New Season How Will We Do?

East_Stand_Al

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gdalli10 i'd be inclined to agree with you but there's always people who'll shoot you down for being over confident.

Delboyd is spot on Hearts did it, we did it before them, i think both of us have a shot this year... in McGhee's first year we had a chance to overtake rangers on boxing day but never capitalised and the events which followed that game ultimately had a bearing on the rest of the season. With this batch of young players who aren't at all afraid to have a go i see no reason why we cant capitalise on a pair of weak OF teams. B-)

And a cup run would be fantastic, our failure in the cups has been a blessing in disguise in recent years... if Malpas had beat St JOhnstone and taken us to the semis we could have been stuck with him, same with McGhee last year. Hopefully Jim Gannon's revolution will incorporate some days out to Hampden :thumbup:

I'll take staying away from any relegation worries,with the youngsters progressing and Gannon getting used to the SPL. We still have a very thin squad,yes I know others are in the same boat, and the inevitable injuries and suspensions could cause serious problems. Although Gannon already seems willingl to add versatility to our squad what with Reynolds deployed in midfield and O'Brien at right back.

1. Celtic

2.Rangers

3.Hearts-some decent signings and have kept hold of Driver. As long as Romanov stays in the background and they avoid administration they'll finish third pretty esaily I think.

4.Dundee Utd-solid side. Might struggle to replace Zaluska but still have enough to challenge for Europe.

5.Hibernian-some poor signings but if Nish and especially Riordan screw the nut they'll be dangerous.

6.Kilmarnock-if they avoid injuries Jeffries will do well again which is shame.

7.Aberdeen-have some useful players and Mcghee is still a competent manager.

8.Motherwell-transitional season.

9.StMirren-quite impressed with their signings. Won't entertain but will avoid the drop

10.St.Johnstone-McInnes seems to have a good rep but he's probably pals with a few journos. Promoted sides usually do ok if they keep the same group so the farmers should be ok.

11.Hamilton-Have lost a lot of players. Will surely struggle.

12.Falkirk-same as Hamilton. Already backroom infighting. Alex Smith will seal their fate.

why does everyone talk about splitting the old firm. why not a team to beat them both and win the league? i would love that, dont care which team did it would be great to break the current cycle

as for us i think weel finish in the top six comfortably

hopefully , but i'm, starting to worry that ill never see the day

I'm not too sure, however I think we will be a wee bit better prepared for the league than some others thanks to our Europa League adventures. I dont think there's a better way of getting young lads to gel together than taking them away for a few days, and this team has done that and included competitive matches in their as well.

This free weekend has also meant that Gannon has had them a wee bit longer to really put them through their paces and let them know exactly what he expects of them when they cross that touchline. So build up wise I think the pre-season has been excellent and I only hope the forthcoming League campaign is not a huge anti-climax.

I reckon if we show the kind of form we've showed in flashes so far a top six spot is the least we can expect.

For me I think we are miles better than StMirren, Falkirk, St Johnstone Accies and Killie. I think John Hughes is a complete buffoon and will take Hibs backwards. Mark Mcghee will make a howling c**t of it at Aberdeen due to his inability to actually sign anyone and on our day we are a match for United and Hearts. Young Slane will rip Weir and Caldwell new Arseholes when he gets at them. So all in all I for one will be gutted if we don't win the fucking thing!!

For me I think we are miles better than StMirren, Falkirk, St Johnstone Accies and Killie. I think John Hughes is a complete buffoon and will take Hibs backwards. Mark Mcghee will make a howling c**t of it at Aberdeen due to his inability to actually sign anyone and on our day we are a match for United and Hearts. Young Slane will rip Weir and Caldwell new Arseholes when he gets at them. So all in all I for one will be gutted if we don't win the fucking thing!!

That's the spirit!

why does everyone talk about splitting the old firm. why not a team to beat them both and win the league? i would love that, dont care which team did it would be great to break the current cycle

as for us i think weel finish in the top six comfortably

*resists posting yellow facepalm man*

facepalm.jpg

I'll take staying away from any relegation worries,with the youngsters progressing and Gannon getting used to the SPL. We still have a very thin squad,yes I know others are in the same boat, and the inevitable injuries and suspensions could cause serious problems.
That about sums it up for me. With so many enforced changes, 7th or 8th will do me fine in JG's first season. Anything more will be a fine bonus. Let's not forget our record so far is Played 6, Won 2, Lost 4. Of course we can improve on that, but youngsters tend to be inconsistent.

I just hope the people predicting 3rd or 4th don't see 7th or 8th as failure.

