• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

Sanchez came in to Fulham and did exactly what was asked to do. There was a month of the season left and his job was to keep them in the EPL. Something Shearer couldn't do with Newcastle, and something the new Celtic manager failed to do with WBA.

He did the same with Wycombe when he took over there (i.e. saved them from relegation) and got them to the FA Cup semis. So he appears to have some skills. He did a decent job with Norn Iron too.

I don't know enough about Sanchez to say if it would be a good appointment. When his name first came up, I think a few people were simply impressed by the name, the Premiership and international experience. If anything makes him a good candidate for the job, it would be his Wyncombe experience. The only thing about having managed a Premiership side is that it was Fulham, similar to Motherwell in that they were trying to compete with teams with a much larger budget.

All in all, it makes him sound like not a bad candidate. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compare with Sanchez, who never achieved anything at Wycombe and was useless at Fulham.

As a club who did fuck all in the 80's (bar win the 1st division) Motherwell hark to Scottish and League cup semi final defeats as being highs, Wycombe were within 90 minutes of an FA Cup final by the same logic you provide for Gary Mac.

I am not a Sanchez fanboy, I'm only making a counterpoint to the shreiking Fulham fan by pointing out the view of more than one Sligo fan's view of yer man Sanchez. Any manager we get is going to be an unknown quantity, but Calderwood would be the daftest appointment since the dentist's at midnight.

All in all, it makes him sound like not a bad candidate. He wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't be unhappy with his appointment...
I think that about sums it up for me too. He would be decent enough, I think, and there is a reasonable chance he could do well.

I see Colin Calderwood has got a mention in the Sun. :(

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...wrie-talks.html

So going by that article we could know our Euro opponents and new manager on Monday (if JB makes a decision over the weekend). Exciting times.

I am happy with the situation. I am confident that JB will be good at putting potential managers through their paces at interview. To have some competition for the job is a good thing and of the names mentioned one of them I am sure would make a good Well manager. Lets hope JB picks the right one.

Sanchez came in to Fulham and did exactly what was asked to do. There was a month of the season left and his job was to keep them in the EPL. Something Shearer couldn't do with Newcastle, and something the new Celtic manager failed to do with WBA.

He did the same with Wycombe when he took over there (i.e. saved them from relegation) and got them to the FA Cup semis. So he appears to have some skills. He did a decent job with Norn Iron too.

Sure - we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think saving Wycombe from League 2 is much of an achievement, I think that is a club that should be competing at the other end of the table if managed well and they really didn't in any meaningful way under his guidance, even though he was given plenty of time. Fulham, similarly, he didn't have to do a great deal to secure their Prem status, and if you look at their record under both Chris Coleman and Roy Hodgson, I don't think it shows him in a particularly good light.

I wouldn't dispute he did an OK job with the Irish, but it has been slightly flattered by their ridiculous underperformance of the early-2000s, and perhaps can now be seen in a more realistic light with what Nigel Worthington is achieving also.

As a club who did fuck all in the 80's (bar win the 1st division) Motherwell hark to Scottish and League cup semi final defeats as being highs, Wycombe were within 90 minutes of an FA Cup final by the same logic you provide for Gary Mac.

No, I don't think that's similar at all - Leeds under McAllister had to put together a long record of winning consistency to reach a play-off final. You don't need that for a run to a cup semi-final, where there is much more an element of chance involved in who you play.

You'll have to explain to me a rational basis for your dislike of Colin Calderwood, he has a very good track record, of promoting both his clubs.

Northampton Town October 9 2003-May 29 2006 P 154 W74 D40 L40 W% 48.05

Nottingham Forest May 30 2006-December 26 2008 P136 W57 D42 L37 W%41.91

Calderwood's stance and comments after Phil O'Donnell's death means that he will never be welcome near Motherwell.

If he is ever near the place as opposing manager, or whatever, he should be prepared to be lynched.

He'll be lucky to get off the M74 before he's run off the road and given his battering.

Total c**t.

According to today's online Sun, Lawrie Sanchez has been interviewed for the vacancy. Colin Calderwood has also expressed an interest in the hot seat too apparently.

If you mean Colin calderwood :lol: he is the only one quoted that would make me think about handing back my season ticket( that even includes Lennon and Robertson :( )

You'll have to explain to me a rational basis for your dislike of Colin Calderwood, he has a very good track record, of promoting both his clubs.

Northampton Town October 9 2003-May 29 2006 P 154 W74 D40 L40 W% 48.05

Nottingham Forest May 30 2006-December 26 2008 P136 W57 D42 L37 W%41.91

Football isn't rational to the supporters, it's emotional and if there is one name that gets the Motherwell supports emotions raging it's Colin Calderwood.

Season tickets in the post back to Mr Boyle if thats who he appoints.

Edit: I'm sure Mr T will give you his own reply

Calderwood's stance and comments after Phil O'Donnell's death means that he will never be welcome near Motherwell.

If he is ever near the place as opposing manager, or whatever, he should be prepared to be lynched.

He'll be lucky to get off the M74 before he's run off the road and given his battering.

Total c**t.

You know we've all had a laugh on this. But if this was ever considered the board would have some serious questions to answer.

The depth of feeling within the support for Phil's memory and Colin Calderwoods comments should be clear and understood by them.

I don't think it'll go any distance. However it's one of those situations where I genuinely think season tickets will go back and fans will protest.

No to Calderwood!

LAWRIE SANCHEZ and Gary McAllister are the latest high profile candidates to be interviewed for the Motherwell job.

Express Sport has learnt that the pair have both held talks with chairman John Boyle this week, as they battle it out to replace Mark McGhee.

It comes on the back of the Express Sport's revelations that former Republic of Irelandmag-glass_10x10.gif boss Steve Staunton had discussions with Boyle, on a trip north, earlier this week.

Boyle is keen to avoid going down the route of an experienced Scottish name and has already received more than 35 applications for the position.

McAllister is the fans' favourite but the Well hierarchy have reservations because their former midfielder turned them down last time around.

Since then the ex-Coventy City boss has seen his stock drop after an indifferent spell at Leedsmag-glass_10x10.gif United.

Meanwhile, Sanchez has since denied his interest in the job publicly but is still keen to land the position, after being sacked by Premiership Fulham.

The Englishman has previously managed Wycombe, Irish league side Sligo and the Northern Irish national team, where he coached Well captain Stephen Craigan.

Sanchez and McAllister were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Ironically it could turn out to be an interesting battle between two halves of Ireland and the fact Staunton was McAllister's No. 2 at Leeds.

Boyle was still talking applications yesterday and will also speak to Scottish Cup winning defender Luc Nijholt about the job.

The Dutchman has previously been assistant to Co Adriaanse at Red Bull Salzburg, where they won the Austrian title.

Well return for pre-season on Monday, with skipper Craigan asked to take temporary charge, although the club hope to have their new manager before they kick off their Europa League campaign on July 2.

Motherwell skipper Stephen Craigan is confident he will not take charge of the club's Europa League opener as chairman John Boyle closes in on a new manager.

The Northern Ireland defender will take charge of training on Monday when the players return for pre-season.

The Steelmen will also find out their Europa League first qualifying round opponents on the same day.

But Craigan does not expect to take the team for the first leg on July 2.

Boyle has been interviewing candidates to replace Mark McGhee, who departed for Aberdeen along with assistant Scott Leitch earlier this month.

Former international managers Steve Staunton and Lawrie Sanchez are thought to be in the frame while ex-Well pair Gary McAllister and Luc Nijholt have both expressed interest.

Craigan told BBC Radio Scotland. "I would expect and hope we would have a manager in place by the end of the week.

"They were talking about bringing in an experienced man but they realised it might only be for two or three days.

"I have spoken to the physio, we have something organised for training for the week and if it only lasts a day, then fine."

The 32-year-old, who completed the first part of his A licence coaching course this summer, added: "I'm in no position to manage a football club and tell players what to do. I still think I can play for another two or three years.

"I'm just there as a frontman until a new man comes in. When you've been at a club for 13 years, albeit over two spells, I'm more than happy to help out as much as I can."

LAWRIE SANCHEZ and Gary McAllister are the latest high profile candidates to be interviewed for the Motherwell job.

Express Sport has learnt that the pair have both held talks with chairman John Boyle this week, as they battle it out to replace Mark McGhee.

It comes on the back of the Express Sport's revelations that former Republic of Irelandmag-glass_10x10.gif boss Steve Staunton had discussions with Boyle, on a trip north, earlier this week.

Boyle is keen to avoid going down the route of an experienced Scottish name and has already received more than 35 applications for the position.

McAllister is the fans' favourite but the Well hierarchy have reservations because their former midfielder turned them down last time around.

Since then the ex-Coventy City boss has seen his stock drop after an indifferent spell at Leedsmag-glass_10x10.gif United.

Meanwhile, Sanchez has since denied his interest in the job publicly but is still keen to land the position, after being sacked by Premiership Fulham.

The Englishman has previously managed Wycombe, Irish league side Sligo and the Northern Irish national team, where he coached Well captain Stephen Craigan.

Sanchez and McAllister were unavailable for comment yesterday.

Ironically it could turn out to be an interesting battle between two halves of Ireland and the fact Staunton was McAllister's No. 2 at Leeds.

Boyle was still talking applications yesterday and will also speak to Scottish Cup winning defender Luc Nijholt about the job.

The Dutchman has previously been assistant to Co Adriaanse at Red Bull Salzburg, where they won the Austrian title.

Well return for pre-season on Monday, with skipper Craigan asked to take temporary charge, although the club hope to have their new manager before they kick off their Europa League campaign on July 2.

Is he? I'm not only going with this forum but av spoke to a few of my fellow well fans and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. Even this forum is split numerous ways!!