New Season How Will We Do?

East_Stand_Al

I'd settle for mid-table and good runs in both cups. If you look at the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs they have gone backwards, maybe even Hearts too but United still appear half decent.

If we can avoid too many injuries and suspensions and add 2 or 3 then we will do just fine.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards. As long as we aren't threatened by relegation and we play football in the correct manner, with the correct heart and attitude, and we see the young boys develop, that to me is a good season.

me personally would take 6th or 7th this season although my aim for the team would be the top 6 with a really got cup run just hope if we dont get off to a good start that the fans dont turn against the team or jim gannon as he needs time to make an impact and get in his own players here's hoping for a good and exciting season :nod:

My only prediction for the season is that we won't have a single 0-0 draw.

I think we'll come out flying on Saturday with a fairly comfortable win.

We went something like seventy odd league games without a nil-nil draw, until BBC showed an incredibly boring 0-0 draw with Hearts on December 27th, 2003.

Cautiously optimisitic at the moment. We do need some new faces though, another striker,and a right back at the minimum.

I think as is we look strong enough to do ok but there is a big element of doubt as to how much we an expect week in week out from some of the younger players.

1) Celtic

2) Rangers

3) Hearts

4) Dundee Utd

5) Motherwell

6) Aberdeen

7) Hibs

:thumbup: St Johnstone

9) St Mirren

10) Falkirk

11) Kilmarnock

12) Hamilton Accies

Celtic are a stick on to win the league, can't see anything other than that. Rangers obviously to finish 2nd, Hearts are better than any other team outwith the OF, and I think they'll comfortably finish 3rd. Dundee Utd have one of the best gaffers in the league, and I reckon they'll get 4th. The reason I've put us so highly is that everybody else is either shite or has a shite gaffer. Aberdeen seem to have a tight squad, but we know what Mutley can do, so I reckon they'll get 6th. John Hughes is a complete muppet, and Hibs will struggle to make the top 6 this year. St Johnstone I reckon will do well this year, as will St Mirren I think. Falkirk will be 10th, Killie 11th coz they're gash and the Accies are goin down.

Perhaps slightly optomistic sticking us 5th, but when you look at the state of some of the other teams, I'd say it's fairly attainable.

with no spending from rangers i think this could be the year someone splits the old firm. Csaba laszlo certainly seems confident. And once we see how the start of the season goes and Gannon has the chance to strengthen in the areas that need to be i think we could challenge to. but its a big maybe. We say it all the time but no-ones scared to have a go at the old firm these days. we were the last side to split them before hearts and from what i've seen so far from Gannon's side, there isnt a team we couldnt beat- comfortably so.

I shall, however, see how optimistic i am come saturday at 5pm.

This thread is getting a bit disjointed. Is it about the score on Saturday, how Well will do this season or how everyone will do?

With JG's positive and creative direction, some good signings and promising young talent, I predict The Well will steer clear of relegation and will have the odd great result. But it may be another year or so before we see an established side playing well consistently. So if you've watched The Well for years, expect some rank rotten performances too. Mid table could be either side of 6th spot.

Seeing as others have gone for league predictions - here's mine.

1 Celtic (Mowbray has cash and tactical no-how)

2 Rangers (Same players, same system, same performance, same results. Just not as good as Celtic.)

3 Hearts (Although a cash crisis one day will see them replace Livingston in Div3 :O )

4 Dundee Utd (Where do they get their money from? Levein has made some good signings. should put them above the rest of the pack... but they often come unstuck, don't they?)

5 Kilmarnock (Nae money but they are an established side. Jeffries may be a misery, but he's a wise one)

6 MOTHERWELL (I'm a glass half full kind o guy)

7 St Johnstone (McInnes may be a good manager in the making. Expect a few surprises.)

8 Hibs (Hughes may be a Hibbee but he's not got enough talent to work with.)

9 St Mirren (Better than last year - but only a bit)

10 Aberdeen (A shocking season in store - no money, no talent, no graft. McGhee to England before May)

11 Hamilton (Life without McCarthy - bleak)

12 Falkirk (In same boat as Killie - but no experienced manager or established side. Best stadium in Div 1 Season 10-11)

Score on Saturday - combo of Well optimism and Euro sharpness v newly promoted, keen and at home - a draw will be fine.