Always so negative weeyin! IF we get a RB and another striker in and avoid a plague of injuries (unlikely I know) then we can fucking rip apart this league.....yes we have loads of youngsters.....but we have fearless youngsters which counts for a lot

My predictions

Celtic

Rangers

Hearts

Motherwell

Dundee Utd

Aberdeen

St Johnstone

Hibs

Kilmarnock

St Mirren

Falkirk

Hamilton

Always so negative weeyin! IF we get a RB and another striker in and avoid a plague of injuries (unlikely I know) then we can fucking rip apart this league.....yes we have loads of youngsters.....but we have fearless youngsters which counts for a lot
It's not negative, it's experience. It's a well established fact that it takes a new manager about 3 full seasons to build the team he wants. It's also a well established fact that youngsters are inconsistent - Gannon has said that himself. It's nothing to do with being fearless - it's to do with consistency. And when they are 2-0 down at St. Mirren on a wet Wednesday night, getting booed by half the 'Well support, it's not fearlessness that will dig them out. It's the experience of being there before (which they don't have yet).

To think that you can build a team in 3 months that is going to finish 3rd in the league is fantasty-land. Of course, it might happen, but it's much more likely to be a progression over a season or two. We need to get the foundation in place first. Nothing wrong with a midtable finish in year one.

It's not negative, it's experience. It's a well established fact that it takes a new manager about 3 full seasons to build the team he wants.

To think that you can build a team in 3 months that is going to finish 3rd in the league is fantasty-land.

McGhee :P

I guess I'm just overly optimistic but from looking at the other SPL teams we have nothing to worry about

I'm maybe being a bit too pessimistic here too, but like weeyin, I think a comfortable season is ahead. I think we'll be well clear of the shite at the bottom, but don't know if we'll have what it takes to grind out results against the anti-football wee teams like St. Mirren, Killie and Rankgers. :P

I think a good season will be if we get top six. Anything above that would be totally amazing. However, even a finish of 7th/8th with obvious signs of improvement in the team over the course of the season will do me.

I think seeing how the young guys get on, plus having Gannon around to see how he adapts to the SPL, and of course his new signings - well, it makes it one hell of a season to look forward.

Towards the end of last season I must admit to losing a fragment of my obsession with MFC, and questioned why I should be so passionate about our club when there were those on the park and those in charge who seemingly couldn't care less, intent on pursuing a selfish self-centred agenda elsewhere. We had a manager that viewed us with increasing contempt, we had players influenced by whoring agents and as a team / club we had lost any direction or focus that had filled us with such optimism just a season before.

This downer was exaggerated by the fact that I'd become totally pissed off at Scottish football as a whole... I'd become sick at the total disregard for loyal supporters, the systematic stifling of attempts to create atmosphere / trying to support your team, the expectation that we'll all turn up no matter what, the patronising way we're dictated to by the authorities telling us what we want / what we need, the ever increasing charging structure which defies basic economics and supply & demand, the old firm totally shafting 'others' & the 'others' becoming sickeningly submissive pandering to their every whim and the exasperatingly monotonous influence of the media attempting (as usual) to condescendingly prejudice the masses whilst nauseatingly worshipping the Glasgow parasites.

I spoke to Yir Elder towards the end of the season and vented my frustrations... he simply said "forget the disappointment" "it's Motherwell" "it's in your blood" "it's the way of life you've had for 40+ years" "you'll renew your season tickets and you'll be back, fully committed by the start of the new season".... And do you know what – he was spot on! :lol:

I love Jim Gannon's enthusiasm, I love the new generation of players, I love the excitement of what we might achieve, I love the way we've represented ourselves in Europe, I love the optimism that has enveloped our club, I love the eternal passion, friendship and loyalty of our support... and most of all, I've remembered that no matter what - I unconditionally love and support Motherwell FC!

So now I look forward with a childish Christmas expectation to a fulfilling new season full of the usual heartache and euphoria served up in copious measures. I expect the rollercoaster to churn my stomach inside out, I expect to witness fantastic performances tempered with numerous kicks in the balls, I expect to be let down and lifted up in the space of a heartbeat, I confidently expect Jim Gannon to build a team we can be proud of and I optimistically expect us to once again challenge defiantly against the evil from Glasgow... but most of all - I expect to love every minute of it!

My prediction – if we get off to a good start, Motherwell to finish fourth and embark on another European adventure in 2010! :P

I think we might just squeeze 6th if we can stay clear of too many injuries and suspentions. If the auld heads in the side can guide the likes of Forbes, Coke and Hutchison through I think we'll be all right. If our European nights are anything to go by I think we'll create a lot of chances but we need someone up front to play off Sutton and a new right back is a must.

