Jump to content

GazzyB

International Players Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Motherwell Daft said:

Absolutely delighted that Liam Kelly n SOD are in the squad, would love Liam to get his first cap but what’s the bet if he does the Daily Ranger n other media parts label Him as “former Rangers goalkeeper”???

Did he ever actually play a match for them? 
 

It’s unlikely that the media would label him as that but even if they did it’s a pretty daft thing to get annoyed about surely?

Incidentally I’m sure I heard Ian Crocker refer to SO’D as “the former Kilmarnock player” during the recent Austria v Scotland game on SKY but I didn’t let it get to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

Did he ever actually play a match for them? 
 

It’s unlikely that the media would label him as that but even if they did it’s a pretty daft thing to get annoyed about surely?

Incidentally I’m sure I heard Ian Crocker refer to SO’D as “the former Kilmarnock player” during the recent Austria v Scotland game on SKY but I didn’t let it get to me.

Whether he played for the blue uglies or not is irrelevant to the West of Scotland media, all they need is any connection to the blue or green side however random or obscure, if he had worked in one of the pie stalls it would be "Former Rangers catering worker makes it to the Scotland squad "

As long as the ugly sisters get a mention in some way to attract the hordes who follow them, the alleged journalists who write the pish are happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't blame the journos - they have to write what the editor/owners tell them to write.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Whether he played for the blue uglies or not is irrelevant to the West of Scotland media, all they need is any connection to the blue or green side however random or obscure, if he had worked in one of the pie stalls it would be "Former Rangers catering worker makes it to the Scotland squad "

As long as the ugly sisters get a mention in some way to attract the hordes who follow them, the alleged journalists who write the pish are happy.

I think that’s just down to laziness on the part of the journalist/commentator to be honest. They don’t have much/any information on the player or anything useful or interesting to say so throw in “ex Rangers/Celtic” where that option is open to them.

However as I said they also do this with other players and it’s not uncommon to hear John McGinn referred to as “former Hibs player” on occasion when playing for Scotland. As usual though folk get up in arms when one of the Old Firm are mentioned as the previous club of a particular player, even in hypothetical cases like with Kelly who hasn’t even played for Scotland yet.

In his case I genuinely don’t believe that if/when that happens that he will be widely referred to as “the former Rangers goalkeeper” in the media.

Edit: I don’t remember Gallagher ever being referred to as “ex Celtic player” by the media during his time with us or when he was called up by Scotland, even though he was as much of an ex Celtic player as Kelly was ex Rangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I don't blame the journos - they have to write what the editor/owners tell them to write.

Sadly, that is 100% true. One of my former work colleagues was the father of a Glasgow Herald sports journo who quit his job to write books because he was fed up with his stories being spiked due to an imbalance of blue ugly / green ugly stories for that edition and being told to find a story to balance things up. If that was the Herald, I hate to think what the red tops were like. :wallbash:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Clark in better form and playing more regularly than Liam Kelly?

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7771971/rangers-jon-mclaughlin-scotland-zander-clark-farcical-snp-newlands/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I dont see Zander Clark every week so impossible to say. But by the same token, the elected member doesnt see Liam Kelly every week. He would have a point if he simply directed his fire at McLaughlin as he isnt playing every week for Rangers. But to say Clark isnt getting selected for Scotland because he plays for a provincial club is laughable given who Kelly plays for.  Overall though its just a pish story from The Sun to fill pages by trawling Twitter to find anything remotely contraversial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By all accounts Zander Clark had a great season last year and he made a few cracking saves against us a few months back but he's someone that I've never been 100% convinced by, I remember him slicing an easy cross right on the head of Scott McDonald and a poor attempt to save a shot from Manzinga amongst many other moments against other sides in the league. 

I know Marshall has dropped right out of the first team scene at Derby, you would think he might have been up for selection seeing McLaughlin rarely played for his team last year and was still in the squad. Delighted for Kelly tbh as it shows what having a great shot stopper does for your side. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the guy that tweeted "Utterly farcical decision. Not only is @Zanderr1 a better keeper than both Kelly & McLaughlin, he's playing regularly & in top form which u can't say about Liam & Jon. How are clubs like St Johnstone supposed to keep our best players if they must move to get Scotland recognition?”

So he's claiming that Kelly doesn't play regularly and isn't in top form? And completely misses the point that he moved TO Scotland to get international recognition?

