2021/2022 Rebuild

Neilwell86

On the topic of where the SPFL is in comparison with League One or Two down south, I once had a wee chat pre season with Ian Baraclough. I asked him where he thought we’d be if we were in the English leagues. His answer was along the lines of, “standard, mid to lower League One… budget, mid League Two”. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Gadgey said:

Then you’re deluded

OK then, the SFA and the FA make it easy for you to grasp the concept,  so premiership is better than championship, which is better than league 1, which is better than league 2 etc etc, take 5 mins and get your head round it.

There is a bigger gap between the teams in the SPL to anything in league one or two so it’s not a blanket comparison. In the SPL we have two Championship level teams and the others are anything from midtable league one to the top of league two.  The average Motherwell team is no higher than league one.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

On the topic of where the SPFL is in comparison with League One or Two down south, I once had a wee chat pre season with Ian Baraclough. I asked him where he thought we’d be if we were in the English leagues. His answer was along the lines of, “standard, mid to lower League One… budget, mid League Two”. 

Makes sense. We can probably out-compete some of the equivalent budgets in England because we offer the chance to compete in national cup finals and the chance to play in front of 50/60 thousand a few times a season but I imagine the main reason is the exposure through our TV coverage. For an ambitious young player it's not a bad league to move to. 

1 hour ago, ohwulliewullie said:

I would agree with that …. though probably a smaller budget now

38 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

There is a bigger gap between the teams in the SPL to anything in league one or two so it’s not a blanket comparison. In the SPL we have two Championship level teams and the others are anything from midtable league one to the top of league two.  The average Motherwell team is no higher than league one.

Bollocks, the Old Firm would be top 6 EPL easily....!!!

Well, so their fans keep telling us...!!

11 minutes ago, CoF said:

Makes sense. We can probably out-compete some of the equivalent budgets in England because we offer the chance to compete in national cup finals and the chance to play in front of 50/60 thousand a few times a season but I imagine the main reason is the exposure through our TV coverage. For an ambitious young player it's not a bad league to move to. 

In a nutshell 

58 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

OK then, the SFA and the FA make it easy for you to grasp the concept,  so premiership is better than championship, which is better than league 1, which is better than league 2 etc etc, take 5 mins and get your head round it.

LOL and England are going to win the Euros

14 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Don’t kill the moment for me, it’s coming home.

jesus christ please please please                no no no  a couldnt listen to another 50 years of shite    no offence     but GTTF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, smiddy said:

jesus christ please please please                no no no  a couldnt listen to another 50 years of shite    no offence     but GTTF

It was a very tongue in cheek comment smiddy, even I get sick of the hype after a decent result.

3 hours ago, ohwulliewullie said:

The comments of a man who, whilst a nice guy and won the playoff, was largely hopeless. Pinch of salt required 

2 minutes ago, Kmac said:

The comments of a man who, whilst a nice guy and won the playoff, was largely hopeless. Pinch of salt required 

A man who has made a career out of the game. You are a greater authority because……

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Bobby you just beat me to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Would be. Also be the end for Trevor Carson with us, surely.

I seen carson could be going back to hartlepool,I'm sure he will be one of our highest earners and him moving on probably gives us a chance of getting kelly back permanently.i really hope we can pull this one off as we seen last season just how good he is and i would go as far as saying he could be the scotland number one in the not so distant future.

• Like 1

Liam Kelly signing for us permanently would be a bit of a coup, but the cynic in me thinks that this story is possibly bait from his agent to attract bigger fish.

And I will also say that Trevor Carson, for us, has been class in every sense of the word. Quality both on and off the pitch and the model professional. If he is about to depart then I wish him nothing but the best. He has had dreadful luck with illness andinjuries and, as such, never got the life changing move that his performances deserved.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

image.thumb.jpeg.8040122bffdb304fba4fe2e7e6bffa2e.jpeg

Still going with this one?

To be fair to Baraclough, his signing record wasn’t too shabby. Yes, there’s the Tony Strakers and Wes Fletcher’s of this world but there were also the Louis Moult, George Long, Conor Ripley and Big Marv’s amongst others who have all gone on to be a success at either Fir Park or in League 1 and Championship.

• David locked this topic