The 'Well to win 2-1 on Saturday to get us off to a flyer.

MON THE 'WELL

Towards the end of last season I must admit to losing a fragment of my obsession with MFC, and questioned why I should be so passionate about our club when there were those on the park and those in charge who seemingly couldn't care less, intent on pursuing a selfish self-centred agenda elsewhere. We had a manager that viewed us with increasing contempt, we had players influenced by whoring agents and as a team / club we had lost any direction or focus that had filled us with such optimism just a season before.

This downer was exaggerated by the fact that I'd become totally pissed off at Scottish football as a whole... I'd become sick at the total disregard for loyal supporters, the systematic stifling of attempts to create atmosphere / trying to support your team, the expectation that we'll all turn up no matter what, the patronising way we're dictated to by the authorities telling us what we want / what we need, the ever increasing charging structure which defies basic economics and supply & demand, the old firm totally shafting 'others' & the 'others' becoming sickeningly submissive pandering to their every whim and the exasperatingly monotonous influence of the media attempting (as usual) to condescendingly prejudice the masses whilst nauseatingly worshipping the Glasgow parasites.

I spoke to Yir Elder towards the end of the season and vented my frustrations... he simply said "forget the disappointment" "it's Motherwell" "it's in your blood" "it's the way of life you've had for 40+ years" "you'll renew your season tickets and you'll be back, fully committed by the start of the new season".... And do you know what – he was spot on! :D

I love Jim Gannon's enthusiasm, I love the new generation of players, I love the excitement of what we might achieve, I love the way we've represented ourselves in Europe, I love the optimism that has enveloped our club, I love the eternal passion, friendship and loyalty of our support... and most of all, I've remembered that no matter what - I unconditionally love and support Motherwell FC!

So now I look forward with a childish Christmas expectation to a fulfilling new season full of the usual heartache and euphoria served up in copious measures. I expect the rollercoaster to churn my stomach inside out, I expect to witness fantastic performances tempered with numerous kicks in the balls, I expect to be let down and lifted up in the space of a heartbeat, I confidently expect Jim Gannon to build a team we can be proud of and I optimistically expect us to once again challenge defiantly against the evil from Glasgow... but most of all - I expect to love every minute of it!

My prediction – if we get off to a good start, Motherwell to finish fourth and embark on another European adventure in 2010! :doh:

Great Post <_<

I spoke to Yir Elder towards the end of the season and vented my frustrations... he simply said "forget the disappointment" "it's Motherwell" "it's in your blood" "it's the way of life you've had for 40+ years" "you'll renew your season tickets and you'll be back, fully committed by the start of the new season".... And do you know what – he was spot on! :doh:

My prediction – if we get off to a good start, Motherwell to finish fourth and embark on another European adventure in 2010! <_<

Glenmorangie you are the new John Hughes (Film Director) not John Hughes (my players all have six packs so they deserve to avoid relegation). Life affirming, who needs Miracle on 34th Street or Home Alone. You start with the trials and tribulations of life and build up to happy ending. Only thing is you need to work on the ending. It should read. Motherwell to finish 1st, going on to beat Barcalona in next seasons Champions League Final!

Good post and sums up the life of the Well fan.

St Johnstone 1 - Motherwell 2

Also spotted that out of the herald/evening times team Darryl Broadfoot and Bert Mitchell have tipped us for relegation this year. Think they'll be suprised.

Anyone have a link to The Herald/Evening Times Predictions. I don't understand where they get these predictions from. The only thing I can think is that Jim Gannon is the only manager they know nothing about, so they have come to the conclusion that he is rubbish.

What exactly are Falkirk, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Hamilton doing to suggest that they will be stronger than us this season?

I suppose I should read their thoughts before jumping in but it seems like a strange choice to me. Do they actually give it any thought at all?

The only thing I can think is that Jim Gannon is the only manager they know nothing about, so they have come to the conclusion that he is rubbish.

Typical Weegie gutter journalism at its best/worst. Remember Darryl Broadfoot last season after the 1-1 with Celtic descibed the 'Well support as "the most cretinous in the league" after apparently we "moaned and wailed" at every decision given against us. I wrote to him and asked if he would ever even dream of describing the supporters of the Old Firm in such a way. Of course he never replied.

At the start of every season (and often throughout!) I worry about Motherwell getting relegated, and this is no different. We have the potential to take teams by surprise this season, but we also have consider the possibility that we have a very weak and inexperienced squad that may not fair well when the going gets tough. Like every season, a strong start could make all the difference.