He sounds like an eejit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Is this the guy that tweeted "Utterly farcical decision. Not only is @Zanderr1 a better keeper than both Kelly & McLaughlin, he's playing regularly & in top form which u can't say about Liam & Jon. How are clubs like St Johnstone supposed to keep our best players if they must move to get Scotland recognition?”

So he's claiming that Kelly doesn't play regularly and isn't in top form? And completely misses the point that he moved TO Scotland to get international recognition?

He sounds like an eejit.

Its an article entirely manufactured round that  tweet by The Sun. 

They dont appear to interview anyone or do any actual journalism anymore.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I dont see Zander Clark every week so impossible to say. But by the same token, the elected member doesnt see Liam Kelly every week. He would have a point if he simply directed his fire at McLaughlin as he isnt playing every week for Rangers. But to say Clark isnt getting selected for Scotland because he plays for a provincial club is laughable given who Kelly plays for.  Overall though its just a pish story from The Sun to fill pages by trawling Twitter to find anything remotely contraversial.

My thoughts exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Its an article entirely manufactured round that  tweet by The Sun. 

They dont appear to interview anyone or do any actual journalism anymore.....

They're not the only culprits. I got that from The Scotsman, and there was another article yesterday in there claiming Kelly's form had been erratic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without wanting to drag politics into the equation, the cynic in me was thinking it was very simply a means to wind pro-Union Rangers fans by highlight a comment from a pro-Independence MP......wouldn't be like The Sun to do something like that though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Without wanting to drag politics into the equation, the cynic in me was thinking it was very simply a means to wind pro-Union Rangers fans by highlight a comment from a pro-Independence MP......wouldn't be like The Sun to do something like that though.

Didn't need to include Kelly in his tweet, then. Would have worked perfectly fine with just McLaughlin. (And I read it here, not in The Sun). Including Kelly made him sound as out of touch as most politicians when they jump on the footballing bandwagon.

2021-07-09T144722Z_1821515950_RC22HO92ZF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, weeyin said:

They're not the only culprits. I got that from The Scotsman, and there was another article yesterday in there claiming Kelly's form had been erratic.

Agreed. I just quoted the Sun as the OP used them as a link to the story.  Very little decent journalism around these days. Particularly in the tabloids.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

O’Donnell on the bench, Twitter appears to be delighted :(

No surprise after his performance at Tynecastle 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Yodo said:

No surprise after his performance at Tynecastle 

Patterson didn't make an appearance at Dens and wasn't exactly stellar in the Hibs game.

Clarke usually tweaks his formation with specific game plans in mind, however, and I'd guess he is expecting to be on the front foot for this one. In which case Patterson makes sense as he is good going forward - not so good defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job from Patterson there to keep the ball alive instead of clearing it, leading up to that goal. (Did I mention he was poor at defending?)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patterson has been rancid to say the least. 

Quality finish by McGinn but they go up the pitch and score immediately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BBC reports "Nathan Patterson shows why he has started ahead of Stephen O'Donnell as he bursts down the wing and his cut-back finds Che Adams,"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure I heard   Richard Gordon pre-match on Radio Shortbread  saying Zander Clark should maybe  be disappointed to be dropped and Liam Kelly retained in the squad. Nothing against Hairy Zander at all but  maybe we should allow Richard and Willie Miller to nominate Aberdeen  players more worthy of international duty? D'oh! Joe Lewis is English who poops his pants at Fir Park...

Problem solved:  select  Jon McLaughlin as number 2 behind Craig Gordon. Keeps Hens listeners happy and listening figures up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fwiw Clarke was probably protecting O'Donnell by not playing him at Hampden because a sizeable number of 'fans' would have been quick to get at him and blame him for everything that went wrong. Much the same as some of the fans on this forum even when he's playing for the 'Well. Thought Patterson gave the ball away, was caught in possession and was out of position in first-half alone more times than O'Donnell has been in his last 6 plus games for Scotland. As Weeyin said Patterson's (lack of) defending led to first goal. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alpha1886 said:

Fwiw Clarke was probably protecting O'Donnell by not playing him at Hampden because a sizeable number of 'fans' would have been quick to get at him and blame him for everything that went wrong.

If that's the case, then his International career is over, if he can't be picked to play in front of his home crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×