Jump to content

postiejim

Alexander.

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Were you at the game the other night? Toxic barely sums it up.

I realise that. It was sarcasm, given the 'Fuck off Kelly, ya dick' comment.

The manager's gone. If the fans fancy chasing one of our few decent players out too, fair enough, but would it not be better to take a breather and see what their reaction on the park is first?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

It was toxic on Thursday night. But justifiable in my opinion

I agree but hopefully a fresh start without Alexander means the tension drops for the upcoming games.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing the abuse shouted at Alexander when he was giving his post-match interview was really embarrassing. I thought he sounded a bit shaken. I don't care what the industry is, no one should have to go to their job and get shouted and sworn at, no matter what you think of them. He's human and  deserves a basic level of respect and anyone who thinks it's okay to address someone else in that manner in any circumstances should take a long hard look at themselves. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I agree but hopefully a fresh start without Alexander means the tension drops for the upcoming games.

It will I reckon. Alexander needed to go, I think that overwhelming majority of the support realised that and letting him stay in the post would only have exacerbated bad feelings from the fans. 
 

24 hours ago I was dreading the start of the league season but as soon as the news that Alexander had gone came out I immediately felt a lot better about it. Of course that could change quickly should we make the wrong appointment, especially if Robinson is brought back, but at the moment we have an opportunity to move forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Were you at the game the other night? Toxic barely sums it up.

toxic probably     anger feckin deffo    i for one spent the thick end of £750  to watch  90 mins of shite from that bunch of feckin spineless cants   anyway rant over

at least the guiness / cider was great :danced:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Hammel has us sitting 8th on the opening day of the season. get him tae fuck :scratchhead:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No wonder he was getting shouted at, his attitude had just cost the club best part of £350k possibly more and another European trip for the fans . Some spent a large proportion of their income to travel for the game.  If you don’t want shouted at ,don’t be a football manager with big wages and ALWAYS a big pay off even if you fail.    Get a normal job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, stv said:

Some spent a large proportion of their income to travel for the game.

Presumably on the understanding that we might lose, because that's how football works.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ppower said:

Blaming the fans. Really!!! What a dick. Deflecting how crap his and the teams performance was. He wasn't exactly clever at the first goal. His lack of height caused that.  It's the 5 wins in 23 games. How about you mention that it's you and the rest of your gutless wonders that contributed to his demise. No hope for us with dicks like that blaming the fans. Fuck right off Kelly. That crap from Kelly tell you all you need to know about our spineless cowardly team.

For heavens sake calm down. Talk about over reaction to a fairly harmless couple of comments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, numpty said:

Presumably on the understanding that we might lose, because that's how football works.

At least you would expect some fukin effort. That’s usually a prerequisite for a football game that’s how it works , you know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stv said:

No wonder he was getting shouted at, his attitude had just cost the club best part of £350k possibly more and another European trip for the fans . Some spent a large proportion of their income to travel for the game.  If you don’t want shouted at ,don’t be a football manager with big wages and ALWAYS a big pay off even if you fail.    Get a normal job. 

correct    thers not many jobs in the world that " when your shite at it you get the golden handshake to just fuck off " what happened to the good old days when if you were shite at your job all you got was the " just fuck off bit "   crazy world we live in    aw well whos next for the inevitable " golden handshake "

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The board and Alan Burrows have to take responsibility for this mess. They must have been aware that feelings were running high over Alexander. Absolutely we need to be realistic given the budget we have and the players we have but every year we want to avoid relegation (of course) and if we can make top six.

I don't believe Alexander downed tools after he got a new contract and we did scrape through more than a few games to get top 6 but the board and Burrows knew there was a section of the support who were talking about boycotts and not going back to Fir Park if he was manager next season.

Of course managers need to take abuse on the chin but all I saw on twitter was demands for him to go for months. The board let this fester until it boiled over and we are 24 hours from the first game and no manager. I also get that Burrows has a job to do and maybe won't want to face criticism on social media but he's tweeted nothing for a week. I'm not demanding an explanation from him but if you expect fans to buy season tickets and merch particularly given that we are in Europe then surely there should be a bit of accountability when things go wrong.

If folk want to boo the team and the manager fair enough but giving the manager abuse mid interview? Someone grabbing his mic off him and giving him abuse? Too far and it could have been prevented. The boards indecision helped cause this situation. It just makes us look like arseholes when actually Motherwell fans are on the whole a very decent fan base.

As for Liam Kelly of course he's entitled to his opinion but part of me thinks he should just sit the fuck down and say his piece another time. He's our highest paid player and its us who help pay his wages. I think he's an excellent player as well. I just think it's crap when you have fans who haven't liked Alexander and have expressed it privately or in an non offensive way and are getting the finger pointed at them when the team haven't been delivering for months.

I hope the folk at the top learn from this mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, smiddy said:

correct    thers not many jobs in the world that " when your shite at it you get the golden handshake to just fuck off " what happened to the good old days when if you were shite at your job all you got was the " just fuck off bit "   crazy world we live in    aw well whos next for the inevitable " golden handshake "

Depends how far back into the good old days you go, I suppose. By 'golden handshake' do you mean paying up a contract agreed and signed by the club at the time of hiring?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, smiddy said:

correct    thers not many jobs in the world that " when your shite at it you get the golden handshake to just fuck off " what happened to the good old days when if you were shite at your job all you got was the " just fuck off bit "   crazy world we live in    aw well whos next for the inevitable " golden handshake "

I don't think anyone should get a just fuck off if they are crap at their job. Most other jobs have probationary periods built in and if they aren't performing in that time normally six months they are shown the door. People deserve some employment security but football isn't that secure, managers know that when they take the job. They could put managers on a rolling contract and it would be up to them to accept it or not when they were offered the job.

