Scottish Premiership Partick Thistle V Motherwell Sat 8 Apr 15:00

Yabba's Turd

But some of that poses as many questions as answers and brought other problems as a consequence. Why have we got the initial tactics wrong and had to change so early? Why have we had to be bold and gamble making double substitutions so early? Why the hell have we resorted in recent games an utterly awful and ineffective hoofball style?

Good post Andy. I'm still neutral on Stephen Robinson and to be fair he's taken over in difficult circumstances. As far as our tactics are concerned I don't care what they are so long as they work, but they aren't. I can see why he's resorting to hoofball as he doesn't think we've the players to play the ball on the ground but we don't have the players to play hoofball either.

A very poor Accies team are grinding out results. Last minute winners are a tell tale sign that they will fluke it until the end of the season. Our one ray of light is Dundee. Their form is worse than ours and Inverness (they are really bad). Six straight defeats doesn’t make for good reading. However, it’s worth noting that their goal difference is still far superior to ours. I believe Killie and Ross County have enough to avoid the play-off spot. It’s now between us, Inverness, Accies and Dundee. It goes without saying that next weeks game is MASSIVE.

• Like 1

A very poor Accies team are grinding out results. Last minute winners are a tell tale sign that they will fluke it until the end of the season. Our one ray of light is Dundee. Their form is worse than ours and Inverness (they are really bad). Six straight defeats doesn’t make for good reading. However, it’s worth noting that their goal difference is still far superior to ours. I believe Killie and Ross County have enough to avoid the play-off spot. It’s now between us, Inverness, Accies and Dundee. It goes without saying that next weeks game is MASSIVE.

Dundee have scored one goal in open play in the last six games (they got another but it was a penalty). The goal difference isn't enormous (7 goals) all it would take would be a 2-0 win at our end and a 0-2 defeat at theirs and it becomes competitive again, with, say, 3 or 4 games to go.

Inverness are a lot like Accies, they have drawn a huge number of games this season and that is why they are at the bottom. They have drawn 13 out of 32 matches and lost fewer than us so I think it is a mistake to assume we are better than them.

They have drawn 13 out of 32 matches and lost fewer than us so I think it is a mistake to assume we are better than them.

We are certainly no better than them as there is very little to choose between the bottom six sides. On recent form Dundee appear to be on a Hibernian style free fall (long may it continue). Inverness are still in the play-off position mix and I’m sure Foran is amazed that they are not further adrift. I’m expecting a few twists and turns before the end of the season that’s for sure.

Thing is I feel we dominated St Johnstone but lost to defensive mistakes, we had enough chances to beat Rangers but didn't, we had enough chances to beat Hamilton but didn't and yesterday.

Well I felt the team was OK when I saw it. But it was very apparent after 20 minutes it wasn't work and nor was it going to work. So why we plodded on to half time allowing them a couple of chances to get a second and seal the deal was not great. We did improve a bit in the last ten minutes but were still pretty insipid.

Second half we dominated as much as Thistle did the first but our final ball was poor, our positioning in their box was poor and for all we were the dominant force is that we did not look especially like scoring. Thistle still were lively on the break but to be honest that was a risk we had to take in the circumstances.

Saturday coming is probably our biggest game since the play off games. I think if we win that we just about guarantee we won't come 12th and hopefully it would give us a bounce to go and secure 10th or higher.

Said it before hindsight is a great thing after the event as many previos posts have showen. But fair play to the manager he has to make the calls before and during the game. He has changed things when needed not like the last one,ignoring what was happening in front of him. We need Moult back to uss a bit of guile in the box to turn a half chance pass in the box to a goal.We just dont have anyone else to do it the last two games. Robbo seems to get a reaction from the players as well.Second half at Thistle a prime example. Trying out the youngsters to see if they can do a job now rather than affer the spilt,seems ok . Afterthe spilt when games are vital is no the time to put them in the deep end to see if they can handle first team football. Im confident with Moult back we can beat those teams down in the bottom six with us. Three of them will do.

