Jump to content

David

2020/21 Transfer Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Ye hope Long signs new deal.    Also can you imagine if him and skippy played alongside each other?......Carlsberg dont do crabbit forward lines..........but if they did 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

This is now being discussed on a rangers forum according to someone in my group chat. 

Just went for a nosey there, fair bit of discussion on it. I think our board get it spot on about 99% of the time, would be very surprised if there was some sort of DT-related option/term/condition attached to a loan that could be cut short at Christmas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

Agree with the above, definitely a player there. one on one I was always confident he would score. I loved that 2nd goal away to Dundee.

in fact, that was just a cracking day out.

The 2nd goal at dundee was my favourite from last season,it was just great play all round.i would like long to stay,you could see as the season was progressing that he was improving all the time and his pace was always a threat,if we can keep him or sign someone similar then giving all the uncertainty thats been going on,we will find ourselves in pretty good shape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started off pretty unimpressed with Long, he seemed unable to control the ball half the time and thought he would end up drifting out of the squad at some stage. However he really did show a marked improvement as the season progressed and I would love to see him stay now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ropy said:

We welcomed Pearson back and can get behind Jake.  When was the last time we had a couple of Jakies in the squad?

Mario Dorner and Franz Resch

 

 

Allegedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that we will ever see those details, but Id love to know the conditions of this loan. What we are paying him and what playing guarantees he has.

Absolutely gutted weve signed this fucking ridiculous deal, so if he is shite, were stuck with him for the season. But if he is excellent Rangers can take one of our best players in January to sell him on. Plus he is unavailable for all Rangers games, so that is 4-6 games we are going into with a man down. 

The wee cunt took the blue sheckels and left to deny Celtic 9 in a row playing for his boyhood heroes and the only team he ever wanted to play for, as far as Im concerned he should be denying Celtic 10 in a row washing the boots at Murray Park.

Our squad is going to be small enough next season without starting 10% of the games with 1 man missing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Not that we will ever see those details, but Id love to know the conditions of this loan. What we are paying him and what playing guarantees he has.

Absolutely gutted weve signed this fucking ridiculous deal, so if he is shite, were stuck with him for the season. But if he is excellent Rangers can take one of our best players in January to sell him on. Plus he is unavailable for all Rangers games, so that is 4-6 games we are going into with a man down. 

The wee cunt took the blue sheckels and left to deny Celtic 9 in a row playing for his boyhood heroes and the only team he ever wanted to play for, as far as Im concerned he should be denying Celtic 10 in a row washing the boots at Murray Park.

Our squad is going to be small enough next season without starting 10% of the games with 1 man missing

C’mon Shaka, take the claret and amber specs off. Most of Scotland is either of the green or blue persuasion. Hastie won’t be our only Rangers fan in the team. Simple fact is he left Motherwell for a lot more money than we could pay plus we got a large development fee into the bargain. The games against Rangers and Celtic are bonus games in terms of points. Hastie can play against all our realistic competitors. He is better than what we have, has a great relationship with Turnbull, can score goals and has a point to prove. I can’t see many negatives. Nobody knows how to get the best out of him better than Motherwell! Get down if your high horse and support the team and whoever pulls on the jersey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shaka said:

Not that we will ever see those details, but Id love to know the conditions of this loan. What we are paying him and what playing guarantees he has.

Absolutely gutted weve signed this fucking ridiculous deal, so if he is shite, were stuck with him for the season.

So you don't know the details of the deal, but you think it's ridiculous.

I would be surprised if the loan isn't anything other than a standard deal. We pay a percentage of his wage and he doesn't play against the loan team. As I've said many times, I'm 100% against loans to teams in the same division, but it is what it is.  "Playing guarantees" are just fantasy that people like to spout on the internet.

Rotherham cut short his loan deal last season, so I don't see why we couldn't do the same if needed.

