The Referee

Kmcalpin

I thought today's referee, Euan Norris, had a very poor game, and although he inflenced the character of the game he did not influence its outcome, fortunately. He got the penalty decision right but little else. From start to finish he was inconsistent. Keith Lasley's yellow card was unfathomable. It was his first foul, if it was one at all and very soft. Constrast that with his treatment of Celtic's Majstorovic. He had a shocking early challenge on Ross Forbes, I think, yet got off scot free. He then committed foul after foul. To add insult to injury, Scott Brown whacked Keith Lasley in the face under the referee's gaze, yet no action was taken. Gunning was also booked for his first foul. Jenning's also booked for a foul yet a Celtic player committed an identical one yet no action was taken?

What was with Neil Lennon twice advancing several metres onto the pitch whilst the game was in progress - yet no action taken against him?

Not good enough.

Very point I was made throughout the game. Virtually as soon as a Motherwell player mistimed a tackle, out came the yellow. Yet the only think they received a booking for was for kicking the ball away. And at that they went mental.

I thought the referee generally had good foul detection but then let himself down with inconsistencies with bookings. Even taking the C&A tinted specs he booked Lasley for his first and let Forbes away with about six similar offences. Though to be fair I thought Gunning's tackle, first or otherwise, was cynical and late enough that it merited a yellow on its own. But Lasley could have found himself out the game if he couldn't tackle because of that.

The other huge issue that was wrong was the shocking application of advantage after the foul in the first half. Firstly it looked like a foul but not clear either way so to play on was fair enough but the assistant was flagging so he brought it back just as Humprhey was about to be one on one. That was staggeringly poor.

Of course the biggest decision in the game was the penalty which the assistant on our side gave. From our side looked a penalty. From the other side where the ref was less clear as proved by original telly footage. So credit it to him for working with his assistant and getting it right.

Definitely room for improvement but I've seen a lot worse.

Thought the ref was cronic. He wasn't getting things wrong he just wouldn't give us anything.

Was he scared of Majstorovic ? didn't book him for pushing Gunnning over in the box and stamping on his head!!! and what was the deal with him and Sutton ? ref seemed to only speak to John while that baldy c#nt kept scream.

Very inconsistent. Took ages to book Forbes, he committed a series of fouls before getting booked. Contrast that with Lasley who got booked for his first.

Forbes could easily have been sent off for persistent fouling.

Can't help feeling that Lennon's behaviour earlier this season has permeated into the sub-concious of our officials. The referee was inconsistent at best and inept at worst.

The linesman had no hesitation on penalty and referee followed his advice. After watching the replays I can't see any problem with the award.

I put the lack of advantage when Humphrey was on a potential one-on-one due to the fact the referee may have perceived their was a head injury (which results in an immediate cease of play). It doesn't bother me so much as he would have probably squandered the break anyway.

Unfortunately I was stuck with catching bits & pieces of the game on the radio as I was working yesterday - the commentary team (including Smellic MacLeod & Stevie Craigan) made the point a few times about the 'soft' decisions being given against Motherwell - both were also very critcal of the ref when he didn't allow play to continue with Humph having the one on one.

As for the penalty, I don't believe the full back intentionally clipped Las, which threw his balance, but clip him he did, so the award was correct - brilliant finish from Sutton - no keeper was going to stop that one

MON RA DOSSERS

I reckon it was easily a penalty. Seen the slow mo on Sky Sports and he catches his leg which causes lasleys foot to catch on the turf and trip. Penalty.

That's exactly it. Unintentional and wasn't even trying to tackle lasley. Took me a few replays to see it but he just clips Lasleys heel enough to drives his foot into the turf. Very well spotted by the linesman.

The referee was a waste of space,

- Majstorovic got away with murder both hands round Sutton at every opportunity.

- Always ready to award free kicks to Celtic for the slightest of challenges, Commons diving in the 1st half was embarassing.

- Shocking decision to stop play as Motherwell were breaking 1 on 1 with Humphrey.

- Not having a word with Lennon, he was that far onto the pitch at times i thought he was playing.

- Bookings for Lasley and Jennings for nothing.

Having just watched the rerun of the first half on Sky I'd like to apologise for criticising him about the yellow for Lasley. Had he just booked him for the foul criticism would have been merited but the Celtic player tried to play on and Las hauled him back so to me the yellow was the right decision whether it was first foul or not. Agree Mastorovic was lucky not to be cautioned earlier than he was but no complaints about Las now.

Apparently Euan Norris is a Motherwell fan. One of the guys in my work referees junior football and knows him. He asked me this morning what I honestly thought of his performance and I reiterated a lot of what was said on here.

Fuck even our own 'homers' go against us, what chance have we got? :lol::D

I reckon he probably goes against us as much so no-one can point the finger and accuse him of being a homer.