We have had injuries in defence particularly, midfield and up front too. Of course we've had to use inexperienced guys.

All this doomsday forecasting on here absolutely pishes on my chips. Nay-sayers and know it alls.

SUPPORT THE TEAM FOR THE NEXT 6 GAMES, please, that's the most positive and effective thing to do.

Tiresome reading the same moaning again and again

• Like 3

We have had injuries in defence particularly, midfield and up front too. Of course we've had to use inexperienced guys.

All this doomsday forecasting on here absolutely pishes on my chips. Nay-sayers and know it alls.

SUPPORT THE TEAM FOR THE NEXT 6 GAMES, please, that's the most positive and effective thing to do.

Here here, We have had to play a large part if the season without Moult, McManus and McHugh, arguably three of the better players.The time to truly judge Steve Robinson is when he has got his strongest team out, he might not get that luxury tho

Yes, its tiresome to hear the constant moaning, griping and bitching, but I think its completely understandable. We've been served up some of the worst fitba' you're ever likely to see over the course of a season...yes, we've had some bad injuries and yes, we've had some shite luck with refereeing decisions over the course of the season but as fans we've turned up week in, week out and watched players operating at a level that is above their station, we've watched players hide, or look uninterested, we've watched players make the same mistakes on a game by game basis, we've watched managers make baffling decisions, and yet we're still here paying our money every week. I'm not one to actually scream my nut off anymore at the football, but I almost lost the plot watching that 1st half on Saturday...

...I don't like to think that I come across as a a know-it-all (as I certainly don't), but anybody with any sort of basic understanding of fitba' tactics, that watched our match against Accies on Wednesday could see that the 3-4-3 system we deployed, alongside the tactics of launching the ball 50feet in the air from back to front, didn't work. We varied it slightly, by bringing Gordon in for Blyth and while I get the impression that Gordon was supposed to work as a link between the midfield 2 and the 2 up front, it didn't happen, and I'm afraid the kid looked completely out his depth.

Going back to the basics of the 3-4-3, or Saturdays variant of it...Alan Archibald clearly watched us and knew how we'd set-up when he seen the team lines. By playing with 2 wide men and only Doolan through the middle, Motherwell were left with either stretching our 'back 3' right across the width of the park, or having Cadden and Frear pick up their wide-men, and effectively playing as full-backs, we then had 3 defenders picking up their one striker. Archibald compounded things even further by pressing his full-backs right up the park and effectively we were out-numbered in midfield. I seen it after 5minutes, how it took our management team to 45mins before changing it to a standard 4 at the back, beggars belief...and as I say, I nearly lost the plot watching it.

What beggars belief even more, is that we somehow managed to get into the dressing room only 1-0 down, if it had been 4-0 we wouldn't have had any complaints, as we never got out our own half while Thistle had some glaring misses. To give him his due, he did make the necessary change to the formation and we looked a lot more solid in the 2nd half, however we created very little and resorted to thumping the ball at Liam Lindsays napper...something Thistle would have been prepared for, if their manager had watched any of our tactics from the Wednesday night game.

I've said elsewhere that the manager can only piss with the cock he has and its true that some of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves...some of them will just never do, others are hiding though and that gets me more annoyed. A midfield of Clay and Pearson should never be allowed to happen again, there were passages of play in the 1st half where we had the ball and Pearson was genuinely looking for someone to mark him rather than take control as you'd expect from someone with his experience, while Clay just looked like a player that knows this level is too much for him...the long-haired fella for Thistle absolutely strolled it in the 1st half and it should embarrass everyone at the Club that it took until Lasley (a player that I don't have much time for) came on that Thistle were actually put under any pressure...but I'd also say that was down to the change in tactics, rather than just Lasleys inclusion.