He's back now, and has coaches that know him - so I'd rather he developed and did a jib than failed so we can say "telt ye". Time will tell.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dinnae-punt-it said:

C’mon Shaka, take the claret and amber specs off. Most of Scotland is either of the green or blue persuasion. Hastie won’t be our only Rangers fan in the team. Simple fact is he left Motherwell for a lot more money than we could pay plus we got a large development fee into the bargain. The games against Rangers and Celtic are bonus games in terms of points. Hastie can play against all our realistic competitors. He is better than what we have, has a great relationship with Turnbull, can score goals and has a point to prove. I can’t see many negatives. Nobody knows how to get the best out of him better than Motherwell! Get down if your high horse and support the team and whoever pulls on the jersey. 

Firstly I dont care who he supports. And secondly that attitude of "Rangers & Celtic games are just a bonus" is exactly the reason evedy other team in the spl have beaten the old firm but us in the last 5-10 years. We are running a small squad anyway, to deliberately make it 1 man less in some games is mental! And cup games are the best chances we have of beating Rangers, now if we do draw them they know we are a man down before we even kick off. 

I dont blame him for leaving, Ive said plenty times I felt we as a club fucked up with him. But at the end of the day he played a handful of games for us, couldnt sign for his "boyhood heroes" fast enough knowing never in a million years he would ever play for them, then downed tools with us as soon as he got his deal. For that, as far as Im concerned he can rot in their reserves and sign for Falkirk or Carlisle  in 3 years time to rebuild his career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, weeyin said:

So you don't know the details of the deal, but you think it's ridiculous.

I would be surprised if the loan isn't anything other than a standard deal. We pay a percentage of his wage and he doesn't play against the loan team. As I've said many times, I'm 100% against loans to teams in the same division, but it is what it is.  "Playing guarantees" are just fantasy that people like to spout on the internet.

Rotherham cut short his loan deal last season, so I don't see why we couldn't do the same if needed.

He's back now, and has coaches that know him - so I'd rather he developed and did a jib than failed so we can say "telt ye". Time will tell.

I think its ridiculous because weve signed a deal where one of our key players is only available when Rangers allow it. Lets be honest here, Seedorf & Hylton are both pish so Hastie is being signed to be an integral part of our team, and now anytime we play Rangers in the league, and if we draw them in the cup (our only chance of any success during the season. And any successful cup run will most likely bring a match v Rangers) we automatically lose an integral part of the team  before a ball is kicked. For a club with a small budget and smaller playing squad that is absolutely mental

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some talking of needing wingers as Hylton and Seedorf aren't good enough, personally I'm still hopeful Hylton can contribute.

Do any the guys who have seen Harry Robinson know if he will be a good option on the wing or does he look like another fringe player?

Apologies if this ends with another nepotism discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

This is now being discussed on a rangers forum according to someone in my group chat. 

:lol: given I made it up I'm either some sort of Nostradamus or I've got Rangers' fanbase on strings.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will Jake be giving his primary employers inside info before the two teams meet, if asked ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The January recall clause is pretty standard, and something we tend to do with the players we loan out, makes plenty of sense.  

I don’t like how his move from us came about,  but I’m also not deluded enough to think players owe us anything or that they don’t support other teams. I’m not a football player, but if I was offered multiples of my current wage to do the same job somewhere else, I’m taking that.

The reason I’m not particularly enthused by this move is that he was pretty poor towards the end for us and hasn’t done anything since his move, so there’s a concern he’s been found out. But he’s still young and if he can recreate his purple patch, even for a short period, he could be a good signing, so he will get the same benefit of the doubt as any other signing.

During this period of global weirdness, bringing in someone who has only been away from the club for a year since he was a wean, who has a good relationship with our other youngsters, may actually be beneficial. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also worth remembering that the manager has seen fit to bring him back. You'd think we'd been forced to take him with some of the patter on here. Shite being spun about how many games he has to play. Absolute nonsense made up on the internet.

It's a no-lose situation for us. We've basically got a player back that we've already been paid a fee for. If anything it's the Rangers fans who should be asking questions, not us.

Hopefully he does well and manages to forge that relationship with Turnbull again, nab a few goals, get us some points.

If he doesn't, we'll send him back to Rangers and he'll be their problem again. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaka said:

Firstly I dont care who he supports. And secondly that attitude of "Rangers & Celtic games are just a bonus" is exactly the reason evedy other team in the spl have beaten the old firm but us in the last 5-10 years. We are running a small squad anyway, to deliberately make it 1 man less in some games is mental! And cup games are the best chances we have of beating Rangers, now if we do draw them they know we are a man down before we even kick off. 

