New Season How Will We Do?

East_Stand_Al

I was on P&B this afternoon, and there's a thread about the opening game

It strikes me that most if not all of the Midden/Killie types are basng thier opinions on last season not having seen any of our recent games only the results.

At risk of being overly optimistic I think we could be the dark horses this seaon, although I'm sure the other SPL bosses are not as naive or introspective as their fans.

My prediction for game 1 :- St Johnstone 1 'Well 3

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First two games are very winnable and anything less than four points would be a disappointment. However rank rotten Aberdeen were in Europe they will still be a tough ask for us and after that its Rangers and United so you could see us chasing after that run. Overall I think we are better than Falkirk, boths Saints, Killie and Hamilton and I think we are much of a muchness with Aberdeen, Hibs and United. However these three have a bit more experience so I expect us to finish a clear seventh. On Saturday I expect us to be up against it - this is a game in most weekends I'd expect three points, this weekend with first game, championship flag and enthusiasm for something new we will struggle and I think itcould well be a 2-2.

The feeling amongst many, and I agree, is that we will come flying out the traps this season and quite possibly give both St Johnstone and Killie the pumpy in the first two games and go top of the league due to our tough/effective work out pre-season and promising new players who are quick and technical. Perhaps after a round and a half the SPL will have worked us out as basically just young/fast with no experience and our 6 tough games will catch up on us too. Additionally if we don't find another Striker we will struggle after a few games.

The rest of the SPL has barely strengthened and on a one-off game Gannon's team could take last season's shitey Rangers team or a Celtic on an off day to the cleaners. |So, two outcomes this season:

A. It IS Possible to get into the top 4 and/or League/Scottish cup run to the semis at least.

B. Or we get found out early on and don't replace DC/Ports and we could struggle and languish in 9th/10th (there are worse than us - no need to worry abour the R word I reckon.)

According to NOTW our last victory at the breeze block arena was when Jim Griffin scored in a 1-0 victory thought we had won up there since then

The question should really be when you last lost in Perth. In fact, I'm not convinced you'll have been beaten since the 5-0 game, Billy Davies first as manager. That's over a decade ago now.

That 5-0 defeat in Davies' first game was indeed our last defeat in Perth.

The last time we played up there was the Scottish Cup game in 2004 when McDonald made his debut and we won 3-0. We also won our last league fixture up there back in March 2002 just before we went into admin when we won 2-0.

We've actually won the last four games that we've played up there, so that report that we haven't won since Jim Griffin's days is complete nonsense.

Also spotted that out of the herald/evening times team Darryl Broadfoot and Bert Mitchell have tipped us for relegation this year

That should be pinned to the wall to serve as a motivational tool!! I'd love us to make a great start and have that tool Darryl Broadfoot eat his words as he's a total arsehole!

It really could go either way for us this season. I still think the squad is far too weak to compete long term. Another striker, a right back, and possibly another centre half are needed for the long haul.

The big two jobbies will obviously be the top 2. I think Hearts and Dundee Utd will be next. After that, I don't think there will be too much between the rest. I would bite your arm off for staying clear of a relegation battle...and for a point on the first day.

I reckon we'll do ok, don't think the standard is that high tbh. I also think the Jambos will have a decent season :woop::wallbash: .

1. Tims

2. Jambos

3. Buns

4. Are Shite

5. Motherwell

6. Hibs

7. Aberdeen

8. Kilmarnock

9. Accies

10. St Mirren

11. St Johnstone

12. Falkirk

You've lost me with number 4!!!

I think we will struggle this season and would take avoiding relegation right now if offered. Given the players we've lost and the size of the squad, it is hard to see us doing anything else but struggle. We have a squad made up of youngsters and players from the lower leagues in England and we don't know how they will cope with the SPL. I'm not saying that I expect us to be relegated at this stage, but I certainly don't think we will be top six either.

I reckon we'll finish around 9th or 10th and if we do that, then Gannon will have done well in his first season up here.

I'm optimistic for the next campaign, opening day against a newly promoted team is always tough but we are only side in the league with a real freshness and im sure we will steer well clear of relegation.

I predict a 2-0 win

Long time no speak boys and girls!

I hope you're all optimistic about the season and are raring to go.

You've certainly bagged yourself a good manager in Gannon.

Fingers crossed for you this season!! :D

The way your username gets cuts off (JusticeForIainHu...) makes it sound like you're campaigning for justice for Iain Huntley. :wallbash:

1-1 bore. :woop:

Dundee United

Indeed ......... famous Dundee fans song from the 70's/80's which ended with the repeated lyrics .... Dundee United ARE SHITE, Dundee United ARE SHITE, etc., etc.,

The TV gantry at Dens was under their Shed terrace roof above their more vociferous fans and this little ditty was often heard on Scotsport on a Saturday night :wallbash:

I think we will struggle this season and would take avoiding relegation right now if offered. Given the players we've lost and the size of the squad, it is hard to see us doing anything else but struggle. We have a squad made up of youngsters and players from the lower leagues in England and we don't know how they will cope with the SPL. I'm not saying that I expect us to be relegated at this stage, but I certainly don't think we will be top six either.

I reckon we'll finish around 9th or 10th and if we do that, then Gannon will have done well in his first season up here.

Part of me feels that way too. I still feel the sales of Clarkson and Quinn will come back to haunt us....

The Old Firm will occupy the Usual top 2 places but below that is a complete Lottery!

Hearts have lost Aguiar,Karipidis,Cesnauskis,Mikolaunis,Neilsen

Aberdeen have lost Severin,Mair,Smith

Hibs have lost Jones + Fletcher

Hamilton have lost Easton,McCarthy,Offiong + a couple more plus possibly McArthur

St Mirren are stronger,Dundee Utd as well, St Johnstone we dont know really, Falkirk are weaker, Killie are much the same

So looking at that, with a little luck we could finish 3rd or it might be 10th, At the moment as all squads stand I would say

1.Celtic

2.Rangers

3.Dundee Utd

4.Hearts

5.Motherwell

6.Hibs

7.Aberdeen

8.Killie

9.St Midden

10.St Johnstone

11.Falkirk

12.Hamilton

but with 3 weeks left to sign players as I said, It is a complete Lottery

I think we're pretty well placed for a good season, compared to the other main top 6 contenders i think we're going to score much more goals and from all over the place. Sutton and Murphy work really well together and McHugh looks like he's gonna pester defences and have a go at players, in a wayne rooney kind of way. Outside the attackers Slane and Forbes are always looking for a pop at goal (quite spectacularly as we've seen already) and even the centre-backs Reynolds and Hutchison are having a go. Night and Day compared to McGhee's side last year.

Compare that to Hearts who dont have a real striker of any description (case in point, Callum Elliot's injury is a disaster for them :nod: ) and the goal scoring midfielders are gone.

Craig Levein at united is having even more problems with forwards this season and Hibs have lost Fletcher and seen Riordan fall out of favour.

And needless to say Muttley doesnt have a clue :nod: