• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

Me too. To be honest, they seem to be getting in the way.

if we get through the two rounds drawn, we'll make £270,000 in prize money. hopefully that'll be clear profit and the home gate revenue will cover hiring the excellsior and travel.

say we make it through three rounds (which will be difficult but not entirely unlikely) come the first day we could have won three or four competitive games and go through to perth buzzing.

imo the club have everything to gain and nothing to lose from these games. from my perspective as fan, a game in eight days and a quality trip coming up - bring it on!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you guys are mental to not respect any games in Europe. Remember for over a hundred years we didnt play in Europe. Look at Raith Rovers and Dunfermline Im sure there fans would rather they concentrated on the league im sure than have the option of european football. Its like someone said re Falkirk they will remember last season for the cup final not that they nearly went down. Will I remember 8th in the league or thereabouts in the future or motherwell playing 2-3 games in europe.

How can anyone honestly believe that playing European ties is a waste of time astonishes me. It's great to see us back in competitive action instead of pre-season friendlies. As for later in the season im sure a few days off here and there will take care of burnout. If we miracously make the Europa league proper could you imagine how chuffed we'll all be not to mention quids in for the club and raising our profile to attract a better calibre of player....Jeeso! :doh: .

Pretty lucrative friendlies though. Win in two winnable in rounds and that's 200k in the bank.

I would hazard a guess that we're gonna lose money rather than gain it until the 3rd qualifying round if we make it

I would hazard a guess that we're gonna lose money rather than gain it until the 3rd qualifying round if we make it

you get 90 grand for each qualifying round you play in. so if we get by the welsh team that's £180K guaranteed. obviously we've got to pay for hiring the shyberry and trips to wales and albania but hopefully our home gate money (£50-60 thousand?) would cover that.

you get 90 grand for each qualifying round you play in. so if we get by the welsh team that's £180K guaranteed. obviously we've got to pay for hiring the shyberry and trips to wales and albania but hopefully our home gate money (£50-60 thousand?) would cover that.

Fifa cover the travel costs, so we only really need the gate money to cover hiring the Shyberry or whatever it's called nowadays.

When McGhee left, we should've withdrew from Europe. It is just a massive inconvenience of the highest order in which we are more than likely going to be prepared for in the most amatuerish way possible. We won't attract any players, let alone a higher calibre, on the back of it, it forces the players back from last season far too early risking burnout later on in the year, and serves no purpose other than the opportunity for fans to travel to and get pissed in a different place. Which as much as it's good fun, it has no importance in the grand scheme of things whatsoever. And just like Nancy last year, there appears to be ticket problems again.

Fucking hell, this is when you get the sleeves up and get stuck in, we're Motherwell, an unfashionable mob with plenty of grit and determination about us.

say we make it through three rounds (which will be difficult but not entirely unlikely) come the first day we could have won three or four competitive games and go through to perth buzzing.

I seem to recall a few years ago Hibs got quite far in the intertoto and then came flying out the traps in the league, leading for a good few weeks. The problem then came later on as the players burnt out towards the end. I think having games pre season with something to play for is much better than the usual shite we are treated to and can only benefit the team, if only in the short term.

I seem to recall a few years ago Hibs got quite far in the intertoto and then came flying out the traps in the league, leading for a good few weeks. The problem then came later on as the players burnt out towards the end. I think having games pre season with something to play for is much better than the usual shite we are treated to and can only benefit the team, if only in the short term.

if the players train hard, eat properly and don't bevvy they should be fine... shite.

loads of players play 50+ games a season. more physically demanding sports such as tennis and cycling have 11 month seasons. and you won't hear anyone going to the world cup moaning about burn out. the way only europe could effect us negatively is if we make the groupstage and have to play loads of midweeks (which would be amazing).

I'm not really a panicker and I'm generally happy that the club appear to being thourough and meticulous in their search for a gaffer.

However looking at the potential in's and out's and those implications on the start to the Europa League campaign (up until this morning it looked as though that team although thin on the bench would pick itself)

I was quite happy for things to take their natural course, however, I think it's cards on the table time with the appointment.

I imagine they've had a chance to speak to everybody now.

Time for the club to get the sleeves rolled up for the preparation for the new season.

Let's be havin' ya!

When McGhee left, we should've withdrew from Europe. It is just a massive inconvenience of the highest order in which we are more than likely going to be prepared for in the most amatuerish way possible. We won't attract any players, let alone a higher calibre, on the back of it, it forces the players back from last season far too early risking burnout later on in the year, and serves no purpose other than the opportunity for fans to travel to and get pissed in a different place. Which as much as it's good fun, it has no importance in the grand scheme of things whatsoever. And just like Nancy last year, there appears to be ticket problems again.

but MMG solved that problem for us by letting so many contracts run out.