I dont blame him for leaving, Ive said plenty times I felt we as a club fucked up with him. But at the end of the day he played a handful of games for us, couldnt sign for his "boyhood heroes" fast enough knowing never in a million years he would ever play for them, then downed tools with us as soon as he got his deal. For that, as far as Im concerned he can rot in their reserves and sign for Falkirk or Carlisle  in 3 years time to rebuild his career

I think you’re been slightly harsh, he’s a player the management team know and will still be available for plenty of games, if he does end up a key player then he’s been doing a job in those other games. We will only be playing a part of his wages and if he impresses so much that he goes back in January we get a cut of any transfer fee should he move on from Rangers. For what it’s worth I don’t see him ever been a Rangers regular so who knows he may actually sign a permanent deal with us at some stage if things go well. Regarding the move to Rangers I think the club played a blinder, they obviously knew giving a long term deal too early was a risk based on a few first team appearances after less than spectacular loan moves and if we did indeed receive 400k it’s actually more than he’s worth in my view. I personally have my reservations about his attitude but time will tell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no problems with him.being back and if he reproduces his early form then happy days.  I know some fans aren't happy but at end of day he will be wearing well top for the time being and giving him pelters isn't going to help anyone.  Yes he could have handle things better but he's a young lad and  I am sure we all done daft things when younger,  I mean look at me....i told honking jokes when i was younger and now look at me.........hmmmmmmmm ....COYW

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, 0Neils40yarder said:

Which young player would you like us to start wide on the right?

Dean Cornelius (looked good in last pre season in Belfast) Cole Starrs, Ross  McIver .or maybe bring up another Rotherham bench warmer. If Hastie does play well i'll also be quite happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yes he could have handle things better but he's a young lad and  I am sure we all done daft things when younger, 

If all else fails we can just blame his nasty, evil agent for tricking the lad into signing for Rangers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being the nosey bugger I am I noticed Motherwell trending on Twitter. Some good entertainment to be had watching our fans fight amongst themselves, fight with Rangers fans, be belittled by both Rangers and Celtic fans and belittle Rangers and Celtic fans.  Nothing different to any other day I hear you say. 

One tweet did stick out though as regards the mention way earlier about Shane Ferguson. Stellar club we are and all but we surely don't have English Championship players, with the rewards which that playing in that league can bring, threatening to go on strike to join us do we?

fergusontweet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

Dean Cornelius (looked good in last pre season in Belfast) Cole Starrs, Ross  McIver .or maybe bring up another Rotherham bench warmer. If Hastie does play well i'll also be quite happy.

Dean Cornelius is a central midfielder and Cole Starts has been released you do realise that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So on a less divisive note... what's our best XI as it stands:

Gk: Carson

Lb: Carroll 

Cd1: Gallagher 

Cd2: McGinchely (sp?)

Rb: Grimshaw 

Mf1: Turnbull 

Mf2: Campbell

Mf3: Donnelly 

Fw1: Hastie 

Fw2: Watt

Fw3: Hylton 

Leaving a bench of:

Fox

Lamie

Polworth 

O'hara 

White

Seedorf 

MacIver

 

I cant see us starting the season with all those options in midfield so I'm assuming someone is going. Donnelly or Turnbull pr both possibly.  Probably during the window when the Championship down south is finished.

 

But that's on nothing more than guesswork. I've not got a source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

Dean Cornelius (looked good in last pre season in Belfast) Cole Starrs, Ross  McIver .or maybe bring up another Rotherham bench warmer. If Hastie does play well i'll also be quite happy.

Dean is more central, Maciver will get his chance, Starrs is a bit away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway, Hastie back...who'd have called that?

 

Not ideal, given the circumstance of his departure and hes not played much in the last 12 months, but even with his boots on the wrong feet and a covid-mask over his eyes, hes still better than Seedorf, so it's a positive footballing move...I think its lucky for him though that there will be no fans in the ground for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×