Jump to content

SteelmaninOZ

Happy birthday to a Well legend

Recommended Posts

Halls of Fame need a supply of legends to be voted in each year. Bobby Graham was one of my favourite players too, but it's a little unfair to say Wullie P would be nothing without him. He was the highest scorer in the SPL twice. Once when Graham was at the club and once after Graham left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jumbomuir said:

Would have been a nobody if it hadn't been for Bobby Graham, how he never got nominated I'll never known. 

Tad harsh Jumbo,  yes Bobby Graham was great but willie was great on his own.  Started going to well games in 1977 as a five year old and Willie my first hero 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS how do you talk about folk that arent your friends then. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jumbomuir said:

Started watching him at Dalziel Hs and have been a friend of his for nearly 50 years, he knows my opinion. 

Who needs enemies eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Cheers Wullie, some fantastic goals and assists by Bobby Graham in the clip!!!! 

Are you Willie Pettigrew's bitter ex burd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wullie P was my first Motherwell hero. Bobby Graham certainly complimented him perfectly, but to suggest Wullie was nothing without him is miles out. So lucky to have him and Joe Wark in such a talented team. Obviously Wullie left and I developed a hugr respect for Joe, his consistency and his loyalty. Oh for such riches today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willie Pettigrew was a significant part of my childhood as the goal scoring hero in the team I followed. Growing up in Edinburgh where myself and my Dad were the only ' well fans in the area, his exploits helped justify my loyalty. My brother showed no such fôrtitude and succumbed to the lure of his wee pals and has been a Hibs fan ever since. Seeing that youtube footage again just confirms a couple of things. We had a seriously decent and talented side back then, and Rangers, cheating the hell out of us in two of the featured games, are the complete shite stained bastard offspring of Satan.  Some of the skill and touch displayed by Willie P and his teammates, on pitches which make you wonder if teams even employed groundsmen, are fantastic. From that era, my favourite players were Willie P, Joe Wark, Bobby Watson, Peter Miller, Bobby Graham, Peter Marinello and Ian Taylor ( plus a special mention for Stewart Rennie who worked with my Dad). How we never won anything with the talent available is a mystery until you take into account the antics of the scum from Ibrox. Seriously though, happy birthday Willie P and thanks for the memories.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jumbomuir said:

Started watching him at Dalziel Hs and have been a friend of his for nearly 50 years, he knows my opinion. 

Having played against him a few times for Wishaw HS against Dalziel where he scored a hattrick every time, I presume you are being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Bobby Graham was magic too right enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

Having played against him a few times for Wishaw HS against Dalziel where he scored a hattrick every time, I presume you are being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Bobby Graham was magic too right enough.

At last somebody who gets it, but still think Bobby was the glue that brought the forward line together, just had a brilliant football brain as was and still is a nice guy. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jumbomuir said:

At last somebody who gets it, but still think Bobby was the glue that brought the forward line together, just had a brilliant football brain as was and still is a nice guy. 

Bobby Graham was a player I hardly noticed during games. It was only when we scored a goal or after we won that I realised  how valuable he was and had a great football brain. He made others tick. He'd ghost about during games pulling the strings.

On another tack your namesake was one of my favourite players. Not the best footballer in the world but wholehearted and a real asset to the team. My abiding memory of him was the photo of him holding his arms aloft after we beat Spurs in the Texaco Cup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Bobby Graham was a player I hardly noticed during games. It was only when we scored a goal or after we won that I realised  how valuable he was and had a great football brain. He made others tick. He'd ghost about during games pulling the strings.

On another tack your namesake was one of my favourite players. Not the best footballer in the world but wholehearted and a real asset to the team. My abiding memory of him was the photo of him holding his arms aloft after we beat Spurs in the Texaco Cup.

 

What a night that was!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Winning by Name said:

What a night that was!

My 1st ever game at Fir Park, my uncle lifted me over the turnstyles and sent me down the front of the Knowetop Ave terracing, saw nothing , but that was me hooked.

I actually met Martin Peters at White Hart Lane about 20 years ago as we had hospitality for a game, and reminded him of the score that night, he remembered the game, saying they did not expect to lose. Hard to believe its nearly 50 years ago in a few weeks, makes me feel old.:nod:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic Scotland kit. Classic Wales kit. Classic Hampden.

Classic Wullie P.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Classic Scotland kit. Classic Wales kit. Classic Hampden.

Classic Wullie P.

 

Classic clip weeyin 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always argued that a great striker needed 3 things going for him, firstly a natural ability to know where the gaols were and what he is going to do with the ball when he got it - WP had that in abundance.
Secondly a player with a good footballing brain to play the passes that he wants to give him the opportunity to get into a scoring position - BG was outstanding as that type of player. 
Thirdly both players need to have a natural understanding of each other and know what the other was going to do -  WP/BG was that partnership and one of the best - if not the best I’ve seen at FP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 1:13 PM, weeyin said:

Classic Scotland kit. Classic Wales kit. Classic Hampden.

Classic Wullie P.

 

Ach, he was nothing without Archie Gemmill.

 

:whistling:

 

PS thanks for the clip, back to when internationals actually were to be enjoyed and not endured.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, grumpy said:

PS thanks for the clip, back to when internationals actually were to be enjoyed and not endured.

Not only that, but despite basically being friendlies, they were still competitive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 4:34 PM, Stuwell2 said:

I’ve always argued that a great striker needed 3 things going for him, firstly a natural ability to know where the gaols were and what he is going to do with the ball when he got it - WP had that in abundance.
Secondly a player with a good footballing brain to play the passes that he wants to give him the opportunity to get into a scoring position - BG was outstanding as that type of player. 
Thirdly both players need to have a natural understanding of each other and know what the other was going to do -  WP/BG was that partnership and one of the best - if not the best I’ve seen at FP. 

I don't think there has been a pairing that has come remotely close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×