Everyone is saying we need to bring in at least 5 new guys so then at least half the team wont have returned early from pre season and suffer any burn out.

wait to see after the meeting today about tickets for the away leg.......they still might play at the rugby ground due to plod insisting

I was the same. Until the imminent, likely, and according to some, concluded deals of Clarky and Quinn, on paper at least, our starting 11 wasn't too bad. That has all changed now, and I'm now getting pretty panicy about the apparent lack of progress on the manager front. I think we've been kept in the dark quite a bit. An appointment has to be made by the end of the week surely?

Just a thought - might the departure of Clarkson and/or Quinn (if confirmed) be an indication that the new manager has either been chosen, or at least narrowed down to a short list, and they have indicated that they don't want those particular players, and would rather have the money to bring in their own??

Just a thought - might the departure of Clarkson and/or Quinn (if confirmed) be an indication that the new manager has either been chosen, or at least narrowed down to a short list, and they have indicated that they don't want those particular players, and would rather have the money to bring in their own??

Seem to remember McGhee saying something to the effect that it would not just the the out of contract players that would be leaving the club this summer, and that this was part of his justification for jumping ship.

If we are in no financial position to offer these lads new and improved contracts then we are as well to get the cash in rather than nowt in 12 months. The new man may have a decent war chest available to him if we are not too late to the party!

What a lot of tosh :P - why is it suddenly MMcG's fault that we don't have a team. The players have the upper hand in all of this. I don't believe for a minute that MMcG deliberately set out to weaken Motherwell (as conspiracy theories go, that's quite preposterous). If players don't want to sign conracts, they are under no obligation to do so despite what John Boyle, MMcG, Stoney or you Milo might want them to do.

Let's get real in all this - the situation might just be as scottr has suggested :P

What a lot of tosh :D - why is it suddenly MMcG's fault that we don't have a team. The players have the upper hand in all of this. I don't believe for a minute that MMcG deliberately set out to weaken Motherwell (as conspiracy theories go, that's quite preposterous). If players don't want to sign conracts, they are under no obligation to do so despite what John Boyle, MMcG, Stoney or you Milo might want them to do.

Let's get real in all this - the situation might just be as scottr has suggested :cheers:

You say that the players had the upper hand in this but who allowed it to happen when our squad was already so threadbare?

there was a big posibility that MMG was leaving this summer. It was well known that Jimmy C was not going to get another year at aberdeen and MMG knew that wgs was leaving celtic at easter.

Has MMg really been trying that hard to sign up the boys whose contracts were to run out this summer or to lengthen the likes of quinn or dc's? .

so far MMg has been linked with taking hughes, klimpl and possibly mclean to the dons, as well as Jim P on loan from plymouth and there was talk before the tv deal went t*ts up that they might put a wee feeler bid in for DC.

i know he is not totally to blame but he must shoulder some of it cos he took his eye off our ball same as last summer

Although I have no idea who our next manager is, I suspect that JB has made his decision and that everything is done and dusted. I also think that talks have taken place with the new manager where he will have agreed the sale of DC and PQ with the money being made available to him for signing targets who I hope he is now talking to. I think the reason he's not been revealed yet is due to the club not wanting him to be seen as the man behind getting rid of these players, which could lead to a small section of our fans being on his back from day one.

All of this is only my opinion and if I'm correct then by Tuesday we will have seen

DC sold,

PQ sold or deal nearly completed,

new manager confirmed,

one new player signed and added to the squad for Europa cup game.

All of this is only my opinion and if I'm correct then by Tuesday we will have seen

DC sold,

PQ sold or deal nearly completed,

new manager confirmed,

one new player signed and added to the squad for Europa cup game.

I hope your right mate <_<

Your rigth MMcG isn't the only cog in the wheel, nor was it his decision to allow contracts to run their course, the players in question did that by exercising their right not to take up offers from the club - while I appreciate he will have had an input over who should be offered deals or not, ultimately the buck stops with John Boyle. If we offer 'x' and the player says no thanks - what are the club supposed to do, they can't go out and sign a replacement because they are bound by FIFA/UEFA guidelines and the transfer window, therefore can't do any business until it is open - must make forward planning a nightmare.

Stephen Hughes had already made up his mind - to people privately - that he wasn't here for the long haul - despite the noises he may have made in the press.

Don't get too hung up on the fact that MMcG has been central to all this - it will just eat away at you and make you bitter <_< - he's gone, there are other extreme factors at work here, which is pushing our already meagre budget to the limit.