The issue is that the board offered Alexander an extended contract so if they've had to pay more money to get him out of that contract that's on them. They made that decision clearly based on the results he got before the end of 2021.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I don't think anyone should get a just fuck off if they are crap at their job. Most other jobs have probationary periods built in and if they aren't performing in that time normally six months they are shown the door. People deserve some employment security but football isn't that secure, managers know that when they take the job. They could put managers on a rolling contract and it would be up to them to accept it or not when they were offered the job.

The issue is that the board offered Alexander an extended contract so if they've had to pay more money to get him out of that contract that's on them. They made that decision clearly based on the results he got before the end of 2021.

 

You should work for a local authority, you can be crap at your job for 20 years and still keep picking up a wage.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No managerial appointment is guaranteed at any level, and clubs are way too quick to sack managers thesedays. Results aren't guaranteed, even if you're throwing silly money around, look at Hibs and Aberdeen, who blow us out of the water financially when it comes to attracting players and managers. We also have the problem that if we find someone who works magic, we'll be losing them to someone bigger soon enough.

How we conduct our business, both in private and in public, goes a long way to us getting the edge over the other clubs our size, of which there are many. If we start doing a Watford and sacking folk left and right, we'll find ourselves plummeting fast. Our candidate pool is shallow enough as it is, if we get a reputation of expecting miracles on a shite budget and tearing up contracts, we're going to get only the most desperate or inexperienced candidates. Loyalty works two ways.

At the time of hiring Alexander we had a choice between him and Tommy Wright. We clearly made the right one, and you can't take Alexander's achievement of saving us from relegation and getting us into Europe away from him, it happened. As shite as other teams were, we still finished above them, we can't apologize for that.

It's also clear that he wasn't going to be capable of taking us any further, and was one dimensional in his approach, so leaving now was the right decision.

It's worth mentioning that dealing with real human beings in real life is a lot more nuanced than football manager.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the talk about replacement managers, Mcfadden, Craigan, Levein, Barry ferguson and bringing Robinson back is comedy gold.

We need an experienced manager with a proven track record who can come in and get the best from the current squad, good coaching and man management skills, and preferably not one of the usual out of work Scottish managers thar get quoted when a job comes up, I even read somebody suggesting Gordon Stachan ffs.

So it's up to AB and the board to get this right as he needs to get the team up and running right away as the pre season has been a shambles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steeldrew said:

Hearing the abuse shouted at Alexander when he was giving his post-match interview was really embarrassing. I thought he sounded a bit shaken. I don't care what the industry is, no one should have to go to their job and get shouted and sworn at, no matter what you think of them. He's human and  deserves a basic level of respect and anyone who thinks it's okay to address someone else in that manner in any circumstances should take a long hard look at themselves. 

Between someone grabbing the mic off him and the disgraceful 'only sing in the chapel' song from first leg there is a small minority of our support whose behaviour really is an embarrassment, however it shouldn't over shadow the majority of decent fans who are able to voice their opinion in a civilised manner. Tomorrow let's all get the behind the management and players and hopefully celebrate a league win against buddies.... altogether now....come on yeeee welllllllllll

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This board alone is proven how toxic our fan base has become folk forget quickly Alexander saved us from the drop and got us top six .Yep football wasn't the best last 6 months but my god the same fans who put up with the same shite from Robinson for a whole year and were standing up applauding him when St Mirren returned!

However it's good to see some level heads on here actually speaking sense yep we all get pissed off following the Well but this vile toxic situation needs to simmer.You pay yer money to watch football you don't know what yer getting you might have a rough idea but nothing is certain that goes for any team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve not read the Liam Kelly interview but he’s absolutely right, we have one of the angriest most aggressive most confrontational fan bases in the country. Grown men standing and screaming until they are blue in the face at anything they can justify. The ref, our own players, Alexander, even each other in the stands. It can be horrible to be in and around.

 

Just look at the reaction since it’s been posted, “stfu”, “get to fuck”, “just focus on St Mirren” etc etc. He’s completely right.

 

Edit - just to be clear I’m all for shouting and raising your voice and what not when merited, but it is a million miles too far so often. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I’ve not read the Liam Kelly interview but he’s absolutely right, we have one of the angriest most aggressive most confrontational fan bases in the country. Grown men standing and screaming until they are blue in the face at anything they can justify. The ref, our own players, Alexander, even each other in the stands. It can be horrible to be in and around.

 

Just look at the reaction since it’s been posted, “stfu”, “get to fuck”, “just focus on St Mirren” etc etc. He’s completely right.

 

Edit - just to be clear I’m all for shouting and raising your voice and what not when merited, but it is a million miles too far so often. 

I have mates that aren't satisfied when we win, sitting in the pub afterwards dissecting every player's performance as 'pish', one got banned for being negative :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure our support are really that much worse than any other.

In saying that I thought a fair % were quick to turn on the Manager and team on Thursday night. Maybe a large quantity of alcohol and sunshine was let’s say toxic mix…..

The performances were woeful no doubt but to sing you are getting sacked in the morning before HT was simply sh1te.  Also fans turning on fans with physical and verbal abuse was well out of order but hardly surprising when you witness ageing casuals trying to relive their formative years. 

It was time for Alexander to go and maybe it was the fans behaviour that helped move it along but I still felt a number of our supporters were bang out of order last week. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This. A thousand times this. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Kelly said. A lot of snowflakes around, it seems.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This. A thousand times this. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Kelly said. A lot of snowflakes around, it seems.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk


Fuck sake. I meant to quote a Fizoxy post here but seem to have messed it up





Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

Twitter @MotherwellFC

×