Gannon Moves For Jennings

Motherwell Seagull

Surprising as it will be to some people on here, I have taken no pleasure in McShovelface's apparent inability to sign players. Yes, the quotes are familiar, and already Gannon seems to move a hell of a lot quicker in the transfer market than our previous manager. The thought strikes me that this is perhaps because the state of our squad at the moment means that it is easier to find someone to improve our squad. Perhaps. I'm excited by the Gannon appointment and look forward to seeing his team in action, but it is very early to be stating that he will do a better job than McShovelface.

But there are a few revisionists on here. A lot of those now slagging our previous manager and his quotes in the press are those that were defending him to the likes of myself when we were questioning some of his decisions and his inactivity in the transfer market...

EDIT Aye, welcome Steve. Sorry, got sidetracked by the sudden move of some to join the Anti-McShovelface bandwagon. Looks like he'll take no prisoners, but his goal return makes it look like he may have more to offer than Klimpl. Young, yet with a few games under his belt, only downside would be if it turns out to be a 1 year deal...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As i said i was a mm fan till the end.

I may be proved wrong,but what a signing. SJ's just about to be made captian at the age of 24. Dont think this is a panic buy in terms of our depleted squad. I think JG has assessed our squad and likes what he sees and knows hisway about alba-i've been a phantom member on this forum for long enough to know that our under 19's arent too shabby. what can the new man do with them? We'll see tonight.

I never said he'd do a better job than muts. i said i was more excited than i have been for a couple of years.

Dont look on the negatives of a one year deal. he plays well and makes himself a better deal(like ports) then others will be watching hoping to make the same jump.

This post is up there with some of the worst I have seen!

So McGhee was a useless prick? This not the same McGhee that got us third in the league and into Europe twice?

If not then I have no idea what useless prick you are talking about.

Back onto topic. I am glad Gannon is going for players in English league and not the typical journeyman in the SPL. It will give us an edge I think.

;) Very funny mate, I do think McGhee is a prick, I'm not alone in my thoughts. Europe once on merit and the second time we were fortunate to get in the back door. MMG is a poor excuse for a human being with very questionable loyalty/morals.

Yes, I enjoyed the good times, however I do feel Gannon is a more rounded individual who will help us develop as a club, rather than whore himself out for the next job that comes up.

Anyway, glad to see us get Jennings on board, can't wait for tonight!!

A view from a Tranmere fan.

You've got yourselves a decent player in Steve Jennings.

Many of our fans are sorry to see him go, but that's football and his contract, or lack of was a major problem.

He played the whole of last season without a contract.

By all accounts he was holding out for more money, and I was told he wasn't asking for the earth.

I think he was on below average wages because he signed his last contract when he was a fringe player.

Under Ronnie Moore he played every game when he was available and wanted to be paid acordingly. Which is fair enough.

As for what you're getting on the pitch - A hard working, tough tackling midfielder.

His commitment can never be questioned and is not scared of a tackle.

He does the dirty work in the middle of the park that often goes un-noticed and allows more creative player to do their stuff.

So if you've got a canny lad along side Jenno I'm pretty sure he'll appreciate Jenno''s work rate.

He was Players Young Player of the Year a couple of years back and last season was voted Player of the Year by his peers.

Some of our fans moaned about him at times because, like I said, he does the dirty and often un-noticed job, but the players in the dressing room certainly appreciated him.

He's matured too at his time at Tranmere and would have been good captian material.

If there's one slight criticism is he never socred enough goals. He has it in him but when he did get forward he often didn't pull the trigger.

Maybe a change of scenery will bring out another side to him.

I think it's a good career move for him. I don't really know what the standard of the SPL is outside the Old Firm, but it's obviously higher than the English Third Division, contrary to what some of our fans say on our messageboard.

You've had a few ex Rovers players in your recent past.

Pat Nevin, Shaun Teale, Tommy Coyne, Ged Brannan, who I saw score on my visit to Fir Park.

I wish him all the best and will no doubt keep an eye out for your results next season.

Cheers for the information and opinions Kev, much appreciated.

He's a player I didn't know a thing about, and I'm sure barring our exiled posters, most on here would be in the same boat so cheers for taking the time to fill us in mate.

Think we've certainly been missing a mobile, tough tackling midfielder for years. Although if Hughes is to go, we don't really have any other midfield playmakers to help him out. Maybe Jim Gannon will sort that part of the midfield out also.

A 1 year deal does seem very strange. That's the equivalent of what Clarky and Quinn have/had at the moment! ;) Would like to hear the reasoning behind that (if true). That said, if he looks the part in the next few months, sit him down at Christmas, feed him turkey, and get an extension signed? I'm exicited to have signed a new, and by all accounts, high recommended player right away though.

I take it the Sky cameraman remark is some sort on "in" joke.

I was at the 3-3 draw with Celtic in 2000. I have a pal who lives in Scotland so get up there every year for a game. I reckon I've been to around 12 grounds of differing standards, from Celtic and Hampden to Dumbarton and Morton.

As for Ged, he played in our Masters team last weekend, which we won again. He still looks fit and I think he might still be playing for Vauxhalls on the Wirral.

Anyway, back to Jenno. Apparently he's on our local radio station at 6pm.

Here's the link.

http://www.citytalk.fm/

From Article in the Evening Times:

Meanwhile, Gannon, who admitted he was resigned to losing Quinn when he took over, has revealed his bid to land Stephen Jennings from Tranmere Rovers has fallen through after hitting a last-minute hitch.

Anyone know anything about this??

yes, they have taken it the wrong way. Gannon said they tried to get the deal done in time fior him to play but couldn't. He then said he was looking forward to working with him, so he has still signed, just not in time to face llanelli in either leg.

Not too sure. When the signing was announced the official site did state that there were some formalities still to be tied up. I must admit I was cynical when I heard we were getting him and unfortunately, for whatever reason, it appears to have been proven correct. Mind you, there has been no word from the club about this so hopefully we may get an explanation soon.

Hopefully the ET have got it wrong!

It is unlikely for Motherwell to announce anything officially if it wasn't 100% done and dusted, let's hope its just scaremongering.

Question was "Is Steve Jennings your wild card for next week?"

Gannon's answer was: “Unfortunately we tried our best to get the deal done in time but he won’t be. I’m looking forward to working with him."

So he won't be playing against Llanelli, but he will be playing against Flamurtari