Jump to content

Cedric Silkyshag

Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Recommended Posts

Woods isn't helped by the fact that he stayed in the first team for a long time, despite being a liability. I.genuinely thought that Gardner was okay until that howler in the cup and then he never played for us again.

Goalkeeper is such an important position, and really a key to a successful team. Rather than concentrate on the negative, I will be positive and say that, in my time as. 'Well supporter, I've been lucky enough to see a few good ones at Fir Park. MacRae, Rennie, Dykstra, Randolph and the two we currently have would probably rank as the best I've seen here. Edit - and how could I forget Maxy! Shame on me!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gardiner is easily the worst keeper I have seen at Fir Park.  He made many howlers long before that Hearts game. Woods was miles better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grumpy said:

I'll never forget John Gardner.

 

And some people used to moan about Stevie Woods....:doh:

I'll never forgive John Gardiner! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just thinking as well, given the OF both have favourable draws it's pretty good for our European chances, what with 4th place the more likely to qualify now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

Just thinking as well, given the OF both have favourable draws it's pretty good for our European chances, what with 4th place the more likely to qualify now.

We wont need the backup option we will take the automatic spot for either 3rd place or cup winners, but as you say 4th place is likely to qualify as well,. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbo reportedly made a comment which I found rather odd after the game.  We all know that the strong wind was going to affect the game and that it was forecast well in advance, correctly as it turned out, to strengthen after 1600 i.e. half time. When St Mirren kicked off facing our end I assumed wrongly that we had won the toss but had deferred to Saints' tradition (?) to kick towards the north end in the second half.  However Robbo explained that he and Keith reckoned that we would play with the wind at our backs in the first half in case the wind died down in the second half. Whatever they are they aren't weather forecasters!

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

We wont need the backup option we will take the automatic spot for either 3rd place or cup winners, but as you say 4th place is likely to qualify as well,. 

I am not too excited about qualifying for Europe. Starting in mid July is not ideal. Our players will get a very short  break and tiredness can set in early in the season.  With so many out of contract in the summer we might struggle to put a decent team on the park so early in the  window. Then there's the possibility of getting a team in the middle  of their season and getting pumped. We all remember Llanelli a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sinjy said:

I am not too excited about qualifying for Europe. Starting in mid July is not ideal. Our players will get a very short  break and tiredness can set in early in the season.  With so many out of contract in the summer we might struggle to put a decent team on the park so early in the  window. Then there's the possibility of getting a team in the middle  of their season and getting pumped. We all remember Llanelli a few years ago. 

I'm not so sure  the first part of that remains the issue it once was now League Cup has been rescheduled to run in July.  We played our first League Cup game on 13th July this season, Aberdeen played their first European game on 11th July.  We were playing friendlies in June.

Your second point is absolutely valid however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sinjy said:

I am not too excited about qualifying for Europe. Starting in mid July is not ideal. Our players will get a very short  break and tiredness can set in early in the season.  With so many out of contract in the summer we might struggle to put a decent team on the park so early in the  window. Then there's the possibility of getting a team in the middle  of their season and getting pumped. We all remember Llanelli a few years ago. 

I bet you are loving this weather just now with that outlook:mellow: .....what's not to like about a European tour, we don't get the chance that often so bring it on I say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

European football raises the profile of the club which has to assist with recruitment. It also allows us to budget with confidence for next season much earlier as we know already we are probably going to finish top 6 and a relegation battle is out of the question. I would imagine we will have most of our business done before this season is over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who couldnt be excited about qualifying for europe? Nancy for the people who were there has to be one of if not THE best experience ever as a well fan. It was fantastic. It was only when mcall started using europe as pre season friendlies that it lost some sparkle and i dont think robinson will treat it like that. If we can remember that if we had beat stjarnan we would have got lech poznan and then stjarnan beat them and got inter milan. I can remember being so annoyed at that time that the possibility of going to san siro was taken away. I know its extremely difficult to reach group stages but if we could do it not only would the finance set us up for many a year but the fan experience would be amazing. If anyone is content to just stay in the league then imo football is not for you. Sorry if thats harsh but dreaming of glory and experiences is what makes it the greatest sport in the world.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sinjy said:

I am not too excited about qualifying for Europe. Starting in mid July is not ideal. Our players will get a very short  break and tiredness can set in early in the season.  With so many out of contract in the summer we might struggle to put a decent team on the park so early in the  window. Then there's the possibility of getting a team in the middle  of their season and getting pumped. We all remember Llanelli a few years ago. 

Llanelli we lost 1-0 and ultimately won the tie where we eventually played Steaua Bucharest so it wasn't all bad. Odense game we really should have got to the group stages, if i recall did we not miss a penalty and an absolute sitter before losing 2-0 at fir park. Jamie Murphy and Nick Blackman if I remember correctly, not sure who missed what.

mental if you don't want a spot in Europe.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Llanelli we lost 1-0 and ultimately won the tie where we eventually played Steaua Bucharest so it wasn't all bad. Odense game we really should have got to the group stages, if i recall did we not miss a penalty and an absolute sitter before losing 2-0 at fir park. Jamie Murphy and Nick Blackman if I remember correctly, not sure who missed what.

mental if you don't want a spot in Europe.

Murphy missed the penalty at 0-1. Pretty sure he hit the post with it. Would have set us up for a rousing finale. Anyone who would prefer the League Cup to that is off their heads. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gaz7 said:

who couldnt be excited about qualifying for europe? Nancy for the people who were there has to be one of if not THE best experience ever as a well fan. It was fantastic. It was only when mcall started using europe as pre season friendlies that it lost some sparkle and i dont think robinson will treat it like that. If we can remember that if we had beat stjarnan we would have got lech poznan and then stjarnan beat them and got inter milan. I can remember being so annoyed at that time that the possibility of going to san siro was taken away. I know its extremely difficult to reach group stages but if we could do it not only would the finance set us up for many a year but the fan experience would be amazing. If anyone is content to just stay in the league then imo football is not for you. Sorry if thats harsh but dreaming of glory and experiences is what makes it the greatest sport in the world.

I was in Nancy and as you say it was a great experience. But it was new as we hadn't qualified for ages. I agree it lost its sparkle. I am a that bit older now and probably wouldn't travel away. It may well be exciting for younger fans and those who were too young in those days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sinjy said:

I was in Nancy and as you say it was a great experience. But it was new as we hadn't qualified for ages. I agree it lost its sparkle. I am a that bit older now and probably wouldn't travel away. It may well be exciting for younger fans and those who were too young in those days.

These days I think we're also all more aware that most of our European jaunts have ended up costing us money... you really do need to progress further than we usually do to benefit financially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we not get a larger UEFA handout at the end of the tournament when we participated vs. when we don't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuinely unsure why people bother supporting Motherwell if they're turning their nose up at European football because of the financial implications.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Genuinely unsure why people bother supporting Motherwell if they're turning their nose up at European football because of the financial implications.

Not turning my nose up at it -- would absolutely love us to qualify again. But last time we did I also wasn't part-owner of the club with so much of an interest in how my monthly contributions were being spent ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the 2018/19 Europa League the solidarity payments  for the qualifying phase were:

Quote

• preliminary round – €220,000
• first qualifying round – €240,000
• second qualifying round – €260,000
• third qualifying round – €280,000
• play-offs – €300,000 (eliminated clubs only).

 

Should make money from that even with a prelim round defeat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, numpty said:

These days I think we're also all more aware that most of our European jaunts have ended up costing us money... you really do need to progress further than we usually do to benefit financially.

There is no way they actually cost us money. That was just Dempster talking shite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I'll never forgive John Gardiner! :P

I almost said that, but decided it was a bit harsh :ph34r:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×