Think I am already on record as saying that I think the OF will be split this year. Certainly think we will have a very good season presuming we enjoy the same luck we had in McGhee's first season - suspensions, injuries etc. We are going to be an unknown quantity for much of the SPL (who have either treaded water or gone backwards) not only in terms of players but also in tactics and attitude. I think we may see the return of the gallus streak shown by the Faddy/Pearo team and not being afraid of who we are playing and having a right good go at allcomers. If all that comes to pass (as well as a new right back, centre half and striker to come into the squad) then, who knows, maybe we will be that team to split the OF. Obviously that is VERY optimistic and, like I said, would need EVERYTHING To go our way but in all honesty the other 11 SPL teams don't scare me in the slightest. I think Cletic will win it, Rangers will dro maybe to 3rd and Killie will be relegated whcih means goodbye to the original Killie Crankie - Jim Jefferies. Oh, and I foresee a season of mayhem up in Aberdeen which McGhee and Leitch won't survive.

1. Celtic (Mowbray will make it work despite having Danny Fox at left back.)

2. Rangers (They have Kris Boyd and with Thompson back they wont miss Ferguson)

3. Hearts (Big Shabba will keep his team together, they made fade away as the season draws to a close)

4. Dundee Utd (Levin will do his usual and be raging at refs then will throw away third place)

5. Motherwell (After a bright start the team will begin to fade as the rest of the league figures out how to play against us. Hope not though.)

6. St. Mirren (Just a feeling they will do much better than usual)

7/8 Aberdeen/Hibs (Regime change will drag the teams backwards)

9. Killie (Kevin Kyle and Mark Burchill up top, could surprise a lot of teams, Jeffries is a wank though)

10. St. Johnstone (Will take advantage of teams understimating them)

11. Hamilton (Unless their signings turn out to be better than thought they will struggle without Talisman McCarthy)

12. Falkirk (Think that they will just be beaten by Killie to survival)

1. Tims

2. Buns

3. D U

4. Dons

5. Killie

6. Well

7. Jambos

8. Midden

9. Hibs

10. Accies

11. Falkirk

12. ST J

I think it will be something like this - Celtic clear in 1st with h**s and D U battling for 2nd (D U look stronger this year but can Webster play against the h**s!) Anyone could be from 4th to 9th - Jambos & Hibs are Weaker, McGhee will do ok with the Dons, Killie with Kyle should do well, the Midden look stronger as well. I would be delighted with 6th for the Well (think it more likely to be 9th though).

The bottom 3 will be battling relegation - cant see Eddie Maybe doing much with Falkirk - they will battle with the Farmers against relegation with the Accies staying just above them all season.

The Midden or Killie for me could be the surprise package this year. The Well will be next year after our youngsters have been blooded this season (if we can keep hold of them)

I wouldn't say hearts are much weaker, Laszlo's made a few decent signings but perhaps hasn't replaced the quality he has lost. i think their lack of a recognised striker will be their weakness. I don't see Dundee Utd as the force they seem to be recognized as, they seem to be forever plagued with injuries and ALWAYS seem to burn out... As long as Gary Kenneth has a place we should be able to repeat last season's 4-0 mauling :thumbup:

Celtic to run away with it, Hearts and Motherwell to find themselves either side of rangers, who ends up where depends on luck and the head to heads. Dundee utd there or there abouts and Hibs or Killie to get the last top 6 spot. the rest of them will fight it out to avoid relegation, not so much aberdeen as Mcghee might just manage to have a similar season with them as he did with us last season. maybe not thought. Accies or St Mirren for the drop.

banjaxed :thumbup:

aye maybe the wheels will come off at some point but i think it just takes the ambition to do it and Csaba definitely has that, hopefully Jim will too once he gets to know the players strengths a bit better. I know we can get ahead of ourselves a bit but we've got nothing to fear from the rest of the dross in the league B-)

I think that we will finish in the Top 6 possibly pushing for third or fourth. Hopefully this year we won't be conceding as many goals from set pieces and with a commanding goalkeeper in John Ruddy. I would expect him to save us at least half a dozen goals from corners, free kicks where Buzz would not.

Glad to see a lot of pace in the team this year, Slane especially the one to watch this season. There's a few players needing to put a stone on and gain a bit of muscle, Murphy, Reynolds and Saunders to name a few.

All going well avoiding injuries and suspensions reaching the top 6 should not be a problem.

why does everyone talk about splitting the old firm. why not a team to beat them both and win the league? i would love that, dont care which team did it would be great to break the current cycle

as for us i think weel finish in the top six comfortably

Hearts did it a few seasons ago no?? Its not impossible, ironically i see it being the Green half of the scum who will struggle, but thats not what this thread is about, id say possibly top 4, depending on if we can bring some new faces in before the window, preferrably a Striker and a huge motherfucker of a centre back. Would absolutely LOVE to win one of the cups, have a decent push for a european sopt, but its heart ruling head, possibly quarters and top 6 is more likely, who knows!!!!