Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From his point of view, surely he would have to take the job if offered. He enjoyed some incredible times up there as a player, and whilst those heady days are long gone, Aberdeen is a bigger club. Perhaps wrangling over compensation would be the only possible obstacle to the move?

Article from Herald

"There is compensation to agree but the talks were encouraging," said McGhee last night. "For me, there is an element of sentimentality attached to the Aberdeen job. This is an opportunity to manage a club where I had fantastic success and memories as a player. The same would have applied at Celtic. So there is an element of going home' about the Aberdeen job for me and I quite like that."

Best of luck to him if he does move on. MM has given us a good 2 years, amidst very very difficult circumstances so I won't criticise the man. If he does go and I met him in the street then I'd shake his hand and wish him well :D

IMHO, Aberdeen are a bigger club than MFC and a greater challenge awaits him ...........

If he stays, then good. If he goes, then lets get on with it. Life and football goes on.

Im sorry I know he is a former player for them and all that so fair enough but this is nothing more than a sideways move as far as Im concerned. No more than that.

Footballing-wise you're right, I dare say his salary will move rather more upwards than sideways, though. Can't say I wouldn't do just the same in his position.

Fair play to McGhee, but i will be glad all this is over because the last two seasons have been very uncomfortable at times with all the managerial talk.

The thing that sticks out for me over all this is the lack of quotes/discussion this has on the impact on Motherwell. No one from the club appears to be issuing the standard 'hands off' stuff even if it is just a front to try and stave away teams. Plus McGhee has made no mention of Motherwell in his interview, just the nostalgia about the Dons. No 'im a Motherwell manager until otherwise told' shit etc; im surprised by that. Its like we have lost him without a fight or effort.

Best of luck to him if he does move on. MM has given us a good 2 years, amidst very very difficult circumstances so I won't criticise the man. If he does go and I met him in the street then I'd shake his hand and wish him well :D

IMHO, Aberdeen are a bigger club than MFC and a greater challenge awaits him ...........

If he stays, then good. If he goes, then lets get on with it. Life and football goes on.

Put simply, I don't disagree with any of that.

This side ways move talk is a little short sighted in my opinion. If Mark McGhee replicates his first year with us at Pittodrie, then as a club their potential is unquestionably greater than ours, I can't see what's side ways about that - they are a bigger club. No big deal really. If/when he departs then I await his succesor with interest.

Good luck to him!!

he handled himself with dignity and represented the club well after Phil's death. He also got the best out of an average team in his first season.

End of the day though, he's been a reluctant manager for us for the past 18 months. He wanted the Scotland Job, The Reading Job, The Celtic job and now the Aberdeen job.

Hopefully our next manager will be someone who wants to be our manager, and has no hidden agendas!!

we all knew he was going to go to one of the two teams so no point moaning about it and to be honest i wish it had happened a few weeks ago just after season finished give us more time to appoint the right guy to take us forward now we only have 3 weeks till our first game so i it may be a rushed job to get someone in therefore possibly a panic appointment

Hopefully our next manager will be someone who wants to be our manager, and has no hidden agendas!!

Is there such a man out there ?

Lets face it, any manager who does a decent job at Motherwell will always attract interest from elsewhere, its that kind of show. He's damned if he fails and he's damned if he succeeds............ and we're damned either way :D

Lets face it, any manager who does a decent job at Motherwell will always attract interest from elsewhere, its that kind of show. He's damned if he fails and he's damned if he succeeds............ and we're damned either way :D

As I said in another thread I would like to see us pull out all the stops and attract Gary McAllister back to the club where it all started for him. I also feel he would attract players to the club that others might not.

We dont need a Jocky Scott, Jim Duffy etc etc.

I will be sorry to see him go if only for the exciting football he brought in season 07-08. We acheived Europe for the first time by merit and even though we got in the back door this time around I guess he can take some plaudits for ensuring we never resorted to thuggish tactics.

I cannot fault him for wanting to join Aberdeen and wish him good luck. What I do know are that the expectations will be greater and he has to hit the ground running. It could easily end up going pear shaped again and with no malice intended I hope it does. So that yet another Manager/Player realises that leaving Motherwell does not always bring success.

It will be good in these tough times to get some decnt compensation but I just pray we make another good appointment. Not sure re the clammer for Gary Mac. His managerial career so far has hardly been a success.

I really cannot think of one man I want in the hot seat and that is worrying. I know lots disagree but I would take Butcher back, although that is highly unlightly given who his assistant is and will always probably be.