I must say, I thought Cadden performed well at right-back, might this be an opportunity to try him there while Tait is out and take the attacking onus off the young guy for a week or two...a change being as good as a rest? However, Jules at left-back was poor in an attacking sense, clumsy and poor decision making, he broke a few of our own attacks down.

Bowman and Skippy toiled, much like they did in the second half against Accies, and no wonder, starved of any decent supply the pair of them will have woke up yesterday battered and bruised.

• Like 5

I am getting tire of hearing this phrase quoted. We must get the finger out or lets prepare for a season in the SPFL 2

We all want the team to do well but to turn a blind eye to the dross being served up is just kidding ourselves. I get tired of hearing how it will all be different next week, we are better than our position, too good to be relegated etc. etc. . Yes we have had injuries but that is why we have a squad. Problem runs deeper than Robinson in that he has inherited one of the worst squads in my time of supporting Motherwell. I will always support the team but I am going to reserve my right to call out poor performances and silly management decisions.

• Like 1

We all want the team to do well but to turn a blind eye to the dross being served up is just kidding ourselves. I get tired of hearing how it will all be different next week, we are better than our position, too good to be relegated etc. etc. . Yes we have had injuries but that is why we have a squad. Problem runs deeper than Robinson in that he has inherited one of the worst squads in my time of supporting Motherwell. I will always support the team but I am going to reserve my right to call out poor performances and silly management decisions.

Fair enough , but if your house was on fire I take it you wouldn't be out there haranguing the fireman while they were still tackling the blaze.

We can only play with the cards we're holding.

Time and a place for everything...

Any hoo Barman, mix me another metaphor please

• Like 2

Fair enough , but if your house was on fire I take it you wouldn't be out there haranguing the fireman while they were still tackling the blaze.

Ha ha. I genuinely hope I am eating a big dollop of humble pie on Saturday and at the end of the season COYW.

I think somewhere there's a point about not haranguing the firemen unless they were the ones who set the fire..?

I looked at Robinson's selection against Ibrox and thought what a bold team, with so many attacking players. However, the selection is only bold when the attacking players are actually tasked with attacking. All the 3 at the back has done for me has suppressed all of Frear's good attributes.

Our tactics seemed to be hoof ball, but Heneghan (who was also atrocious defensively) didn't even seem to look where Bowman or McDonald were and just launched it in the direction he was facing. I thought Mark O'Brien had returned for a while. Clay and Pearson were both rotten, somehow Pearson seems to be holding back in tackles, shots and passes....reluctant to put his foot through the ball? Clay puts a shift in to be fair to him, but for all the work-rate and endeavour, the way he played on Saturday he'd struggle to get a game in the Saturday morning amateurs with me. Many times this season I've thought Lasley performances are visibly showed his age and we should try other options...but of those three he's by far and away front runner for me currently- pity he's banned on Saturday. Lucas also appears to have disappeared (as weird as that sentence sounds). For all the times I've been critical of McManus in the past, I'm desperate for him to come back so we can shove McHugh back into midfield, who I believe to be our best option at centre back and centre midfield just now.

I'm normally rational and reasonable about our performances, but that first half was absolutely woeful and for the first time this season I walked away with the mindset "we'll be lucky not to go down". Hopefully a return of Moult, Tait and McManus helps us get more of a decent side out but I think if we stay up it will definitely be due to other's failings, not our successes.

Clay puts a shift in to be fair to him, but for all the work-rate and endeavour,

I must be seeing things then because when i watch him he's just standing about doing fuck all and if you didn't know better you might think he was trying to stay as far away from the opposition as possible.
He occasionally pops up with a wee Scott Brown plastic hardman impression and then goes back to hiding.

I thought Pearson had looked a bit better against Accies but his performance at Thistle was woeful. He capped it off at one point when Clay had the ball but had nowhere to pass it as Pearson was in front of him but with his back to play.

Pearson was excellent at Ibrox.

Doesn't look to be moving well though, I think he is playing through an injury.