Pre-season 2019/20

Toxteth O'Grady

44 minutes ago, mfc said:

Like the other night,donnolly is defensive midfield,i just hope that's down to a shortage of numbers and not something were thinking about for the coming season.

I've thought he has looked good there. Albeit in a meaningless game v Livi and the pre season friendly.  But I wouldn't rule it out. Certainly looked better there tha  when he got moved back later on v Livi.

18 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

You mean thinking about playing him in a position where he has excelled for Northern Ireland U21s? 

It means nothing what he does for northern Ireland at under 21 level.hes barely had a sniff for us in the position he was brought in originally, he can't pass the ball other than 2 yards sideways and it looks likes he pulling a caravan when he's running,I'd rather play grimshaw at defensive midfield and thats saying something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

It means nothing what he does for northern Ireland at under 21 level.hes barely had a sniff for us in the position he was brought in originally, he can't pass the ball other than 2 yards sideways and it looks likes he pulling a caravan when he's running,I'd rather play grimshaw at defensive midfield and thats saying something.

I'd say it means something what he does for NI U21s. Still a young player, if he has tools to play defensive midfield, should he not play there because he was bought as a defender? By that logic, Carl McHugh should never have played centre half for us, Grimshaw shouldn't be considered for right back and Tom Hateley should have spent his entire Motherwell career in midfield..

Not saying he's the answer, but to dismiss him because he was bought as a defender is ridiculous...

The only thing in Donnelly's favour is that he was in such bad shape for the majority of last season that if he actually sorts out his training/diet it's possible he might get much better.

But having a converted defender in centre mid (again) does not breed optimism.

Its easy too say players can play in different positions but for me mchugh is a centre half full stop,he doesn't have the extra couple of qualities needed to play in midfield,just because he played a lot of times in midfield,it doesn't mean he's a midfielder.grimshaw,I've still not got an idea where his best position is.I liked tom hateley at right back but the only person that thought he could play in midfield was himself.I'm not saying donnolly isnt the answer based on the fact that he hasn't made it as a defender,I'm basing it on the fact that he's shown nothing since he came to the club,personally I don't think he's good enough for this level,i would love to be proved wrong and i would be the first to hold my hands up and say I was wrong but i just don't think he has got it.

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

The only thing in Donnelly's favour is that he was in such bad shape for the majority of last season that if he actually sorts out his training/diet it's possible he might get much better.

But having a converted defender in centre mid (again) does not breed optimism.

I seen him in Nandos in East Kilbride once if anybody wants to start a mob.

He’s not doing full training,  but is making progress in that direction. Burrows said as much. He started running on grass just before the end of last season, and is kicking a ball now, so some progress, but after being out for nearly a year and a half it’s going to take time.

16 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

He’s not doing full training,  but is making progress in that direction. Burrows said as much. He started running on grass just before the end of last season, and is kicking a ball now, so some progress, but after being out for nearly a year and a half it’s going to take time.

So he's  finished with us then. We'll get him sort of fit again and move him on. If he can't do full training after a year and a half  sorry because I always thought he was a better than decent player.

11 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

So he's  finished with us then. We'll get him sort of fit again and move him on. If he can't do full training after a year and a half  sorry because I always thought he was a better than decent player.

I'm not a doctor, but I'd rather an injured player started training when he was medically fit again after 18 months than make him do full training while he was still injured.

(I have no idea if he will make a recovery, but pretty sure he won't make a recovery if we make him train too soon).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DEWELL said:

I take it you have never played football at any level....

You can’t go from 18 months injured to full training straight away. 

Get a grip man. 

• Like 1

Not sure why anything that was said means he’s finished. He seems to be making progress, and the club says he’s close to full training, which only puts him a couple of weeks behind the rest fitness wise.

Whether he gets his form and confidence back, and whether it affects his ability to play at the top level once fully fit, no one on here can possibly know at this point. So to say he’s done strikes me as being negative for no reason.

Im proud to support a club that takes this kind of approach, taking care of a player who was injured on our watch. It is the right thing to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Whether he gets his form and confidence back, and whether it affects his ability to play at the top level once fully fit, no one on here can possibly know at this point. 

You're obviously overlooking the experts that post on here who can make insightful diagnoses based on intuition alone. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

You're obviously overlooking the experts that post on here who can make insightful diagnoses based on intuition alone. 

Says the paranoid manic depressive with paraphilic tendencies who is evidently off his meds at present.

Hey, you're right, this is easy - any idiot can do it! :lol:

35 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

Says the paranoid manic depressive with paraphilic tendencies who is evidently off his meds at present.

Hey, you're right, this is easy - any idiot can do it! :lol:

So close - but I have a 750ml bottle of my meds I'm taking right now!