I hope McGhee has the good grace to thank Motherwell for giving him another shot at Managerial greatness, but sadly I suspect it will all be platitudes about his new club. It does leave us in an almighty mess as we should be looking at new players and gearing up for the European challenge in less than a months time.

It is never boring down Motherwell way!

I just read an article whereby McGhee is saying that he is not jumping ship to Aberdeen for monetary reasons. In fact he is claiming that the contract on offer is not much more than he is on at Motherwell. Wow - must mean he is getting paid too much here.

In fact if we can get the new guy at £50-100k less than McGhee was on + compensation then we have effectivley added £300k to our coffers this year. That might make Boyle a little less sad that he is offski. Especially in light of the issues at Setanta and the threat of no TV revenue for next season.

I just read an article whereby McGhee is saying that he is not jumping ship to Aberdeen for monetary reasons. In fact he is claiming that the contract on offer is not much more than he is on at Motherwell.

Fan and media pressure will be much more intense IMHO.

No it means people have forgotten Aberdeen are up shit creek without a paddle financially. Every year The Stewart Milne Group has to guarantee their loans. Aberdeen are a mess of a football club, and if they move into a Council run Stadium any time soon it will be even worse.

Lets face it, any manager who does a decent job at Motherwell will always attract interest from elsewhere, its that kind of show.

That's absolutely correct and I don't begrudge McGhee, or any other Motherwell player or manager from wanting to better themselves.

The problem that I have is when players and managers openly talk about their desire to move on to bigger and better things and tout themselves for other jobs at other clubs while they are still employed by Motherwell Football Club, ie. Pearson, McDonald and McGhee(albeit to a lesser extent than the other two). That shows a complete lack of respect for the club and the supporters. It's only natural that they will want to move on to a bigger club if they are successful, as that's life, but I don't want to hear them constantly speaking of this publically, either directly or indirectly.

I also don't like McGhee's constant commenting on issues at other clubs whilst he's been our manager. I know someone earlier said that if McGhee went, our club wouldn't get as much media attention, but to be honest, it's not us that are getting the attention, it's all about Mark McGhee, and he's usually talking about Celtic(usually), or Hearts, or Rangers or whoever's currently hitting the headlines.

But hey, McGhee "doesn't care what we think". His words, not mine. :nod:

No doubt many people will see this has having been mooted prio to the end of the Season, not coming out with the players at the last game etc.

Romanticism and Sentimentallity aside I think it shows a distinct lack of ambition, and an appaling lack of honour and loyalty.

Could it be Strachan advised him not go for the Hearts job as he knew then this was to be his last season at Celtic and MMG thought he would be a shoo in for that job, but now been told on the QT thats not going to Happen ?

Aberdeen go into the Europa League only 1 round later than we do so Europe isn't a big deal.

We can only hope our club dont dick about and that a new gaffer is in situ ASAP.

Maybe we will benefit from the impoteus anew manager always seems to bring to a club I woudln't mind seeing John Hughes as the manager.

Aberdeen go into the Europa League only 1 round later than we do so Europe isn't a big deal.

Just to point out they go into the Third Round. So that is two rounds after us.

Maybe we will benefit from the impoteus anew manager always seems to bring to a club I woudln't mind seeing John Hughes as the manager.

Why? Why the fuck would you want someone who has taken Falkirk, in the league backwards. Was given a huge budget at the start of the 2008/09 season and survived on the last game of the season, then came out and moaned that the Falkirk Board won't give him the same size of budget.

You think McGhee's comment about not caring what the fans think was bad, did you see what Hughes did! He demanded action be taken by the Board on the Falkirk Supporters Club because they dared to question him because he used Falkirk's substantial budget to sign Lee Bullen, Kevin McBride and Elvis!

I'm all for signing a guy who wants to use us as a stepping stone, but for fuck sake Hughes has been in the papers, on the radio and TV Interviews saying he wants to be Swansea Manager. After failing to land the Blackpool job...

OK his salary may increase but Aberdeen had a few glory years when McGhee was a player but have had no notable success since. Its a sideways move footballing wise and even if he does the same with them as he did with us last year does that mean that Aberdeen are going to have the potential to challenge for the title? Of course not. In my opinion it is most certainly a sideways move, as demonstrated by the calibre of player currently at both clubs, ie exactly the same.

For what its worth I would like to see the board be a bit adventurous and go for Luc Nijholt and Chris McCart as his assistant if possible.