Entered the January transfer window unable to make any more signings due to a transfer embargo.

Robinson's biggest mistake at Oldham was taking the job in the first place. I have no idea if he's a good manager or not but surely that's an exceptional set of circumstances which gives him a free pass. No idea why folk insist on using it as a stick to beat him with.

• Like 2

Our best chance of doing well is to cobble together a decent first 11, hope they don't get injured or suspended, and supplement them with a bench of almost ready youngsters and "can do a job" types. This season we lost mchugh, McManus, Pearson, tait and hammell from the settled first 11 for large periods and as such have been totally shite. Robinson then took over with no scope to change the squad. So I'd say that between oldham and ourselves, Robbinson hasn't had the best circumstances to work with.

He should be in a decent position to know who we need to recruit based on his overall time at the club, rather than someone who doesn't know the league recruiting 10 players over the summer to find out they can't cut it (a la Kampmann).

• Like 2

Personally I think if mchugh never got injured we could have been doing a lot better this season as he is an incredible player IMO and as seen now he was a huge loss, in his absence it was apparent that we needed change in midfield, Lasley lacking the legs, Clay pretty average and Lucas always injured we struggled in there and even when pearo came in and Campbell has only had a handful of games which he's played decent in

• Like 1

Yeah, injuries to Mchugh, Tait and McManus, Pearson and Hammell struggling for fitness and form, Moult being out for a bit, the spate of red cards in December...

A lot of things have conspired to stop us ever getting our best 11 or even a steady 11 on the park.